Re: [rocknroll-scars] APRAs role

  • Narrell Brown
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2001
      Great point Tony
      I used to be involved with Triple U (community radio) in Nowra and was
      devastated by the loss of the recording sheets - I playlisted stacks of
      unsigned artists and you can't tell me that without those sheets that
      everyone would get a fair go.
      Averaging out apparently is supposed to mean that the monies collected
      just get shared amongst the songwriters - which seems pretty strange.
      I know of some people who have written stuff and belong to APRA but it
      never sees the light of day anywhere.

      Keith, you would know - do you still have to do your own tracking of
      your own works and put in the songwriters return to APRA?
      If so, that is probably the only way they have of knowing what's going
      on but it is pretty hard for a songwriter to tune into every radio
      station in the country to hear their stuff and because playlists are not
      recorded it is pretty hard to find out what stations are even playing
      the songs.

      Very tricky indeed!

      --
      Narrell
      *~*~
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Spot on Tony, the 'average' system works in the favour of the big players. In
        my own case I'm lucky enough to get a lot of ABC play on a national basis, so
        that filters down and rounds out but localised artists really suffer from this
        or some acts like the Gadflys who get a lot of play in a concentrated period of
        time can go either way, average out to a lot or very little. The lack of
        community reports have meant many get less, as for the PPCA that is a whole
        other crap-shoot. K
        PS my airplay tracks are distributed to over 600 people or stations on a little
        combined artist 'showbag' Mick Hamilton & I set up and it is working well in
        terms of exposure. The latest one has a track from me, Mick, Ross Wilson,
        Lyndsay Hammond and six others and they are all getting played.

        Tony Jaggers wrote:

        > On the Button....very few people do understand the role of APRA but there is
        > a point
        > thats been niggling me over the past years.
        > When I started in Community Radio in '89 we lived in dread of "Apra Week"
        > which came about
        > every couple of months.....during this week ALL music to air had to be
        > recorded on an
        > appropriate Apra form with Title, Artist, Composer and Catalogue Nos. My job
        > at the end of the week was to fill in all the missing details that
        > announcers missed either through stupidity,
        > old age or apathy...it was a big job.
        > Six years ago this given the flick with Apra stating they would "average"
        > out what was played.
        > All Community Radios were exempt the reporting and (I understand) a lot of
        > regional stations.
        > Average What!! How does Apra have an inkling of what these hundreds of
        > stations are playing.
        > If for example a new CD by Keith Glass was distributed to all community
        > stations on release
        > and just suppose everyone loved it and flogged it to death there would be no
        > way Keith would
        > benefit from that extra playing.
        > The Gadflys did a Community Radio tour some years ago and as did 2EAR FM a
        > lot of
        > stations playlisted Gadflys material as a promotional tool........but theres
        > no way this would have been taken into the averaging by Apra.
        > Apra do a great job and they are vital to an artists income but is this
        > system fair
        >
        > Tony
        >
        > MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975
        >
        > http://milesago.gq.nu

      • Keith Glass
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
          APRA suggest any unusual or heavy use of a song you report to them as they
          may not pick it up, also anytime you do an original on TV, tell 'em. My
          biggest song reported by last year by APRA though, was among the smallest
          through PPCA - now some-one is going to ask "What's PPCA?' It is a performer
          based royalty organisation, funded from various sources and you gotta be in
          it to get it.
          It really is luck of draw - one year I got 3 times as much from PPCA as
          APRA, last year the reverse, you just pray for a good cheque! K