[rocknroll-scars] Once were warriors...

  • dunks58@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 1999
      From the "Stay in Touch" column in today's Sydney Morning Herald
      (17/11/99)

      MUSHROOM KEPT IN DARK OVER JOB LOSSES

      The slow death of Mushroom Records continues. The Melbourne-based label
      which gave us Kylie Minogue, Hunters and Collectors and (until
      recently) Paul Kelly is but a shadow of its former self after a purge
      conducted by its parent company, Festival Records.

      Last Friday, 25 (out of about 200) staff of Festival were advised they
      were being retrenched, the biggest blow falling at the Mushroom office,
      where six out of the eight remaining staff were tapped on the shoulder
      and the management of Mushroom was merged with Festival.

      A year ago when Festival Records (a part of the Murdoch empire)
      acquired 100 per cent of Mushroom it promised the growth of the label
      and as recently as six weeks ago Festival chairman Roger Grierson
      called SIT to deny that Mushroom would be further eroded. But as
      Festival's managing director, Jeremy Fabinyi, put it yesterday, the
      "difficult trading environment" for record companies made this move
      inevitable.

      While describing the move as "more of an equal partnership", Fabinyi
      said that "it was in the interest of Australian music that there be one
      strong independent company" to compete with the multinationals that
      dominate the market.

      Fabinyi pointed to the fact that the company would be known as the
      Festival-Mushroom group, retaining both names. However, he agreed that
      it is probably fair to see that double-barrel name future in the
      context of a St George-Illawarra, Canterbury-Bankstown,
      Cronulla-Sutherland past.

      (Cue to a shot of Michael Gudindski speeding off into the sunset in an
      imported luxury car, to the tune of Steve Miller's "Take The Money &
      Run".)

      Hmmm ... "in the interest of Australian music" huh Jeremy? I'm still
      trying to figure out how selling the only large Australian-owned record
      company to News Corp was in the interest of Australian music. Good on
      you Gudinski. What a hero. What a great Australian you are.

      Which reminds me ... I sent a letter to Mushroom last year, protesting
      Gudinksi's unprincipled sell-out to Murdoch, which I felt was made
      doubly cynical because his sham assertion that the sale was in protest
      against the government's parallel importing laws. I got a stinging
      rebuke from one of their staff in reply, which said, in part, that
      "...opinions are like assholes - everybody's got one." (Ouch). I wonder
      if that person is feeling quite so clever this week? Actually I wonder
      if the poor soul even has a job this week? He'll probably be a little
      less eager to spring to the defence of his erstwhile boss, that's for
      sure.

      Sadly,
      Dunks
    • Keith Glass
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 1999
        You know I always hated Mush for what they did/didn't do for Melb music scene - Godinski still has last payment from Murderoch to come and word is he ain't gonna get it due to recently discovered trashed computer files.
        A friend

        dunks58@... wrote:

        >From the "Stay in Touch" column in today's Sydney Morning Herald
        (17/11/99)

        MUSHROOM KEPT IN DARK OVER JOB LOSSES

        The slow death of Mushroom Records continues. The Melbourne-based label
        which gave us Kylie Minogue, Hunters and Collectors and (until
        recently) Paul Kelly is but a shadow of its former self after a purge
        conducted by its parent company, Festival Records.

        Last Friday, 25 (out of about 200) staff of Festival were advised they
        were being retrenched, the biggest blow falling at the Mushroom office,
        where six out of the eight remaining staff were tapped on the shoulder
        and the management of Mushroom was merged with Festival.

        A year ago when Festival Records (a part of the Murdoch empire)
        acquired 100 per cent of Mushroom it promised the growth of the label
        and as recently as six weeks ago Festival chairman Roger Grierson
        called SIT to deny that Mushroom would be further eroded. But as
        Festival's managing director, Jeremy Fabinyi, put it yesterday, the
        "difficult trading environment" for record companies made this move
        inevitable.

        While describing the move as "more of an equal partnership", Fabinyi
        said that "it was in the interest of Australian music that there be one
        strong independent company" to compete with the multinationals that
        dominate the market.

        Fabinyi pointed to the fact that the company would be known as the
        Festival-Mushroom group, retaining both names. However, he agreed that
        it is probably fair to see that double-barrel name future in the
        context of a St George-Illawarra, Canterbury-Bankstown,
        Cronulla-Sutherland past.

        (Cue to a shot of Michael Gudindski speeding off into the sunset in an
        imported luxury car, to the tune of Steve Miller's "Take The Money &
        Run".)

        Hmmm ... "in the interest of Australian music" huh Jeremy? I'm still
        trying to figure out how selling the only large Australian-owned record
        company to News Corp was in the interest of Australian music. Good on
        you Gudinski. What a hero. What a great Australian you are.

        Which reminds me ... I sent a letter to Mushroom last year, protesting
        Gudinksi's unprincipled sell-out to Murdoch, which I felt was made
        doubly cynical because his sham assertion that the sale was in protest
        against the government's parallel importing laws. I got a stinging
        rebuke from one of their staff in reply, which said, in part, that
        "...opinions are like assholes - everybody's got one." (Ouch). I wonder
        if that person is feeling quite so clever this week? Actually I wonder
        if the poor soul even has a job this week? He'll probably be a little
        less eager to spring to the defence of his erstwhile boss, that's for
        sure.

        Sadly,
        Dunks

        A shopperÂ’s dream come true! Find practically anything on earth at eBay!
        Come and browse the more than 2 million items up for bid at any time.
        You never know what you might find at eBay!
        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1140

        MILESAGO - Australian music 1964-1975

        http://milesago.gq.nu

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=rocknroll-scars&m=1