Re: [rocknroll-scars] Pyramid

  • Ross Ward
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
      G'day Terry and Ray...of those 3 lead singer's,George and Jimmy Squadritto were it before Earl joined just prior to their hit.Their original bass player was a lad from Newcastle by the name of Roy Giles,altho he died in tragic circumstances in 1981,and had been the long serving bassist in Cinamon after Pyramid,and I know it's not the same guy Ray mentions below.The guitarist was Russell Smith,who along with Jimmy,now lives on the Gold Coast.George is the in-house PA guy at the Beach Hotel in Byron...he still looks the same as he ever did,and Squadritto is still mad as a two-bob watch!
      RW.
      From: Terry

      Yes Pyramid had a big hit in Sydney (nationally?) with Can't wait for
      September. Three lead singers, influenced by Three Dog Night. Erl Dalby
      had a Big voice. I used to work for the same agency DME and we often did
      the same gigs as them. He was quite friendly with our keyboard player at
      the time. Erl Dalby is now a martial arts expert and lives up somewhere
      near Murwillumbah.

      From: Majique Management

      Hello Mike,
      I remember Pyramid. The bass player and I got together for a while when
      he moved to Orange NSW to live with his wife and child. I have
      completely forgotten his name. Long thick pitch black hair and beard too
      and he wore round (John Lennon style ) glasses. They were a good band.
      Cheers Ray "goldfingers" Vanderby

    • Terry
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hi Ross
        Yeh...Jimmy squadrito had a solar panel business in the 1980's with my
        old keyboard player Steve Heard. Earl Dalby was originally in a band
        from wollongomg called Erl's Court. The way I heard it Cant wait for
        September was originally recorded by and as Erls Court but Dal Myles put
        Earl together with Cinnamon and Jimmy and George and the single came out
        as Pyramid. Anyone heard that ?

        Cheers
        Terry

        From: Majique Management

        Hello Mike,
        I remember Pyramid. The bass player and I got together for a while
        when
        he moved to Orange NSW to live with his wife and child. I have
        completely forgotten his name. Long thick pitch black hair and beard
        too
        and he wore round (John Lennon style ) glasses. They were a good band.
        Cheers Ray "goldfingers" Vanderby

        MILESAGO: Australasian music and popular culture 1964-1975

        http://www.milesago.com
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Ross Ward
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
          That is quite right Terry,but I may have confused you with the Cinamon mention.Cinamon's bass player was Roy Giles,who joined Cinamon straight from Pyramid.Cinamon had nothing to do with Earls Court,Pyramid or that great recording,unfortunately.I use the word unfortunate,because I was in Cinamon! More trivia....I replaced Mick Meehan ,who joined Flake ( when Billy Taylor left Flake).
          Roy replaced a guy called Phil McDonald,who'd been in Cinamon since they were with Dal Myles agency,but were called 'Magic Tree' ( terrible name! ) back then....and so the circle goe's!
          RW.