Problem with Diamond Pacific Genie

  • toseewhathecouldsee
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 27, 2006
      I was cutting cabochons tonight and as I was doing so I started to
      smell an odor. I realized that the motor casing on my Genie was hot.
      Not red hot, but hot enough that when I touched it with my wet hands,
      it boiled the water off quickly. I immedidatly switched the unit off,
      came upstairs and let it cool off. After about an hour, I went down
      to check it, and it had cooled down but it will no longer start
      running from a dead stop. If I spin the wheels, it will run, but I
      assume that it would just get hot again. It is an older unit, one
      where you can switch the air flow from one side to the other.

      Has anyone else had this happen, and has anyone on the list had a
      Diamond Pacific motor repaired? I'm going to contact Diamond Pacific
      tomorrow, but I assume that will want to sell me another motor. If I
      can have it repaired that would same me a bunch of money. Any help
      you guys and gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.

      Jed
    • Jim Mills
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
        Hello Jed:

        I had exactly the same problem with a Genie last year. The only difference is that our unit stopped running entirely. I took the motor down to an electric motor repair shop and they looked inside - the motor was fried and not at all repairable at a price which was competitive with purchasing a new one. They recommended purchasing a new one. I talked to tech people at Diamond Pacific (they are exceptionally helpful) and it seems that this is a problem that happens sometimes to people who purchase used machines that have not been run for a considerable period of time. In our case, we bought it used and it is likely that it had sat for several years before we bought it and turned it on. I have forgotten the exact explanation but as I recall, it had something to do with a fluid or lubricant inside a part in the motor settling out or and no longer doing its job.

        I did quite a bit of internet checking to see if I could buy a substitute motor on the cheap - save yourself some time and do what I did in the end which is buy a new motor from Diamond Pacific. It was easy to install and ours works perfectly now.

        Regards,
        Jim Mills

        Please visit our website: www.MillsGeological.homestead.com

      • J Bryan Kramer
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
          Just contact a local motor rewinding company, check the yellow pages, and
          take the motor down to them for evaluation.

          BK

          On 3/27/06, toseewhathecouldsee <jmonroe@...> wrote:

          > I was cutting cabochons tonight and as I was doing so I started to
          > smell an odor. I realized that the motor casing on my Genie was hot.
          > Not red hot, but hot enough that when I touched it with my wet hands,
          > it boiled the water off quickly. I immedidatly switched the unit off,
          > came upstairs and let it cool off. After about an hour, I went down
          > to check it, and it had cooled down but it will no longer start
          > running from a dead stop. If I spin the wheels, it will run, but I
          > assume that it would just get hot again. It is an older unit, one
          > where you can switch the air flow from one side to the other.
          >
          > Has anyone else had this happen, and has anyone on the list had a
          > Diamond Pacific motor repaired? I'm going to contact Diamond Pacific
          > tomorrow, but I assume that will want to sell me another motor. If I
          > can have it repaired that would same me a bunch of money. Any help
          > you guys and gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Jed

        • rockpolisherc
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2006
            --- In rockhounds@yahoogroups.com, "toseewhathecouldsee"
            <jmonroe@...> wrote:

            > I was cutting cabochons tonight and as I was doing so I started to
            > smell an odor. I realized that the motor casing on my Genie was
            hot.
            > Not red hot, but hot enough that when I touched it with my wet
            hands,
            > it boiled the water off quickly. I immedidatly switched the unit
            off,
            > came upstairs and let it cool off. After about an hour, I went
            down
            > to check it, and it had cooled down but it will no longer start
            > running from a dead stop. If I spin the wheels, it will run, but
            > assume that it would just get hot again. It is an older unit, one
            > where you can switch the air flow from one side to the other.
            >
            > Has anyone else had this happen, and has anyone on the list had a
            > Diamond Pacific motor repaired? I'm going to contact Diamond
            Pacific
            > tomorrow, but I assume that will want to sell me another motor.
            If I
            > can have it repaired that would same me a bunch of money. Any
            help
            > you guys and gals could offer would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Jed
            >Jed, as it is an older motor, and I run into the same problem very
            often, look and see if the motor has a "hump" on the side fastende
            with 2 screws. This is a ballast, or "starter" for the motor.
            Unscrew the case on the side, mark the two electric connectors, take
            the round or oblong ballast to a large electric supply and replace
            it with a new one. They usually cost between 15.00 and 25.00 That
            should do the trick. Hope this will help you , Kurt , rockpolisher