AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat - Sept 6, 2009

  • here_fishy42
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
      The Austin Area Rocketry Group is launching THIS Saturday,Sept 6,,
      2009 in Hutto, TX

      Directions to the field are here:

      http://www.aarg.org/directions/index.html

      9:00a til 5:00p or until interest wanes.

      Hutto Range fees apply - SEE BELOW

      WAIVER:

      14,000 ft AGL

      OVER 12,000 ft requires prior notification and approval by RSO
      at the field upon arrival AT THE FIELD!!!! Don't wait until your
      heading to pad.

      All L3 flights require the prior clearance of the specified
      individuals; Rick VanVoorhis, Stu Barret, or Alex Mericas. Just
      make sure that the rocket/motor is a good flight for the field.

      RANGE FEES FOR THE DAY: $10.00

      DISCOUNTED FEES: AARG MEMBER $7.00; AARG MEMBER PERFORMING RANGE DUTY $5.00

      FAMILY RATE: Children fly free with paying Parent/Guardian.

      EDUCATIONAL GROUP RATE: If you have an educational group activity
      for particpation at the launch, for special consideration please
      contact Mark Willett prior to Saturday at:

      vice.president@...

      SPECIAL NOTE FOR CHILDREN: ************

      We wish to emphasize safety on the range and we are particularly
      concerned about the safety of the children that we welcome and enjoy
      at our launches. Children enjoy model rocketry and often are very
      excitable, particularly when endeavoring to chase their rocket after
      it has landed.

      Parents and Guardians should pay special attention to their youngster
      and be midful that often the range is still active after the launch
      of any particular project from the pads. Please remind your young'un
      to wait at the flight line until the LCO, Parent/Guardian (or other
      mindful adult) indicates that it is safe to leave the flight line
      (for any reason).

      While the pads are active and flights are occuring, participants and
      spectators need to pay attention to any flights that are occuring,
      and rockets that are coming back to earth. Particpants should be at
      the flight line and observing the pads as launches are being
      performed.

      Children are very interested in the little buttons at the Launch
      Control table. If your child is inclined to permeate informal/social
      barriers, please be mindful that the operations area of the Field is
      responsible for range safety and is NOT a play area.

      HEALTH SAFETY:

      It will be Summer Conditions at the field, so be prepared with plenty
      of water. At the range, you should consider yourself in the
      wilderness.

      Bring your own shade. The shade at the operations tables is limited
      and is for members performing range duty.

      I suggest lip balm, a hat and perhaps sunscreen for sensitive skins.
      If you anticipate going into the forest after your project, long
      pants and covered footwear is suggested (Shorts and Sandals is NOT a
      good idea).

      DRINK WATER! DRINK WATER!

      Children:

      I would suggest that special attention be paid to the attire of your
      children, as they are particularly vulnerable to unprotected feet and
      legs, and the heat (less surface area per body mass is less efficient
      in cooling the body). "Crocs" are NOT recommended. Children treat
      rocketry as a track and field event!

      It doesn't seem far sometimes, but hiking for 30 - 45
      minutes (working hard) in 100 degree temperatures without shade
      can take it out of you, quick. I suggest a canteen, camel-back, or
      other water bottle/container that is comfortable to hike with during
      recovery operations in order to prevent getting stupid from the heat
      and falling over.
    • Rick VanVoorhis
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
        We are also still under a burn ban so everyone needs to have a heightened
        awareness of the fire danger. The field is clear enough to set up the usual
        range but there is still corn remnants and the wilderness is a tinderbox.
        Try to plan your flights to not have problems to the north.

        Rick
> [...]
        > pants and covered footwear is suggested (Shorts and Sandals is NOT a
        > good idea).
        >
        > DRINK WATER! DRINK WATER!
        >
        > Children:
        >
        > I would suggest that special attention be paid to the attire of your
        > children, as they are particularly vulnerable to unprotected feet and
        > legs, and the heat (less surface area per body mass is less efficient
        > in cooling the body). "Crocs" are NOT recommended. Children treat
        > rocketry as a track and field event!
        >
        > It doesn't seem far sometimes, but hiking for 30 - 45
        > minutes (working hard) in 100 degree temperatures without shade
        > can take it out of you, quick. I suggest a canteen, camel-back, or
        > other water bottle/container that is comfortable to hike with during
        > recovery operations in order to prevent getting stupid from the heat

      • jeffshort2004
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
          It was just pointed out to me that Sat is Sept 5th. Maybe one day we will get these messages right. Seems like between the two of us we goof them pretty regularly.

          Jeff

          --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, "here_fishy42" <mark@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > pants and covered footwear is suggested (Shorts and Sandals is NOT a
          > good idea).
          >
          > DRINK WATER! DRINK WATER!
          >
          > Children:
          >
          > I would suggest that special attention be paid to the attire of your
          > children, as they are particularly vulnerable to unprotected feet and
          > legs, and the heat (less surface area per body mass is less efficient
          > in cooling the body). "Crocs" are NOT recommended. Children treat
          > rocketry as a track and field event!
          >
          > It doesn't seem far sometimes, but hiking for 30 - 45
          > minutes (working hard) in 100 degree temperatures without shade
          > can take it out of you, quick. I suggest a canteen, camel-back, or
          > other water bottle/container that is comfortable to hike with during
          > recovery operations in order to prevent getting stupid from the heat

        • Jim Parker
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
            A cloudy day turned into a good launch.  Not many high power flights, but many model rocket flights from the children.

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:rocketry-austin-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:rocketry-austin-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • jeffshort2004
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
              Other than a bit of waiver issues things actually went pretty well. Low winds, cool temperatures, and well a cloud deck around 4000'. Oh well you can't have everything.

              Lot's of younger fliers showed up to launch their rockets. The Class1 pads were busy all day. Several good F and G flights, one in particular was a Barracuda that flew on an F40 and and F60. Both flights were perfectly straight. We had an L2 certification flight and our friend Alex came out and flew today! Very nice relaxed launch.

              Thanks to everyone who helped out today.

              Jeff

              --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, Jim Parker <rekrapmij@...> wrote:

              > A cloudy day turned into a good launch.  Not many high power flights, but many model rocket flights from the children.
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Stu Barrett
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                Who did the L2 cert?

                Stu

                Other than a bit of waiver issues things actually went pretty well. Low
                winds, cool temperatures, and well a cloud deck around 4000'. Oh well you
                can't have everything.

                Lot's of younger fliers showed up to launch their rockets. The Class1 pads
                were busy all day. Several good F and G flights, one in particular was a
                Barracuda that flew on an F40 and and F60. Both flights were perfectly
                straight. We had an L2 certification flight and our friend Alex came out and
                flew today! Very nice relaxed launch.

                Thanks to everyone who helped out today.

                Jeff

                --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, Jim Parker <rekrapmij@...> wrote:

                > A cloudy day turned into a good launch.  Not many high power flights, but
                many model rocket flights from the children.

                > ________________________________

              • shane batten
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 5, 2009
                  i dont know but he made it past the curse of the V2 for certs.

                  had a really nice looking red 60" round in it for recovery looked like a big jellyfish comming down

                  From: Stu Barrett <StuBarrett@...>
                  Subject: RE: [rocketry-austin] Re: AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat - Sept 6, 2009
                  To: rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 10:10 PM

                  Who did the L2 cert?

                  Stu

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6, 2009
                    Harold Larson. He is a member of the NHRC (Nasa Houston) group but he is also a teacher and really only got his L2 to help with that. I believe he is involved with the SLI stuff and they need at least one L2 team member.

                    The chute comment was because Shane donated his 60" chute to use instead of the 50" that Harold brought with him. I grilled Harold pretty good over the last few months and we talked about recovery but somehow the size of the chute vs. weight of the rocket never got asked. With the 50" chute he was 25-28 fps which was a bit too fast for most of us - especially since many of the rockets were landing in and around the cars ( only one hit all day and it didn't even make a scratch - small estes rocket). We angled his rocket slightly with the wind to avoid an overflight but I still didn't like the idea of it coming down that fast. Thanks again to Shane for allowing his chute to be used.

                    NOTE: since we where using wet field rules the pads were all on the road. Since the modroc pads don't have any angle adjustment some of them were coming into the car area. Most landed in the field as the wind was really from the NNE but the occasional one would drop near the cars. I guess we need to figure out a way to put a bit of angle on the modroc pads if needed (wood under the legs?). Overflying the spectator area is against NAR safety code (not sure about TRA).

                    Jeff

                    --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, shane batten <poofshesgone2@...> wrote:

                    > i dont know but he made it past the curse of the V2 for certs.
                    >
                    > had a really nice looking red 60" round in it for recovery looked like a big jellyfish comming down
                    >

                    > From: Stu Barrett <StuBarrett@...>
                    > Subject: RE: [rocketry-austin] Re: AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat - Sept 6, 2009
                    > To: rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com
                    > Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
                    >

                    > Who did the L2 cert?
                    >
                    > Stu

                  • poofshesgone2
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6, 2009
                      CONGRATS TO Harold,

                      Now Jeff my comment was more geared towards the fact that he made the SUCCESSFUL flight with a V2 especially with the winds we had yesterday.

                      --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, "jeffshort2004" <jeffshort2004@...> wrote:

                      > Harold Larson. He is a member of the NHRC (Nasa Houston) group but he is also a teacher and really only got his L2 to help with that. I believe he is involved with the SLI stuff and they need at least one L2 team member.
                      >
                      > The chute comment was because Shane donated his 60" chute to use instead of the 50" that Harold brought with him. I grilled Harold pretty good over the last few months and we talked about recovery but somehow the size of the chute vs. weight of the rocket never got asked. With the 50" chute he was 25-28 fps which was a bit too fast for most of us - especially since many of the rockets were landing in and around the cars ( only one hit all day and it didn't even make a scratch - small estes rocket). We angled his rocket slightly with the wind to avoid an overflight but I still didn't like the idea of it coming down that fast. Thanks again to Shane for allowing his chute to be used.
                      >
                      > NOTE: since we where using wet field rules the pads were all on the road. Since the modroc pads don't have any angle adjustment some of them were coming into the car area. Most landed in the field as the wind was really from the NNE but the occasional one would drop near the cars. I guess we need to figure out a way to put a bit of angle on the modroc pads if needed (wood under the legs?). Overflying the spectator area is against NAR safety code (not sure about TRA).
                      >
                      > Jeff
                      >
                      > --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, shane batten <poofshesgone2@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > i dont know but he made it past the curse of the V2 for certs.
                      > >
                      > > had a really nice looking red 60" round in it for recovery looked like a big jellyfish comming down
                      > >

                      > > From: Stu Barrett <StuBarrett@>
                      > > Subject: RE: [rocketry-austin] Re: AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat - Sept 6, 2009
                      > > To: rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com
                      > > Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
                      > >

                      > > Who did the L2 cert?
                      > >
                      > > Stu

                    • ojames3
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6, 2009

                        Harold Larson, NAR 72323, is also a consistant supporter of NASA/Houston's NAR competition. He's competed in each of the last 5 NAR contest years. In 2008-2009 he finished 70th of 249 nationally in C division.

                        O. Lee James, III  NAR 15058 SR L0
                        TCC Custodian http://www.tccnar.org

                        --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, "jeffshort2004" <jeffshort2004@...> wrote:

                        > Harold Larson. He is a member of the NHRC (Nasa Houston) group but he is also a teacher and really only got his L2 to help with that. I believe he is involved with the SLI stuff and they need at least one L2 team member.
                        >
                        > The chute comment was because Shane donated his 60" chute to use instead of the 50" that Harold brought with him. I grilled Harold pretty good over the last few months and we talked about recovery but somehow the size of the chute vs. weight of the rocket never got asked. With the 50" chute he was 25-28 fps which was a bit too fast for most of us - especially since many of the rockets were landing in and around the cars ( only one hit all day and it didn't even make a scratch - small estes rocket). We angled his rocket slightly with the wind to avoid an overflight but I still didn't like the idea of it coming down that fast. Thanks again to Shane for allowing his chute to be used.
                        >
                        > NOTE: since we where using wet field rules the pads were all on the road. Since the modroc pads don't have any angle adjustment some of them were coming into the car area. Most landed in the field as the wind was really from the NNE but the occasional one would drop near the cars. I guess we need to figure out a way to put a bit of angle on the modroc pads if needed (wood under the legs?). Overflying the spectator area is against NAR safety code (not sure about TRA).
                        >
                        > Jeff
                        >
                        > --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, shane batten poofshesgone2@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > i dont know but he made it past the curse of the V2 for certs.
                        > >
                        > > had a really nice looking red 60" round in it for recovery looked like a big jellyfish comming down
                        > >

                        > > From: Stu Barrett StuBarrett@
                        > > Subject: RE: [rocketry-austin] Re: AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat - Sept 6, 2009
                        > > To: rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com
                        > > Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
                        > >

                        > > Who did the L2 cert?
                        > >
                        > > Stu

                      • Stu Barrett
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6, 2009
                          Harold, job well done!

                          Stu

                          wrote:

                          > Harold Larson. He is a member of the NHRC (Nasa Houston) group but he is
                          also a teacher and really only got his L2 to help with that. I believe he is
                          involved with the SLI stuff and they need at least one L2 team member.

                          > The chute comment was because Shane donated his 60" chute to use instead
                          of the 50" that Harold brought with him. I grilled Harold pretty good over
                          the last few months and we talked about recovery but somehow the size of the
                          chute vs. weight of the rocket never got asked. With the 50" chute he was
                          25-28 fps which was a bit too fast for most of us - especially since many of
                          the rockets were landing in and around the cars ( only one hit all day and
                          it didn't even make a scratch - small estes rocket). We angled his rocket
                          slightly with the wind to avoid an overflight but I still didn't like the
                          idea of it coming down that fast. Thanks again to Shane for allowing his
                          chute to be used.

                          > NOTE: since we where using wet field rules the pads were all on the road.
                          Since the modroc pads don't have any angle adjustment some of them were
                          coming into the car area. Most landed in the field as the wind was really
                          from the NNE but the occasional one would drop near the cars. I guess we
                          need to figure out a way to put a bit of angle on the modroc pads if needed
                          (wood under the legs?). Overflying the spectator area is against NAR safety
                          code (not sure about TRA).

                          > Jeff
                          >
                          > --- In rocketry-austin@yahoogroups.com, shane batten <poofshesgone2@>
                          wrote:

                          > > i dont know but he made it past the curse of the V2 for certs.
                          > >
                          > > had a really nice looking red 60" round in it for recovery looked
                          > > like a big jellyfish comming down
                          > >

                          > > From: Stu Barrett <StuBarrett@>
                          > > Subject: RE: [rocketry-austin] Re: AARG LAUNCH ANNOUNCEMENT FOR Sat
                          > > - Sept 6, 2009