[rocketry-austin] Favorite Launch Sites in Austin Area?

  • George D. Nincehelser
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 1998
      > The subject says it all. Where are the best places to launch around
      > here?
      >
      > I've been using Old Settlers Park east of Round Rock, but it always
      > seems incredibly busy.
      >
      > George
      ----
    • Anthony Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 1998
        >> The subject says it all. Where are the best places to launch around
        >> here?
        >>
        >> I've been using Old Settlers Park east of Round Rock, but it always
        >> seems incredibly busy.
        >>
        >> George
        >----

        I've also been using Old Settlers. Usually Sunday mornings it is very
        empty. It's been busy the past few weeks with different events. I
        haven't been too disappointed because it's also been windy.

        Tony

        ----
      • Anthony Snyder
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 1998
          >What types of motors do you normally fly there? My biggest concern is
          >what seems to me to be a lack of recovery area making high-altitude
          >flights risky to recover. In the past I've always flown in very open,
          >flat spaces, and it wasn't unusual for me to recover a model a few miles
          >from the launch site.
          >
          >These were small multi-staged models...I'm guessing altitudes of 2500 feet
          >or so. Moderate winds at times, but lots of thermals, which might explain
          >why I'm so worried about space. Maybe thermals aren't such a problem
          >here.
          >
          >I'd like to start flying higher-power models, but right now large
          >dimension models with F engines are about all I feel comfortable with in
          >that space. Maybe I'm just being over-cautious.
          >
          >George

          I agree, if there is a wind (> 7 mph or so), you can start to drift to the
          edges of the field with lighter
          rockets. I've successfully handled altitudes of 1500 ft or so but I don't
          like to risk
          it. In the summer, early morning, there is usually no wind. I've flown
          a Long Shot there using D12-C6 combo and had great results with little
          drift (12 in chute). I've also taken an Estes Flash and Maniac single
          stage up with C6-7's and been able to recover those. Any wind
          though could have jeopardized them. Luckily, Austin winds
          in the summer are almost always from the south and still
          in the early morning.

          We usually go with larger rockets (Phoenix, Terrier Sandhawk,
          Initiator) using E and F reloads. These will stay under 1000 ft and drop
          fairly well. I like larger models anyway and like to keep them in sight.

          I would be nice to find a more open field where we could risk it a little
          more often and shoot some higher. I have only lost a Maniac there
          in over 2 years of flying. The wind seemed low enough but
          the upper winds were picking up and it caught some trees at the end
          of the field. I also should have put a spill hole in the chute or gone
          to a streamer.

          Anthony

          ----