So I'm learning...

  • lizzietijuanaiguana
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      I have received from our current pediatrician (I believe we are switching soon) a list of healthy doses of foods for my son.

      I'm thinking that 6-10 servings of grain per day are not in my son's best interest?

      Now, when he turned 1, she wanted him to have a high fat diet. So we upped his fats. Avocado, beef (mostly organic) with the fat left in. It didn't sound right to me, but then he wasn't gaining weight at all, either, so at the time (pre- a lot of information I've read) we just did it. Of course, SHE had recommended canola oil (which we DIDN'T do).

      I haven't had much time to read through in here; only what I've received for email since I joined. I have a book on loan (not sure how much longer) preparing for your pre/pregnancy/child is the gist of the title.

      So if anyone can steer me in the right direction?

      Thanks,
      Michele
      (Lizzie
    • Elizabeth Raduns
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hello Michele (Lizzie)

        How old is your son?  Any other issues other than lack of gaining weight?  Allergies, asthma, eczema, tummy upsets, behavior problems, sleep disturbances, difficulty potty training, etc, etc??

        Just curious.

        As far as what he should or shouldn't be eating...It is totally contingent around what else is going on in his life.  If he is just experiencing lack of gaining weight, than you might want to consider some sort of a digestive processing issue, especially if he is eating a lot.

        As far as your skeptisim around the grain intake suggestion, I don't blame you one bit.   If there is an underlying health issue, that amount of grain consumption would most certainly bring out the problem!  I personally wouldn't recommend that amount of grain consumption, but my family doesn't handle grains well, we have come to find out.  And if you were going to be eating grains in that quantity, you would definitely need to be properly preparing them...soaking, sprouting, souring, etc.

        If you are looking for more information about feeding your son, you should definitely check out the WAP website...they have some good articles on feeding kids and adults alike.  The Nourishing traditions cookbook is also a fabulous read, and the "introduction" serves like a nutrition textbook!  Protein and fat are fabulous sources of calories (just make sure they are high quality, pastured animals and sources)...societies have survived, and even thrived off them for many centuries, so you won't go wrong with that as a staple contrary to what the food prymaid tells you!

        My son didn't gain weight for over a year, we removed all the starch,grains, fruit, etc. from his diet and he gained almost 7 pounds now in 3 months.

        We really stuck to the NT diet for him from the time he was one on up, he just had some serious health problems that needed be addressed prior to being able to do NT, kind of like we were trying to do maitaniance before we did a healing regime (if that makes sense.)  He just turned 3, and we have had 2 years of lots of health issues, and we are just starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  We hope to someday be able to graduate to a NT/WAP nourishing diet! :)

        Good luck in your search for a "diet" plan for your son!  In my experience there typically isn't a one size fits all kind of program...we are all slightly different...some will be fine on fruits...other will have to avoid...some will be able to eat wheat...others will need to avoid...so on and so forth.....  You are a fabulous mother to be looking outside the conventional box to try to "help" him!  Keep up the good work! :)

        Hope that sort of answers your question??

        Blessings to you in your journey!
        Ellie

        --
        Ellie Raduns