Cod Liver Oil - liquid vs capsules, price comparison

  • ma_judd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2009
      Thanks so much to Laura for hosting the cod liver oil tasting party today. It was fun and helpful!

      I just want to clarify one thing regarding the difference in price between the liquid and the capsules. If you look at the labels for the unflavored liquid, a serving is 2ml, which is a little less than a 1/2 tsp. Now look at the label for the capsules, and it states that a serving is 2 capsules. But look at the vitamin A/D content, and you will see that it takes 4 capsules to equal the amount of vitamin A/D you would get in one serving of the liquid, not 2 capsules. Therefore, 2ml = 4 capsules, making the capsules cost 2.5 times the liquid.

      To take 1 tsp, one would need 10 capsules!

      Also, the fermented has slightly less vit A & much more vit D than the former unfermented product, when you compare them equally. In a 1/2 tsp, the A has decreased from 5000 to 4,688 and the D has increased from 500 to 950.

      Elizabeth Mc.
    • lauravillanti
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2009
        Elizabeth - great note on the pricing of the CLO's,etc.... there is
        significant savings for the liquids over the capsules. So, plenty of
        motivation for all of us to find a flavor or two that we like so that we
        can use liquid over capsules.

        And, it is good to point out again that not all serving sizes are the
        same (bullet item # 5 from our sheet today).... so, we need to read the
        labels to compare the serving values.

        For those who currently use capsules, I am hopeful that you found a
        flavor today that suits you. I believe that Green Pastures did a very
        good job with providing a big variety of flavors that meet a variety of
        taste buds. The Fermented product is an amazing healing food, and it's
        potency comes through in it's flavor. But, with these great new
        flavors, they did a very good job of concealing the natural flavor.

        Here's to the wonderful new CLO's and the new Blue Ice Royal combo!

        Laura

        --- In rochesterNYwestonaprice@yahoogroups.com, "ma_judd" <djudd1@...>