While we are talking about milk...

  • ben_lewis17
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
      Hello,

      I am also interested in anyone's thoughts on Brian's question regarding whether or not a pregnant woman should drink raw milk during pregnancy, as my wife and I have had the same discussion with no final decision for ourselves.

      Also, I have had a question that has been nagging me for a while. I am completely convinced raw dairy is ideal. However, when I am not able to purchase raw milk or not ultra-pasteurized cream for instance, am I better off buying a low fat version of one of these or am I still better off purchasing whole milk, no reduced fat? My limited understanding of the benefits of raw milk is that it has enzymes in it that help put the fat to good use, so does that mean pasteurized milk does not have those enzymes and so it is pointless to buy whole when that is your only option?

      Thanks for your input,
      Ben Lewis

      --- In rochesterNYwestonaprice@yahoogroups.com, Brian Binder <binderbrian@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > still no cavities!)  My husband and I eat way better and we haven't needed a
      > dentist in over 6 years.  (Sorry Brad & Carol & Heather - my dentists who would
      > still wish I would get my butt in the chair.)
      >
      > 2.  The research shows that supplementation of calcium products  even when
      > combined with other elements still gets excreted in high amounts - meaning is
      > not absorbed  because again there is so much synergistic effects in a whole food
      > that no supplement can do justice to and that  science has yet to discover and
      > try to replicate whch it never will- cna't beat Mother Nature!.  So ditch your
      > supplements - they aren't effective - waste your money - except for the placebo
      > effect.  For me since I am menopausal - it is very critical to have these min.
      > of 3 glasses to maintain bone density.
      >
      > 3.  Weston Price himself in all the research and travels he did (which was so
      > excellent that Harvard Univ.  required his book for Anthropology 101) found that
      > the 14 perfect health cultures and tribes had raw milk or a bone broth or both
      > at each  of 3 meals that met the needs for good bone formation and ongoing
      > foundation.
      >
      > So here is my fun way that I look forward to having my milk daily at each of my
      > 3 meals.  Milk for me is truly one of my greatest daily pleasures- Tim our
      > farmer knows this - if I had one food left it would be milk- I would get me a
      > cow for sure!
      >
      > Breakfast:  LATTE!!!  Yeah!  I warm 1 cup of milk - toward the hot side - & pour
      > in 1/4 or bit more of de-cafe coffee - the Biodynamic brand at Lori's cafe
      > Altura - a blue can on end cap.  Then I add in either 1T. coconut oil or heavy
      > creme.
      >
      > Lunch:  for dessert - my husband & my favs:  Cherry Kefir:  1 c. each kefir ( I
      > have extra kefir grains if in need of one - this is so simple stupid to make
      > their are no excuses!)  then add to each serving:  splash of black cherry
      > concentrate(at Loris') some frozen cherries, pinch stevia, drop or 2 of
      > vanilla.
      >

      > Supper:  I love a fresh glass of milk with my dinner or I have OVALTINE!!
      > Remember that one as a nice nursery comfort food?.  Only I have made it new and
      > improved!  1 cup warm milk, 1 t. of Eden brand Barley Malt Syrup(this is at
      > Lori's in honey section.  Is awesome product - is Biodynamic product - made from
      > sprouted fermented barley.)  Can add a little vanilla 1-2 drops.  This is a
      > fantastic drink if you can't sleep at night - the ingredients in the milk &
      > barley have great sleep enhancing elements.
      >
      > Ok everyone hope I have inspired you and helped you to appreciate how lucky we
      > are to have the source of milk that we do from our farmers.  Soo many people do
      > not!
      >
      > Your Milkmaid,
      > Lizzy x0x0x
      >
      > PS below is a utube you may enjoy!  Thanks Laura - feel free add on here.

    • Laura Villanti
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012

        Ben, all – whole milk is always best.  We need the fats in milk (or any food) in order to make best use of the minerals that are in that food.  Many folks are deficient in the fat soluble vitamins (because, in America we are encouraged to avoid fats), and thus, when they start to add in these good fats (whether through cod liver oil,etc)  they notice some good changes.  That is most likely due to the fact that all of those good minerals they were taking in through their foods are now able to be utilized by the body for energy, recovery,etc…. because the fat soluble vitamins (A, D,E, K) are now activating the system and getting the minerals into action.  Many people see positive changes from cod liver oil when no other dietary changes are made.  This again goes back to the fat soluble vitamins helping utilize the minerals that were already present.

        If you review the powerpoint presentation that is on realmilk.com, you and your wife might enjoy that.  There is a lot of safety and nutritional info in it.  It is likely ‘the safety” part of it that makes you take pause and contemplate this during a time of pregnancy.

        http://www.realmilk.com/ppt/index.html

        I guess the other thing we need to remember… we all came from mothers or grandmothers or great grandmothers that drank fresh milk.

        As always, you want fresh milk from a quality source. I am sure you know the importance of that.

        I hope this helps.

        Laura Villanti

        Chapter Leader, Rochester NY - Weston A Price Foundation

> [...]

        > Supper:  I love a fresh glass of milk with my dinner or I have OVALTINE!!
        > Remember that one as a nice nursery comfort food?.  Only I have made it new and
        > improved!  1 cup warm milk, 1 t. of Eden brand Barley Malt Syrup(this is at
        > Lori's in honey section.  Is awesome product - is Biodynamic product - made from
        > sprouted fermented barley.)  Can add a little vanilla 1-2 drops.  This is a
        > fantastic drink if you can't sleep at night - the ingredients in the milk &
        > barley have great sleep enhancing elements.
        >
        > Ok everyone hope I have inspired you and helped you to appreciate how lucky we
        > are to have the source of milk that we do from our farmers.  Soo many people do
        > not!
        >
        > Your Milkmaid,
        > Lizzy x0x0x
        >
        > PS below is a utube you may enjoy!  Thanks Laura - feel free add on here.

      • none
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2012
          Ok somehow I can never remember to send a reply to the whole group! So here's a recap of what I accidentally sent privately...

          Last summer when my younger son was about 1.5yrs old his teeth were very crooked and overlapped. Even though my kids are sensitive to dairy I went to Liz's farm and got some goat milk. After about 2 weeks (or less, I wasn't actually paying attention) of goat milk smoothies his teeth were straight! AND after the first few days he started sleeping through the night for the first time EVER. Before that he would be up many times a night to nurse. I didn't try it with these results in mind, that's just what happened. Unfortunately the kids started showing digestive problems due to their sensitivity so I stopped. Too bad because I really SAW they were benefitting from such nutrient rich milk!

          --Erin

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2012
            When my daughter, age 30, was pregnant in 2010 she followed the WAPF recommendations throughout her pregnancy. Extra cod liver oil, plenty of pastured eggs, and she drank about a quart of raw milk daily. It was the healthiest she had ever been! Of course, she dared not mention to her doctor about the raw milk! My granddaughter arrived to the world a healthy baby, and now at 18 months she loves raw milk too.