sugar for kombucha

  • jeanjean@rochester.rr.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
      Hello!

      I've been making kombucha for a while now and we've really been enjoying it. I've been using Wholesome Sweeteners evaporated cane sugar, because it's organic, fair-trade, and not chemically processed, but I understand the old, refined, chemical-laden variety makes the best kombucha. It's time for me to buy more sugar (I buy in bulk throught UNFI), so I thought I'd get some advice on what sugar to use. I guess it's likely that the health benefits of kombucha would counteract the negative effects of the chemicals in refined white sugar; is it possible to get fair-trade white sugar? Any other thoughts?

      Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
      Jean
    • Laura Villanti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
        Jean. Yes, you can get organic FT white sugar. But I also know that some folks use plain non organic white sugar as well.

        Either will work fine.

        :)
        Laura Villanti
      • barrett72900@frontiernet.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          I use organic cane sugar and prefer the taste of my Kombucha over the white sugar taste.
          Nicole