Re: What is etiquette for 2 lane highways?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 43 , Aug 7, 2003
      I live in SouthEast Michigan and drive M-50 literally everyday. This
      supposedly major roadway is limited to one lane in either direction.
      In addition to this, the speed limit on the freshly paved roadway is
      only 55 MPH. Throw in ever-increasing truck traffic, frequent slow-
      downs due to residential areas, and an ever slower driving populace
      with increased traffic enforcement (i.e.- speeding!), and you have
      the classic recipe for a case of rage rage from HELL!!!!

      I've seen it all, as have many other respondents. People driving with
      the aforementioned reading material spread out across the steering
      wheel, shaving, applying makeup, sitting so low in the seat ("low-
      riding") as to appear almost invisible behind the wheel! Not to
      mention those that feel the need to routinely drive 5-10 MPH under
      the posted limit! I used to be a police officer! I know they'll
      usually give you at least 10-15 MPH OVER the posted limit!!! Now toss
      in those that feel that they need to brake at the last minute to make
      a turn, prior to making any kind of signalling attempt. In all these
      cases, I have never seen ONE traffic stop made. However, let the poor
      bastard doing 15 over light up a radar gun, and he's going to be
      sitting out the next few laps!

      When I first started driving, I would hear about unlimited speed
      limits on the Autobahn throughout parts of Europe, and wonder "Why
      can't we have something like that?" Then, I learned of the great
      pains that a driver there goes through to EARN his/her license, and
      the level of maintenance that they are REQUIRED to keep their vehicle
      on the road. Sadly, I soon came to realize that it could never happen
      here. Firstly, we here in this country see a driver's license as a
      right. It is a privilege, and as a safe, competent, heads-up driver,
      I see it as my responsibility to constantly improve my driving and
      explore my limitations. Secondly, with the constant desire of the
      consumer, the auto manufacturers are trying to isolate the driver
      from the driving experience! If I want to feel like I'm sitting in a
      Lazy Boy recliner in my living room, I'll sit in my Lazy Boy recliner
      in my living room!!!! When I'm driving, I want to become one with my
      vehicle and with the road! I want to feel the input, hear the noises,
      glean information from the gauges! Thirdly, what becomes of all this
      wonderful "gee-whiz" technology once all the warranties expire? With
      the price of new vehicles, more people are hanging on to their older
      cars. This, however, doesn't necessarily mean that they're keeping
      them roadworthy. Where are the vehicle inspection stations that I
      used to see so frequently when the vehicles were one HELL of a lot
      less complex?

      In closing, I thank you for this opportunity to vent and try to
      present my side of the road-rage perspective. In my humble opinion,
      they should raise the speed limit to 100 MPH, get rid of all the
      damned lawyers, and let Darwin do his thing!!!

      --- In roadragerspage@yahoogroups.com, AlphaOmegabird wrote:
      > You've got just one lane. There is another,
      > however, but there's oncoming traffic in it. Speed limit
      > is 65. You're doing 70...that is until you come upon
      > slower moving traffic. Slowing down to 65, you realize
      > that's not enough. Upon further investigation, they're
      > doing 60...or is it slower? Had they been doing speed
      > limit, this might not be an issue, but they're just
      > sitting there, doing nothing. If it's just me, speeding
      > and I come on one person doing speed limit, I can't
      > get mad. It's just me, but this guy's not even
      > flinching. They don't mind that there's oncoming traffic
      > preventing me from passing. Now, there's another car. He
      > can't pass either...know what I'm talking about yet?
      > Etiquette is speed limit minimum with cars building up.
      > What do you think?
    • leftmanoh
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 8, 2004
        Let 'em pass when they can. Failing that, they don't have the right
        to threaten me with their car or truck.

        Most often I get tailgated when I can't go anywhere else. There is
        no 'move out of the way' for me, yet these idiots continue to ride my
        bumper.