How do we communicate at 70mph?

  • AlphaOmegabird
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 20, 2001
      I've been trying to figure this out. I know I
      gripe a lot about slow people in the fast lane, but I'm
      not talking about 70-75mph. I wish. I've been backed
      down to 55 on some occasions. And they usually do it
      in tandem with a cement truck, or a retiree on a
      leisurely stroll to the fishing hole, or a windshield's
      worst nightmare: a gravel truck. What do we wind up
      with? Starting line up for the Pepsi 500. "Gentlemen,
      start your road rage!" My question is this. How do we
      communicate to the other driver that he/she is in the fast
      lane blocking traffic? Flashing lights triggers some
      kind of aggression, and often gets the finger. Horn
      honking isn't always audible. Some cars are extremely
      quiet, and most everyone drives with the radio on, so
      chances are, they won't hear you honking. They may be
      oblivious and wouldn't see you wave them over even if you
      tried. So far, all I have come up with is post-incident
      communication. That doesn't mean I flip them the bird (because I
      don't), but it does fit in this category. I've honked the
      horn going by. As I explained before, this has little
      to no effect. I've passed them in second gear at a
      phenominal rate of speed and since I drive an 86 Oldsmobile
      with a 350, and that can get pretty loud, especially
      at between 55-70 miles an hour and pass them like
      they're standing still. Then, my maneuvers do the rest of
      my talking. With just enough room for my bumper, I
      perform what I call the "moron maneuver". It's where I
      erratically yank the car back into the fast lane just barely
      clear of the slow car. This maneuver is so called for
      two reasons. 1.) I am temporarily driving like a
      moron. 2.) The spastic movements pervey the message that
      I think said person is driving like a moron.
      Sometimes they get the message and move over. The other
      half of the time they stay in the fast lane, blocking
      traffic. I've heard people dumb enough to say "I pay my
      taxes, I'll drive where I want." Well, so do we, and you
      do not have the right to make me driver as slow as
      you and impede the flow of the rest of traffic.
      That's the end of this rant.--Donny
    • leftmanoh
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 8 3:56 PM
        Let 'em pass when they can. Failing that, they don't have the right
        to threaten me with their car or truck.

        Most often I get tailgated when I can't go anywhere else. There is
        no 'move out of the way' for me, yet these idiots continue to ride my
        bumper.