new "bumper-sticker" on the road:

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2003
      Hello my name is Melissa. I am just amazed by what other dirvers do
      on the roads these days. I am more amazed about how drivers treat
      others too, like truck drivers.... small cars and those people do not
      realize that it takes close to 5 football fields to get a semi fully
      stopped and the cars just swoop around them and cut in front of them
      so dangerously close that it makes me heart skip a few beats.
      One other thing that makes me angery is that you are doing the speed
      limit, and there is some bozoe comes up behind you and flashes the
      headlights wanting you to speed up....HOW RUDE!!!! I just turn the
      mirrors down and let them pass me by, hey there are free speeding
      tickets ahead......cause they do not know, a State Trooper could be
      hiding someplace or a Sherrif could be hiding. So go right on ahead,
      make their day support the roads department and other stuff that
      needs your hard earned money...FOOLS!!!!
      Well anyways, I am a Security Officer, and I have to pay close
      attention to the rules of the road and other rules that are enforced.
      I am a state Licensed person and I should know better.
      I am glad for this group cause there are issues that bewilder me
      caused by other foolish drivers on the road....oh Dig this, it snows
      and there is like less then one inch of snow on the ground.....People
      freak out on this....
      Well take care, and stay safe out there.
      Melissa Schmidt
      Camano Island, WA
    • Charles Kuehn
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2003
        Reminds me of the time several years back, about eleven at night,
        when I was leaving one of the largest metro areas in the upper
        midwest:

        Outbound, almost to rural countryside; three lanes in each direction;
        fifty-five speed limit; very light traffic - almost no other vehicles
        on the road. I'm in the center lane, going nearly seventy, when some
        hot-dog approaching behind me in the same lane, at a fantastic rate
        of speed, begins flashing his brights up and down, apparently
        indicating to me that I should move over to the right so that he can
        proceed through without changing lanes. Recall: Fifty-five limit;
        I'm going seventy already; negligible traffic, so there is a clear
        lane on either side of me. I declined the suggestion to move right,
        forcing the aspiring NASCAR fanatic to change lanes. I was afforded
        a blast of horn and a single-finger salute as he rocketed past in his
        black Lexus, doing at least one hundred and ten miles per hour. How
        arrogant.

        CK

        > you are doing the speed
        > limit, and there is some bozoe comes up behind you and flashes the
        > headlights wanting you to speed up....HOW RUDE!!!!
      • Mel Schmidt
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2003
          Hey Charles, just think of it this way... I often have
          to reminde myself of this is that Karma has a
          boom-a-rang effect.... I hope that this Black Lexus
          got a nice fat speeding ticket....there are tons of
          speeding tickets up ahead and they are
          freeeeeeeee...and they even make your insurance
          premiums sky rocket....how cool is that? LOL ---
          NOT... Wow so the price of speeding is a cool speeding
          ticket and more cash out takes from their wallets to
          the insurance company...what a cool deal is that?
          Stupid idiots!!!
          I even had a spookier time, I made a right hand turn
          and the coast was clear.... there was this one boze
          who was doing speeds that would make him go into orbit
          if he was verticle... he followed me.... to the house
          where I was dropping off a fellow girlfriend of my
          daughters at her house..... I "borrowed" her baseball
          bat as I got out of my car....then I asked her mother
          to call the cops.... if he did not leave within the
          next couple seconds.... Mind you, I am still in my
          Security Uniform with my badge and all.... another
          stupid fool for you..... Why are these people allowed
          on the roads? Also some Teen agers need to learn road
          courtisey... You follow the rules of the road and do
          not flip off your elder drivers.... tasteless and
          shame on you who do that....it is a very bad
          reflection on your parents.....
          Mel.S.
          --- Charles Kuehn <ckuehncnwhs@...> wrote:
          > Reminds me of the time several years back, about
          > eleven at night,
          > when I was leaving one of the largest metro areas in
          > the upper
          > midwest:
          >
          > Outbound, almost to rural countryside; three lanes
          > in each direction;
          > fifty-five speed limit; very light traffic - almost
          > no other vehicles
          > on the road. I'm in the center lane, going nearly
          > seventy, when some
          > hot-dog approaching behind me in the same lane, at a
          > fantastic rate
          > of speed, begins flashing his brights up and down,
          > apparently
          > indicating to me that I should move over to the
          > right so that he can
          > proceed through without changing lanes. Recall:
          > Fifty-five limit;
          > I'm going seventy already; negligible traffic, so
          > there is a clear
          > lane on either side of me. I declined the
          > suggestion to move right,
          > forcing the aspiring NASCAR fanatic to change lanes.
          > I was afforded
          > a blast of horn and a single-finger salute as he
          > rocketed past in his
          > black Lexus, doing at least one hundred and ten
          > miles per hour. How
          > arrogant.
          >
          > CK
          >
          > > you are doing the speed
          > > limit, and there is some bozoe comes up behind you
          > and flashes the
          > > headlights wanting you to speed up....HOW RUDE!!!!

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • leftmanoh
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 22, 2003
            > on the roads? Also some Teen agers need to learn road
            > courtisey... You follow the rules of the road and do
            > not flip off your elder drivers.... tasteless and
            > shame on you who do that....it is a very bad
            > reflection on your parents.....
            > Mel.S.

            More importantly the adults in question may catch up to the teenagers
            in the parking lot of a drugstore and inform the signer that he
            should keep his finger shoved up his a** where it belongs, or it will
            get him into a very serious situation. I think "world of hurt" may
            have been mentioned.
          • Benjamin Sondelski
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2004
              [subjective and sensational chaff abridged for clarity]

              < Outbound... three lanes in each direction; fifty-five speed limit;
              < very light traffic... I'm in the center lane, going nearly seventy,
              < when some [black Lexus]... in the same lane... begins flashing his
              < brights up and down, apparently indicating to me that I should move
              < over to the right... I declined the suggestion to move right... I
              < was afforded a blast of horn and a single-finger salute...

              The horn and finger were totally uncalled-for, but a polite double-
              flick of the brights would have been appropriate to remind you that
              you should always stay to the right. That you are speeding doesn't
              mean you should just park in the middle lane. There is always
              someone going faster, and it is safest and most courteous to stay out
              of the way.

              [text after this point do not apply specifically to your situation]

              A friend of mine who moved here from England remarked, "Americans
              have mastered the slow overtake." So many operators seem to think
              that if they are going 0.5 MPH faster than someone to the right, they
              should park in the left lane and edge past while cars queue up
              behind. Incorrect! When a conscientious motorist sees that he is
              overtaking a vehicle in the right lane, he ACCELERATES to pace
              traffic on the left BEFORE changing to that lane. After passing, he
              MOVES TO THE RIGHT and slows to his previous speed.
            • Charles Kuehn
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 16, 2004
                I think some of what you describe may stem from the concept of
                an "absolute" speed limit. That is to say you may not exceed the
                posted limit under any circumstances - even while passing. I've
                been told by high school drivers' education instructors and the
                occasional off-duty cop that such is the law in my home state. But
                I have never seen such a statute in our uniform vehicle code, with
                which I am quite familiar.

                One might surmise it to be in the interest of certain well-
                intentioned individuals as mentioned above to perpetrate that myth,
                for whatever small contribution it might make to the "cause". In
                reality, quite the opposite is the result, since the "slow overtake"
                causes traffic to pile up, tempers to flare, and the occasional rude
                and/or dangerous gesture or act to occur.

                Charles