hey all

  • red_judas
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 24, 2001
      I have yet to skin an animal but I look foward to
      it. I mummify things with a mixture of salt baking
      soda and herbs, it takes a long time and you lose alot
      of shape when its done, I made a really cool mobile
      out of dried song birds I found along the road. I
      pinned them down to old window screens set in salt that
      covered the bottom of a large tupperware storage
      container, its like 4 feet long. I pin them right under the
      bone on the wing and positioned them with more pins, I
      use floral pins, they are cheap and easy to insert.
      Then I pour in the salt mixture a little at first and
      spread it around, then I fill it so they are covered,
      and you cant see them anymore. I dont fill up the
      container, because you need to refresh the salt after 3
      months. I put the container out under my porch, because
      it can get a bit smelly at times depending on the
      size of what you have in there and the quantity. I
      check it about once a week to make sure there are no
      leaks and moisture hasn't gotten in. and breath it
      occasionally to let the moisture from the bodies out. I will
      also check on the state of the bodies as well. They
      get encased in this hard yellow salt ball, from all
      the fluids being drawn out. This smells really awful
      and I recommend a breather and some vicks when you do
      this, definitely some gloves too. you need to gently
      break off this hard stuff and dispose of it, stray cats
      go mad for it i dont reccomend feeding it to your
      cat though, dont let it fall back in the container
      you need fresh salt, your specimen should be stiff at
      this point, so you can remove the pins to do this, if
      not, i suggest you leave it and check in a few days.
      once all this is broken off put them back into the
      salt and cover them over with more salt mixture you
      can even add on a heavy layer of baking soda before
      the salt, this helps absorb any odor left to them.
      depending on the size they can take anywhere from 3 months
      to a year to dry throughly. I did a baby rat in 3
      weeks once but i kept it in a sunny place and had to
      breath the container every 3 days for the first week due
      to the condensation build up. I have a wide variety
      of specimens from rats of all ages to song birds,
      snakes and squirrels, and a pileated woodpecker, Im
      looking for something bigger, I think im going to get an
      old fridgerator just for the purpose.
    • gangoror
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 9, 2002
        I suggest using borax instead of salt or you will get dermestid
        beetles.