Re: new to this

  • wodensson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      As far as I know it's bark only. I did this once, and grinding
      the oak bark into powder was very time consuming, but it worked
      well, although the skin was darkened by it.
      I mixed the bark in equal portion by volume with hot water,
      stirred it up, and submerged the hide in it for five days before
      wringing, strectching to dry, etc.
      I recommend using this on small critters due to the time needed to
      powder the bark. I did three skunks in a ten gallon container, but
      I've stuck with brain tanning since.

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Keith"
      <kehollyfield@y...> wrote:

      > just starting out. i have been reading about bark tanning has
      anyone
      > done this i have a sawmill close by and i can get all the white
      and
      > red oak sawdust that i want has anybody used sawdust for there
      > tanning or does it have to be the bark only and i need to know how
      > long you leave the hide in the mix before you start tanning. thanks
    • wodensson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        And here I am! A lot of the furs I've tanned actually came from
        roadkill, and I like to think the little critters have a measure of
        immortality now as my hats, mittens, etc!

        --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"