Re: new to this

  • Victoria Arundell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
      hi, were seem to be the only ones here recently.
      ive never tried it but i would think that most of the tannin would
      be in the bark itself. i have no idea about the sawdust.
      my bf has tried it i think. ill get him to join and post to see if
      he can help you out. or maybe someone here will say something in the
      meantime #hint hint to the rest of you!#

      Baphomiss
      Victoria

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Keith"
      <kehollyfield@y...> wrote:

      > just starting out. i have been reading about bark tanning has
      anyone
      > done this i have a sawmill close by and i can get all the white
      and
      > red oak sawdust that i want has anybody used sawdust for there
      > tanning or does it have to be the bark only and i need to know how
      > long you leave the hide in the mix before you start tanning. thanks
    • wodensson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        As far as I know it's bark only. I did this once, and grinding
        the oak bark into powder was very time consuming, but it worked
        well, although the skin was darkened by it.
        I mixed the bark in equal portion by volume with hot water,
        stirred it up, and submerged the hide in it for five days before
        wringing, strectching to dry, etc.
        I recommend using this on small critters due to the time needed to
        powder the bark. I did three skunks in a ten gallon container, but
        I've stuck with brain tanning since.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          And here I am! A lot of the furs I've tanned actually came from
          roadkill, and I like to think the little critters have a measure of
          immortality now as my hats, mittens, etc!

          --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"