Intro and question about coyote rug making

  • Paulette Tumara
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18 7:44 AM
      Hi My name is Paulette. I live in N Mid MI. I raise Shetland sheep and have
      various goats that I spin and knit the wool from. I recently lost a young
      Nubian billy goat and decided to harvest its hide. I'm hoping to make some
      fine leather with it. Going to get pig brains at the butchers today. I've
      got it ready in that it's been fleshed and dehaired. I was thinking of
      stretching it on a frame at this point.
      Naturally this is so much fun I want to start more! Yesterday I was able
      to acquire a great male coyote. He's been hanging by a back leg and frozen
      for sometime. Not sure how long. I brought him in along with a frozen deer
      hide I got as well. I put the coyote under the house to thaw more slowly. I
      fleshed the deer hide and now have it in some lime. The hair'll pull off but
      not slipping easily yet. I'm not sure how to remove the coyote's pelt. I
      want to get a mold for it's head with the eyes and all. Guess I just have to
      carefully skin everywhere and then remove the membrane. Any help to a newbie
      to skinning and taxidermying would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks Paulette