skull cleaning

  • pgauthier70339
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2006
      Hi I'm a new member and I would like some tips on skull cleaning. I am
      a deer hunter and I like the european style skullmount. I have tried
      the the kits from the taxdermy suppliers but they seem expensive. Is
      there something thath I can use that is available at the grocery or
      hardware store?
    • Harald
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
        Never tried a kit, so don't know about that. I live near a marsh,
        so except in sub-freezing temps I usually bury the skull there for a
        month to six weeks. That clears off a lot of the flesh & etc. Next
        step is to scrape off as much of what remains as possible, clean out
        the brains as best I can, etc, and give it a good boiling.
        I prefer my skulls to have an "antique" look, so I don't whiten
        them. I'm told peroxide or household bleach will do that, but that
        you might need to glue the skull & teeth back together after.

        --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "pgauthier70339"
        <pgauthier70339@...> wrote:

        > Hi I'm a new member and I would like some tips on skull cleaning. I
        am
        > a deer hunter and I like the european style skullmount. I have tried
        > the the kits from the taxdermy suppliers but they seem expensive. Is
        > there something thath I can use that is available at the grocery or
        > hardware store?

      • Victoria Arundell
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2006
          you could bury it to clean it but it stains the skull a bit. boiling
          it in a large pot over a few hours will remove flesh but antlered
          skulls could be tricky. i left a sheep skull outside until it was well
          rotted-down. hosed it then soaked it in petrol for a fortnight to
          degrease it. much cheaper than taxidermy supplies degreaseants and
          just as effective. then a few days soaking in a mild bleach solution
          left it white. it took the shiny finish off the skull though and left
          it matt-looking. peroxide might be better and you can get big bottles
          of it cheap from chemists.

          Victoria

          <pgauthier70339@...> wrote:

          > Hi I'm a new member and I would like some tips on skull cleaning. I am
          > a deer hunter and I like the european style skullmount. I have tried
          > the the kits from the taxdermy suppliers but they seem expensive. Is
          > there something thath I can use that is available at the grocery or
          > hardware store?

        • Harald
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2006
            Perhaps a coating of polyuerethane would restore the gloss as well as
            protecting the bone. I rather like the stained look though, as it
            gives an 'old' quality to the skull.

            --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"