Re: Nearly the Season

  • wodensson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 18, 2006
      During the summer/early autumn I don't see much either. Food is
      easily available, so the critters don't need to range as far. But
      freezing time is coming, so you'll be seeing something soon!

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
      <baphomiss@...> wrote:

      > keeping my eyes peeled for dead things and coming up with nowt! just
      > one dead cicada. not even any raccoons rifling through the bins.
      *sigh*

      > Victoria

    • wodensson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2006
        I've removed teeth from fresh carcasses pretty sucsessfully by
        using a grinding bit on a dremmel tool. I cut thru the bone around
        the tooth enough to make it thin and flexible, then work the tooth
        out with a pliars. I made this safer by super gluing heavy felt to
        the pliar's jaws.
        The downside of this is that you have to cut thru the gums (I cut
        of the lips as well) which would leave your friend's pet in a messy
        state. If they have no objection to that, it should work well.

        --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Edward VanHalen
        <planetmonkey2002@...> wrote:

        > QUESTION:
        >
        > I have a couple friends who are losing pets soon due to illness.
        One is a large Rottweiler, the other a small cat. I have saved claws
        from pets for friends in the past, but was wondering how to salvage
        some teeth? Pliers have resulted in some messy situations in the
        past..is there an easy way to remove teeth from freshly dead animals
        with minimal damage to the teeth? I was thinking of saving the cats
        tail as well...Anyone else do this type of work for friends?