[RoadKill and Taxidermy] Re: You know you belong on RoadKillTaxidermy when...

  • wodensson
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 27, 2006
      Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to pay attention.
      In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals nearby that makes a
      habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad Monkey
      <planetmonkey2002@...> wrote:

      > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that picking up
      > roadkill is illegal.
      >
      > MonkeyBoy

    • Victoria Arundell
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 2, 2006
        not illegal here. i think? though you will get funny looks. i hear its
        not uncommon for guys to trawl the roads in the us, actually competing
        for the roadkilss but here in the uk theyre more likely to call the
        cops because they think youre a weirdo! :)
        Baphomiss

        --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson"
        <wodensson@...> wrote:

        > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to pay attention.
        > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals nearby that makes a
        > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
        >
        > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad Monkey
        > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that picking up
        > > roadkill is illegal.
        > >
        > > MonkeyBoy

      • Charlotte Rodgers
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2006
          In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
          badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
          Charlotte

          ---------------------------------

          <wodensson@...> wrote:

          > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
          pay attention.
          > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
          nearby that makes a
          > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
          >
          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
          Monkey
          > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
          picking up
          > > roadkill is illegal.
          > >
          > > MonkeyBoy

          Taxidermy Hobby and
          craft supply Craft
          hobby

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • Charles L Morse Sr
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 3, 2006
            Road kill is perfectly legal to pick up here in Tennessee . Only requirement
            is you tell the game wardens you picked it up where ,time ,and what it was .
            One exception no golden eagles to be picked up . You report them and they
            pick them up . If you are a American Indian with tribal PROOF you may pick
            them up . Not sure how it works for them . Would have to check on that part
            I know several family members do it . But I have never applied for a tribal
            citizenship my self .

            <wodensson@...> wrote:

            > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
            pay attention.
            > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
            nearby that makes a
            > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
            >
            > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
            Monkey
            > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
            > >

            > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
            picking up
            > > roadkill is illegal.
            > >
            > > MonkeyBoy

            Taxidermy Hobby and
            craft supply Craft
            hobby

            Terms of Service.

            Visit your group "roadkillandtaxidermy" on the web.

          • Victoria Arundell
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 6, 2006
              i didnt know that. i know theyre a protected species but surely it
              cant be illegal to possess a carcass if you can prove its raodkill? i
              wonder would the protected species act extend to picking up roadkill
              birds of prey like ospreys, eagles, falcons, owls, etc?
              Victoria

              --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
              <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

              > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
              > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
              > Charlotte
              >

              > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > not illegal here. i think? though you will get funny
              > looks. i hear its
              > not uncommon for guys to trawl the roads in the us,
              > actually competing
              > for the roadkilss but here in the uk theyre more
              > likely to call the
              > cops because they think youre a weirdo! :)
              > Baphomiss
              >
              > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
              > "wodensson"
              > <wodensson@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
              > pay attention.
              > > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
              > nearby that makes a
              > > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
              > >
              > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
              > Monkey
              > > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
              > picking up
              > > > roadkill is illegal.
              > > >
              > > > MonkeyBoy

              > Taxidermy Hobby and
              > craft supply Craft
              > hobby

              > Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------

            • Victoria Arundell
              Message 6 of 29 , Mar 6, 2006
                i thought any eagles found had to be relinquished to a tribe or
                governing body who would share out the feathers amongst those on a
                waiting-list who had requested them?
                Victoria

                --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charles L Morse Sr
                <FAT350BOY@...> wrote:

                > Road kill is perfectly legal to pick up here in Tennessee . Only
                requirement
                > is you tell the game wardens you picked it up where ,time ,and what
                it was .
                > One exception no golden eagles to be picked up . You report them and
                they
                > pick them up . If you are a American Indian with tribal PROOF you
                may pick
                > them up . Not sure how it works for them . Would have to check on
                that part
                > I know several family members do it . But I have never applied for
                a tribal
                > citizenship my self .

              • The Mad Monkey
                Message 7 of 29 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Here in the USA, the specifics vary from state to
                  state regarding roadkill harvesting.

                  I had a buddy who worked for the Dept of Agriculture
                  here and was specifically told that ANY roadkill was
                  forbidden to harvest. The reasons were twofold:

                  1. Fish & Game has no way to verify the kill you have
                  in the back of your car was REALLY roadkill or
                  poaching (even if it's got a friggin tire track across
                  it's back!). True enough though, some of the birds I
                  have received had almost no visible impact site &
                  looked like they might have been net-trapped or
                  something.

                  2. Safety issues. They don't want you to be milling
                  around roadside unnecesarrily as you might get hit by
                  a car.

                  I appreciate the spirit of the law, but I still get
                  plenty of roadkill, including roadside scores. I have
                  pulled a still-warm carcass off the road several times
                  which would be a guaranteed ticket if caught.

                  Monk

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • wodensson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Mar 6, 2006
                    I suppose that's an advantage to living in an area where trolling
                    for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf for example, is no
                    more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so there's no reason
                    to shy away.

                    <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                    > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                    > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                    > Charlotte
                  • Victoria Arundell
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 7, 2006
                      still, i live in town with no transport so i can only go as far as my
                      feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill. once in a blue moon
                      ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it. id be grateful
                      even for a mangy fox!
                      Victoria

                      <wodensson@...> wrote:

                      > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an area where trolling
                      > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf for example, is no
                      > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so there's no reason
                      > to shy away.
                      >
                      > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
                      > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                      > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                      > > Charlotte

                    • The Mad Monkey
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 7, 2006
                        Victoria,

                        I pulled a "mangy fox" right off the busiest
                        interstate highway intersection in Colorado last
                        winter. All I was able to salvage was teeth, some
                        claws, and the tail (which was really cool). It was
                        the largest mammal I had attempted to salvage, so it
                        was an adventure. A lot different than the million or
                        so owls (& other birds) I have cleaned.

                        Happy hunting for you!!

                        --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:

                        > still, i live in town with no transport so i can
                        > only go as far as my
                        > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill.
                        > once in a blue moon
                        > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                        > id be grateful
                        > even for a mangy fox!
                        > Victoria
                        >
                        > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                        > "wodensson"
                        > <wodensson@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                        > area where trolling
                        > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                        > for example, is no
                        > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                        > there's no reason
                        > > to shy away.
                        > >
                        > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                        > Charlotte Rodgers
                        > > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is
                        > okay...though
                        > > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                        > > > Charlotte

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • wodensson
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 7, 2006
                          Hmmm.... I suppose the largest mammal I've harvested would be one
                          of the dozen or so Whitetail Deer over the years. The hides are
                          very warm, and the meat tasty if you get it quick enough.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 7, 2006
                            My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                            worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                            aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                            wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                            a gas which is quite toxic...
                            Anyone come across this?
                            By the way to all members in the U.K/ Europe...I guess
                            its wise to avoid birds at the moment?

                            Victora...I dont have much on hand at the moment but I
                            could probably get assorted bones and bits to you if
                            you want.
                            I live on the outskirts of Bath, so I do get a fair
                            few finds.

                            <wodensson@...> wrote:

                            > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                            area where trolling
                            > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                            for example, is no
                            > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                            there's no reason
                            > to shy away.
                            >
                            > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                            Charlotte Rodgers
                            > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                            > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                            > > Charlotte

                            Taxidermy Hobby and
                            craft supply Craft
                            hobby

                            Terms of Service.

                            ---------------------------------
                          • Victoria Arundell
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 8, 2006
                              -id kill for a fox or a badger! so far ive just got a lot of
                              salt-cured birds wings and claws, plus some cat skeletons. i was
                              deperate for a large skull so i got a pigs head from the butchers and
                              cleaned it. looks good. its the biggest specimin in my collection. the
                              only carnivore i have so far is a coyote. the rest are squirrels, red
                              deer,roe deer, sheep, goats, crows, and a raccoon.
                              Victoria

                              <planetmonkey2002@...> wrote:

                              > Victoria,
                              >
                              > I pulled a "mangy fox" right off the busiest
                              > interstate highway intersection in Colorado last
                              > winter. All I was able to salvage was teeth, some
                              > claws, and the tail (which was really cool). It was
                              > the largest mammal I had attempted to salvage, so it
                              > was an adventure. A lot different than the million or
                              > so owls (& other birds) I have cleaned.
                              >
                              > Happy hunting for you!!
                              >
                              > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > still, i live in town with no transport so i can
                              > > only go as far as my
                              > > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill.
                              > > once in a blue moon
                              > > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                              > > id be grateful
                              > > even for a mangy fox!
                              > > Victoria
                              > >
                              > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                              > > "wodensson"
                              > > <wodensson@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                              > > area where trolling
                              > > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                              > > for example, is no
                              > > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                              > > there's no reason
                              > > > to shy away.
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                              > > Charlotte Rodgers

                              > > okay...though

                              > http://mail.yahoo.com

                            • Victoria Arundell
                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 8, 2006
                                i spotted lots of red deer in the scottish highlands but wed have
                                found it a little difficult to haul one away on the motorbike!:) nice
                                antlers on some of them too. the things you see when you dont have a
                                knife and a hacksaw. we did buy some stag skulls and drove a couple of
                                hundred miles with them strapped to the back of the bike. heh heh! the
                                limit ill go to to obtain dead things is yet to be reached.
                                Victoria

                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 8, 2006
                                  i know dead animals give off methane caused by internal
                                  decomposition. it stinks and can be flammable but i doubt its
                                  dangerous. ive often been out walking and caught the distinct whiff of
                                  methane, following my nose to discover unseen tresures, like a dead
                                  sheep hidden behind a hedge, or a pheasant in a ditch.
                                  id be more wary of obtaining parasites or diseases from roadkills. a
                                  mask at all times would be the best precaution.
                                  any bones or skulls you have id be grateful for! im particularly on
                                  the lookout for foxes and badgers. or any mustelids like weasels,
                                  mink, polecat etc.but nearly anything will do.

                                  <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                                  > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                  > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                  > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                  > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                  > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                  > Anyone come across this?
                                  > By the way to all members in the U.K/ Europe...I guess
                                  > its wise to avoid birds at the moment?
                                  >
                                  > Victora...I dont have much on hand at the moment but I
                                  > could probably get assorted bones and bits to you if
                                  > you want.
                                  > I live on the outskirts of Bath, so I do get a fair
                                  > few finds.
                                  >
                                  > Charlotte
                                  > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > ---------------------------------
                                  > still, i live in town with no transport so i can only
                                  > go as far as my
                                  > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill. once
                                  > in a blue moon
                                  > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                                  > id be grateful
                                  > even for a mangy fox!
                                  > Victoria
                                  >
                                  > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > "wodensson"
                                  > <wodensson@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                                  > area where trolling
                                  > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                                  > for example, is no
                                  > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                                  > there's no reason
                                  > > to shy away.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                  > Charlotte Rodgers
                                  > > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                                  > > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                  > > > Charlotte

                                  > Taxidermy Hobby and
                                  > craft supply Craft
                                  > hobby

                                  > Terms of Service.
                                  >

                                  > ---------------------------------

                                • Leslie
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 9, 2006
                                    Because of all the damm porno I get on this site, I never come here anymore. But I happen to catch some of you illegle roadkill pick-up discussioin and I have found a way to solve that problem. I got a 10 hr. a week job at a nature center that gives me access to permitts needed for pick-up. I donate to them what I don't want (and I pick-up deer also to feed the raptors) in return, I get to keep what I want.

                                  • boneztreehgr
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 9, 2006
                                      ---I am an environmental eduacator with the parks and NO it is not
                                      legal to pick-up roadkill there, and you don't have golden eagles, You
                                      have Bald eagles. Yes, with huntable game you can get a roadkill
                                      permit, but not will ALL stuff.
                                    • wodensson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 9, 2006
                                        That's news to me. Although I always do any skinning or butchery
                                        outdoors, so perhaps the gas is dispersed. I do clean the hides
                                        inside sometimes, but the carcasses only come in if they're fresh and
                                        edible.

                                        <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                                        > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                        > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                        > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                        > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                        > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                        > Anyone come across this?
                                      • wodensson
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 9, 2006
                                          That's probably wise. I don't use a mask, but do carry surgical
                                          gloves in my harvesting kit, and I generally only pick up in weather
                                          that's cold enough the likelyhood of ticks, lice, etc, is
                                          diminished. A houseful of fleas can be a real bother!

                                          --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 11, 2006
                                            -hmm. theres a cookbook coming out soon (if it isnt out already) which
                                            has recipes for almost any uk animal you can think of, including
                                            badger . youre comment "only comes indoors if its fresh and edible"
                                            reminded me of it.
                                            ill try to find some info

                                            <wodensson@...> wrote:

                                            > That's news to me. Although I always do any skinning or butchery
                                            > outdoors, so perhaps the gas is dispersed. I do clean the hides
                                            > inside sometimes, but the carcasses only come in if they're fresh and
                                            > edible.
                                            >
                                            > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
                                            > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                            > > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                            > > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                            > > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                            > > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                            > > Anyone come across this?

                                          • Victoria Arundell
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 11, 2006
                                              Topic: Roadkill fan penning recipe book!
                                              steve mclean
                                              Sex male
                                              Age 42
                                              Posts 495
                                              Last on 11/03/06
                                              send private reply

                                              Anyone for dinner at Mr Boyt's? .. i thought not!

                                              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4660060.stm

                                              Roadkill fan penning recipe book

                                              Arthur Boyt has been cooking roadkill for 30 years
                                              A man from north Cornwall who regularly eats animals killed on the
                                              roads is
                                              set to share his unusual taste with others.
                                              Arthur Boyt, who is 66 and from Davidstow, is writing a recipe book about
                                              his gastronomic enthusiasm for roadkill.

                                              Mr Boyt, a retired civil servant, insists the creatures are no threat to
                                              health if they are well cooked.

                                              He has been picking up the bodies of a wide variety of creatures and
                                              cooking
                                              them for 30 years.

                                              'Good meat'

                                              Mr Boyt, who has a degree in biology, cooks the meat at a high temperature
                                              for a long time, ensuring it is safe to eat.

                                              "It's good meat for free and I know nobody has been messing with it and
                                              feeding it with hormones and growth accelerants and so on. It's just
                                              natural, fully organic meat."

                                              Some of his more unusual meals have included a greater horseshoe bat and
                                              otter.

                                              He regularly eats badger, rabbit, deer, weasel, hedgehog, squirrel and
                                              fox.

                                              "I've lived off roadkill for the last 30 years or so. It adds to the
                                              pleasure of a meal to know I haven't paid for it," said Mr Boyt, whose
                                              wife
                                              Su is a vegetarian.

                                              Mr Boyt says that as well as writing his book he has been approached by
                                              Gordon Ramsay's cookery programme the F-Word, to cook one of his roadkill
                                              dishes later this year.