Re: You know you belong on RoadKillTaxidermy when...

  • wodensson
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 6, 2006
      This is brilliant! Especially since I qualify under nearly every
      item!

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
      <baphomiss@...> wrote:

      > ok, ripped off FurHideandBone livejournal community but i thought
      this
      > was great!
      > written by Shywolfmyst
      >

      > You know...
      > (In no particular order) You know you belong on roadkillandtaxidermy
      when:

    • Victoria Arundell
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
        -heh heh. me too. though theres some i cant apply to me if wish i could`~~!

        Baphomiss

        -- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson" <
        wodensson@...> wrote:

        > This is brilliant! Especially since I qualify under nearly every
        > item!
        >
        > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
        > <baphomiss@> wrote:
        > >
        > > ok, ripped off FurHideandBone livejournal community but i thought
        > this
        > > was great!
        > > written by Shywolfmyst
        > >

        > > You know...
        > > (In no particular order) You know you belong on roadkillandtaxidermy
        > when:

      • Charlotte Rodgers
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 8, 2006
          its nice to know there are others out there with the
          same mind set...I have a rewards scheme that makes it
          worth while for my friends to carry black plastic bags
          in their boot...the larger the road kill the greater
          the prize!
          Ironically one of my best 'passive hunters' is a
          vegan; I bake him vegan delicacies and he brings me
          amazing road kill!
          Charlotte

          ---------------------------------

          wodensson@...> wrote:

          > This is brilliant! Especially since I qualify
          under nearly every
          > item!
          >
          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
          "Victoria Arundell"
          > <baphomiss@> wrote:
          > >
          > > ok, ripped off FurHideandBone livejournal
          community but i thought
          > this
          > > was great!
          > > written by Shywolfmyst
          > >

          > > You know...
          > > (In no particular order) You know you belong on
          roadkillandtaxidermy
          > when:

          Taxidermy Hobby and
          craft supply Craft
          hobby

          Terms of Service.

          ---------------------------------
        • wodensson
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 9, 2006
            Ah, but you're still quite young! In time no doubt you'll surpass
            the list. You just need the opportunity and a willing partner...

            <baphomiss@...> wrote:

            > -heh heh. me too. though theres some i cant apply to me if wish i
            could`~~!

            > Baphomiss
            >
            > -- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson" <
            > wodensson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > This is brilliant! Especially since I qualify under nearly
            every
            > > item!

          • Victoria Arundell
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
              -and lots of dead things to play with! heh heh!

              <wodensson@...> wrote:

              > Ah, but you're still quite young! In time no doubt you'll
              surpass
              > the list. You just need the opportunity and a willing partner...
              >
              > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
              > <baphomiss@> wrote:
              > >
              > > -heh heh. me too. though theres some i cant apply to me if wish
              > could`~~!
              > >
              > > Baphomiss
              > >
              > > -- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson" <
              > > wodensson@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > This is brilliant! Especially since I qualify under nearly
              > every
              > > > item!

            • wodensson
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 21, 2006
                It's been a disappointing winter for that here. The weather has
                been exceptionally mild with only a few cold spells, so there hasn't
                been enough pressure on the various critters in these parts to get
                many fender-bent. I'll have to go out and hunt a few down, I suppose.

                <baphomiss@...> wrote:

                > -and lots of dead things to play with! heh heh!
                > Baphomiss

              • The Mad Monkey
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 22, 2006
                  --- wodensson <wodensson@...> wrote:

                  > It's been a disappointing winter for that here.

                  Here in Colorado it's been pretty dry as well. I have
                  a friend that runs special courier deliveries in a
                  five state area around Denver, and he has brought be a
                  literal TROVE of fun stuff in past winters - only
                  managed to find a few gems this winter thus far. I
                  won't mention specifics, but some things have been
                  breathtaking.

                  I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that picking up
                  roadkill is illegal.

                  MonkeyBoy

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • wodensson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 27, 2006
                    Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to pay attention.
                    In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals nearby that makes a
                    habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.

                    --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad Monkey
                    <planetmonkey2002@...> wrote:

                    > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that picking up
                    > roadkill is illegal.
                    >
                    > MonkeyBoy

                  • Victoria Arundell
                    Message 9 of 29 , Mar 2 12:15 PM
                      not illegal here. i think? though you will get funny looks. i hear its
                      not uncommon for guys to trawl the roads in the us, actually competing
                      for the roadkilss but here in the uk theyre more likely to call the
                      cops because they think youre a weirdo! :)

                      <wodensson@...> wrote:

                      > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to pay attention.
                      > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals nearby that makes a
                      > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
                      >
                      > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad Monkey
                      > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that picking up
                      > > roadkill is illegal.
                      > >
                      > > MonkeyBoy

                    • Charlotte Rodgers
                      Message 10 of 29 , Mar 3 1:14 AM
                        In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                        badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                        Charlotte

                        <wodensson@...> wrote:

                        > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
                        pay attention.
                        > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
                        nearby that makes a
                        > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
                        >
                        > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
                        Monkey
                        > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
                        picking up
                        > > roadkill is illegal.
                        > >
                        > > MonkeyBoy

                        Taxidermy Hobby and
                        craft supply Craft
                        hobby

                        Terms of Service.

                        ---------------------------------
                      • Charles L Morse Sr
                        Message 11 of 29 , Mar 3 2:31 AM
                          Road kill is perfectly legal to pick up here in Tennessee . Only requirement
                          is you tell the game wardens you picked it up where ,time ,and what it was .
                          One exception no golden eagles to be picked up . You report them and they
                          pick them up . If you are a American Indian with tribal PROOF you may pick
                          them up . Not sure how it works for them . Would have to check on that part
                          I know several family members do it . But I have never applied for a tribal
                          citizenship my self .

                          <wodensson@...> wrote:

                          > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
                          pay attention.
                          > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
                          nearby that makes a
                          > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
                          >
                          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
                          Monkey
                          > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
                          picking up
                          > > roadkill is illegal.
                          > >
                          > > MonkeyBoy

                          Taxidermy Hobby and
                          craft supply Craft
                          hobby

                          Terms of Service.

                          Visit your group "roadkillandtaxidermy" on the web.

                        • Victoria Arundell
                          Message 12 of 29 , Mar 6 11:51 AM
                            i didnt know that. i know theyre a protected species but surely it
                            cant be illegal to possess a carcass if you can prove its raodkill? i
                            wonder would the protected species act extend to picking up roadkill
                            birds of prey like ospreys, eagles, falcons, owls, etc?
                            Victoria

                            --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
                            <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                            > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                            > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                            > Charlotte
                            >

                            > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------
                            > not illegal here. i think? though you will get funny
                            > looks. i hear its
                            > not uncommon for guys to trawl the roads in the us,
                            > actually competing
                            > for the roadkilss but here in the uk theyre more
                            > likely to call the
                            > cops because they think youre a weirdo! :)
                            > Baphomiss
                            >
                            > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                            > "wodensson"
                            > <wodensson@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Agreed. It's the same here, but nobody seems to
                            > pay attention.
                            > > In fact there's a farm for retired exotic animals
                            > nearby that makes a
                            > > habit of picking up whitetail carcasses as feed.
                            > >
                            > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, The Mad
                            > Monkey
                            > > <planetmonkey2002@> wrote:
                            > > >

                            > > > I still think it's a bunch of bullsh*t that
                            > picking up
                            > > > roadkill is illegal.
                            > > >
                            > > > MonkeyBoy

                            > Taxidermy Hobby and
                            > craft supply Craft
                            > hobby

                            > Terms of Service.
                            >

                            > ---------------------------------

                          • Victoria Arundell
                            Message 13 of 29 , Mar 6 11:53 AM
                              i thought any eagles found had to be relinquished to a tribe or
                              governing body who would share out the feathers amongst those on a
                              waiting-list who had requested them?
                              Victoria

                              --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charles L Morse Sr

                              Message 14 of 29 , Mar 6 12:35 PM
                                Here in the USA, the specifics vary from state to
                                state regarding roadkill harvesting.

                                I had a buddy who worked for the Dept of Agriculture
                                here and was specifically told that ANY roadkill was
                                forbidden to harvest. The reasons were twofold:

                                1. Fish & Game has no way to verify the kill you have
                                in the back of your car was REALLY roadkill or
                                poaching (even if it's got a friggin tire track across
                                it's back!). True enough though, some of the birds I
                                have received had almost no visible impact site &
                                looked like they might have been net-trapped or
                                something.

                                2. Safety issues. They don't want you to be milling
                                around roadside unnecesarrily as you might get hit by
                                a car.

                                I appreciate the spirit of the law, but I still get
                                plenty of roadkill, including roadside scores. I have
                                pulled a still-warm carcass off the road several times
                                which would be a guaranteed ticket if caught.

                                Monk

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • wodensson
                                Message 15 of 29 , Mar 6 12:46 PM
                                  I suppose that's an advantage to living in an area where trolling
                                  for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf for example, is no
                                  more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so there's no reason
                                  to shy away.

                                  <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                                  > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                                  > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                  > Charlotte
                                • Victoria Arundell
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 7 11:45 AM
                                    still, i live in town with no transport so i can only go as far as my
                                    feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill. once in a blue moon
                                    ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it. id be grateful
                                    even for a mangy fox!
                                    Victoria

                                    <wodensson@...> wrote:

                                    > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an area where trolling
                                    > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf for example, is no
                                    > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so there's no reason
                                    > to shy away.
                                    >
                                    > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
                                    > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                                    > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                    > > Charlotte

                                  • The Mad Monkey
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 7 11:51 AM
                                      Victoria,

                                      I pulled a "mangy fox" right off the busiest
                                      interstate highway intersection in Colorado last
                                      winter. All I was able to salvage was teeth, some
                                      claws, and the tail (which was really cool). It was
                                      the largest mammal I had attempted to salvage, so it
                                      was an adventure. A lot different than the million or
                                      so owls (& other birds) I have cleaned.

                                      Happy hunting for you!!

                                      --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:

                                      > still, i live in town with no transport so i can
                                      > only go as far as my
                                      > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill.
                                      > once in a blue moon
                                      > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                                      > id be grateful
                                      > even for a mangy fox!
                                      > Victoria
                                      >
                                      > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                      > "wodensson"
                                      > <wodensson@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                                      > area where trolling
                                      > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                                      > for example, is no
                                      > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                                      > there's no reason
                                      > > to shy away.
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                      > Charlotte Rodgers
                                      > > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is
                                      > okay...though
                                      > > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                      > > > Charlotte

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • wodensson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 7 12:48 PM
                                        Hmmm.... I suppose the largest mammal I've harvested would be one
                                        of the dozen or so Whitetail Deer over the years. The hides are
                                        very warm, and the meat tasty if you get it quick enough.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 7 11:08 PM
                                          My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                          worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                          aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                          wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                          a gas which is quite toxic...
                                          Anyone come across this?
                                          By the way to all members in the U.K/ Europe...I guess
                                          its wise to avoid birds at the moment?

                                          Victora...I dont have much on hand at the moment but I
                                          could probably get assorted bones and bits to you if
                                          you want.
                                          I live on the outskirts of Bath, so I do get a fair
                                          few finds.

                                          Charlotte

                                          <wodensson@...> wrote:

                                          > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                                          area where trolling
                                          > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                                          for example, is no
                                          > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                                          there's no reason
                                          > to shy away.
                                          >
                                          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                          Charlotte Rodgers
                                          > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                                          > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                          > > Charlotte

                                          Taxidermy Hobby and
                                          craft supply Craft
                                          hobby

                                          Terms of Service.

                                          ---------------------------------
                                        • Victoria Arundell
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 8 10:43 AM
                                            -id kill for a fox or a badger! so far ive just got a lot of
                                            salt-cured birds wings and claws, plus some cat skeletons. i was
                                            deperate for a large skull so i got a pigs head from the butchers and
                                            cleaned it. looks good. its the biggest specimin in my collection. the
                                            only carnivore i have so far is a coyote. the rest are squirrels, red
                                            deer,roe deer, sheep, goats, crows, and a raccoon.
                                            Victoria

                                            <planetmonkey2002@...> wrote:

                                            > Victoria,
                                            >
                                            > I pulled a "mangy fox" right off the busiest
                                            > interstate highway intersection in Colorado last
                                            > winter. All I was able to salvage was teeth, some
                                            > claws, and the tail (which was really cool). It was
                                            > the largest mammal I had attempted to salvage, so it
                                            > was an adventure. A lot different than the million or
                                            > so owls (& other birds) I have cleaned.
                                            >
                                            > Happy hunting for you!!
                                            >
                                            > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > still, i live in town with no transport so i can
                                            > > only go as far as my
                                            > > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill.
                                            > > once in a blue moon
                                            > > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                                            > > id be grateful
                                            > > even for a mangy fox!
                                            > > Victoria
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                            > > "wodensson"
                                            > > <wodensson@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                                            > > area where trolling
                                            > > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                                            > > for example, is no
                                            > > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                                            > > there's no reason
                                            > > > to shy away.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                            > > Charlotte Rodgers

                                            > > okay...though

                                            > http://mail.yahoo.com

                                          • Victoria Arundell
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 8 10:46 AM
                                              i spotted lots of red deer in the scottish highlands but wed have
                                              found it a little difficult to haul one away on the motorbike!:) nice
                                              antlers on some of them too. the things you see when you dont have a
                                              knife and a hacksaw. we did buy some stag skulls and drove a couple of
                                              hundred miles with them strapped to the back of the bike. heh heh! the
                                              limit ill go to to obtain dead things is yet to be reached.
                                              Victoria

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 8 10:52 AM
                                                i know dead animals give off methane caused by internal
                                                decomposition. it stinks and can be flammable but i doubt its
                                                dangerous. ive often been out walking and caught the distinct whiff of
                                                methane, following my nose to discover unseen tresures, like a dead
                                                sheep hidden behind a hedge, or a pheasant in a ditch.
                                                id be more wary of obtaining parasites or diseases from roadkills. a
                                                mask at all times would be the best precaution.
                                                any bones or skulls you have id be grateful for! im particularly on
                                                the lookout for foxes and badgers. or any mustelids like weasels,
                                                mink, polecat etc.but nearly anything will do.

                                                <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                                                > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                                > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                                > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                                > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                                > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                                > Anyone come across this?
                                                > By the way to all members in the U.K/ Europe...I guess
                                                > its wise to avoid birds at the moment?
                                                >
                                                > Victora...I dont have much on hand at the moment but I
                                                > could probably get assorted bones and bits to you if
                                                > you want.
                                                > I live on the outskirts of Bath, so I do get a fair
                                                > few finds.
                                                >
                                                > Charlotte
                                                > --- Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                > ---------------------------------
                                                > still, i live in town with no transport so i can only
                                                > go as far as my
                                                > feet will take me. not much chance for roadkill. once
                                                > in a blue moon
                                                > ill get lucky and find a cat or a bird but thats it.
                                                > id be grateful
                                                > even for a mangy fox!
                                                > Victoria
                                                >
                                                > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                                > "wodensson"
                                                > <wodensson@> wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > I suppose that's an advantage to living in an
                                                > area where trolling
                                                > > for fur is illegal. A protected pelt, like wolf
                                                > for example, is no
                                                > > more dangerous to harvest than a common skunk, so
                                                > there's no reason
                                                > > to shy away.
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com,
                                                > Charlotte Rodgers
                                                > > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                                > > >
                                                > > > In the U.K I think most roadkill is okay...though
                                                > > > badger is definitly illegal to pick up.
                                                > > > Charlotte

                                                > Taxidermy Hobby and
                                                > craft supply Craft
                                                > hobby

                                                > Terms of Service.
                                                >

                                                > ---------------------------------

                                              • Leslie
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Mar 9 8:49 AM
                                                  Because of all the damm porno I get on this site, I never come here anymore. But I happen to catch some of you illegle roadkill pick-up discussioin and I have found a way to solve that problem. I got a 10 hr. a week job at a nature center that gives me access to permitts needed for pick-up. I donate to them what I don't want (and I pick-up deer also to feed the raptors) in return, I get to keep what I want.

                                                • boneztreehgr
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Mar 9 8:55 AM
                                                    ---I am an environmental eduacator with the parks and NO it is not
                                                    legal to pick-up roadkill there, and you don't have golden eagles, You
                                                    have Bald eagles. Yes, with huntable game you can get a roadkill
                                                    permit, but not will ALL stuff.
                                                  • wodensson
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Mar 9 12:48 PM
                                                      That's news to me. Although I always do any skinning or butchery
                                                      outdoors, so perhaps the gas is dispersed. I do clean the hides
                                                      inside sometimes, but the carcasses only come in if they're fresh and
                                                      edible.

                                                      <charlottejane2002@...> wrote:

                                                      > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                                      > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                                      > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                                      > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                                      > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                                      > Anyone come across this?
                                                    • wodensson
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Mar 9 12:53 PM
                                                        That's probably wise. I don't use a mask, but do carry surgical
                                                        gloves in my harvesting kit, and I generally only pick up in weather
                                                        that's cold enough the likelyhood of ticks, lice, etc, is
                                                        diminished. A houseful of fleas can be a real bother!

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Mar 11 8:37 AM
                                                          -hmm. theres a cookbook coming out soon (if it isnt out already) which
                                                          has recipes for almost any uk animal you can think of, including
                                                          badger . youre comment "only comes indoors if its fresh and edible"
                                                          reminded me of it.
                                                          ill try to find some info

                                                          <wodensson@...> wrote:

                                                          > That's news to me. Although I always do any skinning or butchery
                                                          > outdoors, so perhaps the gas is dispersed. I do clean the hides
                                                          > inside sometimes, but the carcasses only come in if they're fresh and
                                                          > edible.
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Rodgers
                                                          > <charlottejane2002@> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > My biggest has been badgers...the first badger I
                                                          > > worked with I became pretty ill afterwards and was
                                                          > > aware of the taste/smell of badger afterwards (now I
                                                          > > wear a mask!) and was told that dead animals gave off
                                                          > > a gas which is quite toxic...
                                                          > > Anyone come across this?

                                                        • Victoria Arundell
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Mar 11 8:39 AM
                                                            Topic: Roadkill fan penning recipe book!
                                                            steve mclean
                                                            Sex male
                                                            Age 42
                                                            Posts 495
                                                            Last on 11/03/06
                                                            send private reply

                                                            Anyone for dinner at Mr Boyt's? .. i thought not!

                                                            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4660060.stm

                                                            Roadkill fan penning recipe book

                                                            Arthur Boyt has been cooking roadkill for 30 years
                                                            A man from north Cornwall who regularly eats animals killed on the
                                                            roads is
                                                            set to share his unusual taste with others.
                                                            Arthur Boyt, who is 66 and from Davidstow, is writing a recipe book about
                                                            his gastronomic enthusiasm for roadkill.

                                                            Mr Boyt, a retired civil servant, insists the creatures are no threat to
                                                            health if they are well cooked.

                                                            He has been picking up the bodies of a wide variety of creatures and
                                                            cooking
                                                            them for 30 years.

                                                            'Good meat'

                                                            Mr Boyt, who has a degree in biology, cooks the meat at a high temperature
                                                            for a long time, ensuring it is safe to eat.

                                                            "It's good meat for free and I know nobody has been messing with it and
                                                            feeding it with hormones and growth accelerants and so on. It's just
                                                            natural, fully organic meat."

                                                            Some of his more unusual meals have included a greater horseshoe bat and
                                                            otter.

                                                            He regularly eats badger, rabbit, deer, weasel, hedgehog, squirrel and
                                                            fox.

                                                            "I've lived off roadkill for the last 30 years or so. It adds to the
                                                            pleasure of a meal to know I haven't paid for it," said Mr Boyt, whose
                                                            wife
                                                            Su is a vegetarian.

                                                            Mr Boyt says that as well as writing his book he has been approached by
                                                            Gordon Ramsay's cookery programme the F-Word, to cook one of his roadkill
                                                            dishes later this year.