All quiet on the taxidermy front...

  • Victoria Arundell
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
      very quiet in here!
      ok. heres one for all you experts.
      ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time he goes
      out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with face,
      legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what to use
      to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop and buy
      bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
      theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
      chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find unless you
      happen to be a university chemistry professor!
      so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
      using everyday easy to find substances?
      Baphomiss
    • wodensson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
        If you're planning to simply hang the skin decoratively, you don't
        need anything sp[ecial. I recommend case skinning, which involves
        peeling the skin off the carcass and turning it inside out in the
        process. Scrape it well and rub it down with salt, then roll in
        newspaper til the next day.
        Next, remove the salt and stretch the skin tightly on a frame, then
        keep it in an area where it will be dry. You will want to use a fan
        or space heater to circulate the air over it til it's thoroughly dry.
        The skin will be stiff, so rub it back and forth over the edge of a
        table or worktop to make it pliable, then turn it rightside out and
        you're done.
        If you want a supple finish, I'm not sure what products you can
        use. I've been told by one individual that he's had some success with
        Neatsfoot oil, whis is sold on the US market as a leather preserver,
        but I've never tried it myself.

        --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
        <baphomiss@y...> wrote:

        > very quiet in here!
        > ok. heres one for all you experts.
        > ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time he goes
        > out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with face,
        > legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what to use
        > to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop and buy
        > bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
        > theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
        > chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find unless you
        > happen to be a university chemistry professor!
        > so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
        > using everyday easy to find substances?
        > Baphomiss

      • Victoria Arundell
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
          id like to have a go at stuffing him using a homemade form so id
          prefer him not to be too stiff. how do you stretch the skin tightly if
          its in tubular/case-skinned form?. if he dries very stiff hed make a
          good rug or throw i suppose! :)

          Victoria

          --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson"
          <wodensson@y...> wrote:

          > If you're planning to simply hang the skin decoratively, you don't
          > need anything sp[ecial. I recommend case skinning, which involves
          > peeling the skin off the carcass and turning it inside out in the
          > process. Scrape it well and rub it down with salt, then roll in
          > newspaper til the next day.
          > Next, remove the salt and stretch the skin tightly on a frame, then
          > keep it in an area where it will be dry. You will want to use a fan
          > or space heater to circulate the air over it til it's thoroughly dry.
          > The skin will be stiff, so rub it back and forth over the edge of a
          > table or worktop to make it pliable, then turn it rightside out and
          > you're done.
          > If you want a supple finish, I'm not sure what products you can
          > use. I've been told by one individual that he's had some success with
          > Neatsfoot oil, whis is sold on the US market as a leather preserver,
          > but I've never tried it myself.
          >
          > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
          > <baphomiss@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > very quiet in here!
          > > ok. heres one for all you experts.
          > > ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time he goes
          > > out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with face,
          > > legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what to use
          > > to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop and buy
          > > bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
          > > theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
          > > chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find unless you
          > > happen to be a university chemistry professor!
          > > so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
          > > using everyday easy to find substances?
          > > Baphomiss

        • joshua carlisle
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
            for case skinning just stretch it down over the board and i use thumbtacks to hold it in place when i do that. if you don't want hime stiff you probally need to freeze it until you can get some chemicals to tan it with but i can make some reccommendations on what to use when you get access to supplies just let me know when you need it. I hope to hear from you soon. Joshua

            Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@...> wrote: id like to have a go at stuffing him using a homemade form so id

            <wodensson@y...> wrote:

            > If you're planning to simply hang the skin decoratively, you don't
            > need anything sp[ecial. I recommend case skinning, which involves
            > peeling the skin off the carcass and turning it inside out in the
            > process. Scrape it well and rub it down with salt, then roll in
            > newspaper til the next day.
            > Next, remove the salt and stretch the skin tightly on a frame, then
            > keep it in an area where it will be dry. You will want to use a fan
            > or space heater to circulate the air over it til it's thoroughly dry.
            > The skin will be stiff, so rub it back and forth over the edge of a
            > table or worktop to make it pliable, then turn it rightside out and
            > you're done.
            > If you want a supple finish, I'm not sure what products you can
            > use. I've been told by one individual that he's had some success with
            > Neatsfoot oil, whis is sold on the US market as a leather preserver,
            > but I've never tried it myself.
            >
            > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
            > <baphomiss@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > very quiet in here!
            > > ok. heres one for all you experts.
            > > ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time he goes
            > > out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with face,
            > > legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what to use
            > > to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop and buy
            > > bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
            > > theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
            > > chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find unless you
            > > happen to be a university chemistry professor!
            > > so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
            > > using everyday easy to find substances?
            > > Baphomiss

            Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies and crafts

            ---------------------------------

          • Victoria Arundell
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2005
              should i freeze the whole carcass or skin it and salt and freeze the
              skin. or even just freeze it without salt?
              Baphomiss

              -- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, joshua carlisle
              <strokers_taxidermy_and_art@y...> wrote:

              > for case skinning just stretch it down over the board and i use
              thumbtacks to hold it in place when i do that. if you don't want hime
              stiff you probally need to freeze it until you can get some chemicals
              to tan it with but i can make some reccommendations on what to use
              when you get access to supplies just let me know when you need it. I
              hope to hear from you soon.
              Joshua

              > Victoria Arundell <baphomiss@y...> wrote: id like to have a go at
              stuffing him using a homemade form so id
              > prefer him not to be too stiff. how do you stretch the skin tightly if
              > its in tubular/case-skinned form?. if he dries very stiff hed make a
              > good rug or throw i suppose! :)
              >
              > Victoria
              >
              > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "wodensson"
              > <wodensson@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > If you're planning to simply hang the skin decoratively, you don't
              > > need anything sp[ecial. I recommend case skinning, which involves
              > > peeling the skin off the carcass and turning it inside out in the
              > > process. Scrape it well and rub it down with salt, then roll in
              > > newspaper til the next day.
              > > Next, remove the salt and stretch the skin tightly on a frame,
              then
              > > keep it in an area where it will be dry. You will want to use a fan
              > > or space heater to circulate the air over it til it's thoroughly dry.
              > > The skin will be stiff, so rub it back and forth over the edge
              of a
              > > table or worktop to make it pliable, then turn it rightside out and
              > > you're done.
              > > If you want a supple finish, I'm not sure what products you can
              > > use. I've been told by one individual that he's had some success
              with
              > > Neatsfoot oil, whis is sold on the US market as a leather preserver,
              > > but I've never tried it myself.
              > >
              > > --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria Arundell"
              > > <baphomiss@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > very quiet in here!
              > > > ok. heres one for all you experts.
              > > > ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time
              he goes
              > > > out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with
              face,
              > > > legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what
              to use
              > > > to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop
              and buy
              > > > bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
              > > > theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
              > > > chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find
              unless you
              > > > happen to be a university chemistry professor!
              > > > so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
              > > > using everyday easy to find substances?
              > > > Baphomiss

              > Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies
              and crafts

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

            • joshua carlisle
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 19, 2005
                either freeze it whole or skin it but if you skin it don't salt it or it won't freeze all the way with alot of salt on it i prefer to skin and freeze but it doesn't hurt to freeze it whole just wrap it up in some newspaper and garbage bags so the ears and around the eyes don't freezer burn hope to hear from you soon

> [...]

                > > > ive been promised by a friend a fox carcass from the next time
                he goes
                > > > out shooting. id love to have a go at preserving the skin (with
                face,
                > > > legs, paws and tail attached). only problem is i dont know what
                to use
                > > > to tan the hide. im in the uk so you cant go to a hunting shop
                and buy
                > > > bottled stuff like you can in the US. you cant get brains because
                > > > theyre disposed of as biohazardous waste after the BSE scare and
                > > > chemicals like alum ,borax, etc are extremely hard to find
                unless you
                > > > happen to be a university chemistry professor!
                > > > so, any ideas on what i can use? any recipes for tanning solutions
                > > > using everyday easy to find substances?
                > > > Baphomiss

                > Taxidermy Hobby and craft supply Craft hobby Hobbies

                Service.