263Re: skull cleaning

  • Victoria Arundell
    Dec 1, 2006
      you could bury it to clean it but it stains the skull a bit. boiling
      it in a large pot over a few hours will remove flesh but antlered
      skulls could be tricky. i left a sheep skull outside until it was well
      rotted-down. hosed it then soaked it in petrol for a fortnight to
      degrease it. much cheaper than taxidermy supplies degreaseants and
      just as effective. then a few days soaking in a mild bleach solution
      left it white. it took the shiny finish off the skull though and left
      it matt-looking. peroxide might be better and you can get big bottles
      of it cheap from chemists.

      Victoria

      --- In roadkillandtaxidermy@yahoogroups.com, "pgauthier70339"
      <pgauthier70339@...> wrote:

      > Hi I'm a new member and I would like some tips on skull cleaning. I am
      > a deer hunter and I like the european style skullmount. I have tried
      > the the kits from the taxdermy suppliers but they seem expensive. Is
      > there something thath I can use that is available at the grocery or
      > hardware store?

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic