Jing and Trang now on Google Code

  • James Clark
    Message 1 of 50 , Oct 28, 2008
      After an extremely long hiatus, I am back to working on Jing and
      Trang. I've moved development over to Google Code:

      http://jing-trang.googlecode.com

      There is a new release available there.

      So far most of my work has been on cleaning up the code structure and
      build process, updating dependencies, and getting everything to work
      correctly with the most recent version of Java. There are a few bug
      fixes, but otherwise no major user-visible changes.

      However, I've now got to the point where I can start adding new
      functionality. It would be helpful to have some feedback on what
      would be most useful to people. If they're specific detailed things,
      then please file an issue on the Google Code site; if there's already
      an open issue, you can star it to indicate your interest. If they're
      more general things, then we can discuss them here.

      One thing that I definitely plan to do very soon is to update the NRL
      implementation to support NVDL. Fortunately, George Bina has already
      done this in oNVDL, and I will be working with him to merge this into
      Jing.

      Another potential area for improvement is the quality of error
      messages that Jing gives when doing RELAX NG validation. They're
      pretty bad at the moment, and it's definitely possible to do
      significantly better with a bit of effort.

      James
    • John Cowan
      Message 50 of 50 , Nov 3, 2008
        James Clark scripsit:

        > Why? None of the other xml:* attributes are allowed in RELAX NG unless
        > your schema explicitly permits them. In fact nothing is ever allowed
        > in RELAX NG unless you explicitly permit it. I would hate to break
        > that principle, especially since there's no way to forbid something
        > that was automagically permitted. You can always use NVDL to fix up an
        > existing schema to allow xml:id everywhere.

        Fair enough.

        But I do wish there was a way to define global attributes (that is,
        ones that can appear on any element) without having to add them to all
        elements explicitly. If they have namespaces, NVDL works, but if not,
        then not.

        --
        Where the wombat has walked, John Cowan <cowan@...>
        it will inevitably walk again. http://www.ccil.org/~cowan