RelaxNG accelerators?

  • Stephane Bortzmeyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
      There is now apparently a market for W3C Schemas hardware validators
      (http://www.datapower.com/products/xa35.html or
      http://www.sarvega.com/xml-processing.html), appliances which can
      perform XSD validation very fast. Anything like this for RelaxNG?
    • David Tolpin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
        On éðå 4, 2006, at 17:45, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

        > There is now apparently a market for W3C Schemas hardware validators
        > (http://www.datapower.com/products/xa35.html or
        > http://www.sarvega.com/xml-processing.html), appliances which can
        > perform XSD validation very fast. Anything like this for RelaxNG?

        Is there a hardware accelerator that validates with W3C Schema faster
        than RNV on similar hardware with corresponding Relax NG schema?

        David
      • Stephane Bortzmeyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
          On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:59:39PM +0400,
          David Tolpin <dvd@...> wrote
          a message of 31 lines which said:

          > Is there a hardware accelerator that validates with W3C Schema
          > faster than RNV on similar hardware with corresponding Relax NG
          > schema?

          I do not know, I didn't test and, anyway, the benchmark will be
          difficult to design: you would have to make "comparable" schemas which
          would be quite difficult.

          If you plan to do so, see http://www.itslabs.com/tests/its04003.jhtml
          and http://i.cmpnet.com/itslabs/images/report-download.gif for an
          example. The schema they used for the tests is described at the end.
        • David Tolpin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
            > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:59:39PM +0400,
            > David Tolpin <dvd@...> wrote
            > a message of 31 lines which said:
            >
            >> Is there a hardware accelerator that validates with W3C Schema
            >> faster than RNV on similar hardware with corresponding Relax NG
            >> schema?
            >
            > I do not know, I didn't test and, anyway, the benchmark will be
            > difficult to design: you would have to make "comparable" schemas which
            > would be quite difficult.

            How are you going to assess the feasibility of hardware accelerators
            for RelaxNG then?

            David
          • Stephane Bortzmeyer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
              On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:22:58PM +0400,
              David Tolpin <dvd@...> wrote
              a message of 33 lines which said:

              > How are you going to assess the feasibility of hardware accelerators
              > for RelaxNG then?

              I did not want to perform a scientific survey, I just wanted
              ammunition to shoot at PHBs :-)

              More seriously, I said that comparing a XSD validation system and a
              RelaxNG validation system for speed will be difficult (because we
              should test with "comparable" schemas, which is not easy to
              define).

              But comparing a hardware RelaxNG accelerator and rnv | jing | xmllint
              for speed seems possible.