new W3C list for schema discussions

  • Robin Berjon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      Hi and apologies for the cross-post,

      I thought a few people here might be interested in hearing about a new
      list availble from the W3C, the goal of which is stated as follows:

      """
      This list is for discussions between users/writers of schemata in any
      language (W3 XML Schema, RelaxNG, for example); in particular authors of
      modular and reusable schemata. Discussion of ways to combine schemata
      produced by different groups (such as NVDL), authoring best practices,
      and practical aspects such as level of support in different tools, are
      all on topic.
      """

      The archives are here (and currently empty):
      http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemata-users/

      You can subscribe as usual by adding in a -request and putting subscribe
      as your subject.

      One of the interesting goals of this list is to come up with ways to
      combine schemata, notably to address the needs of the CDF WG. It is
      hoped that some of us will gang up to produce documents relating to best
      practices in schema authoring and combination (this is quite likely to
      happen as there already have been drafts around this). The list has been
      made public because it's believed that there are quite a few people out
      there who would have valuable input but who aren't members. It's
      separate from the xmlschema-dev list in that it is not limited to XML
      Schema.

      It's also definitely not intended as a "my schema language is better
      than yours" forum :) The idea is more along the lines of "I've got to
      write a schema for WikiML/UserInterfaceML/YouNameItML, I intend to use
      my favourite schema language because it's the one I know/like, how do I
      best write it so that others who may be using something different can
      reuse it easily?"

      Finally, since this is a by-product of discussions in the Hypertext
      Coordination Group[0] it's more orientated towards "document" languages
      (as you can guess from the list of groups that are covered there).
      That's the initial use case, but while I personally think that having a
      smaller scope at first should help us it shouldn't be seen as a limit
      and other uses are welcome.

      [0]http://www.w3.org/2002/12/HCGcharter.html

      --
      Robin Berjon