Re: [rng-users] Does jing use resolver.jar for the schema?

  • Dave Pawson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
      On 17 March 2013 09:13, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

      > I looked further into it and no, Jing doesn’t use the catalog when
      > URI in a schema that you give on the command line, as that will be
      > resolved. This even works for URIs in schemas in the compact syntax.
      >
      > Given this, does it seem appropriate to add support for resolving the
      > URI of the schema on the command line? I’ll add an issue on the issue
      > tracker, if so.

      I don't understand your motivation for catalog support?
      Jing is a command line validator, in which you specify the instance
      and the schema as
      parameters to jing? Is that not sufficient? Why add the indirection
      via a catalog,
      i.e. what does it gain you?

      regards

      --
      Dave Pawson
      XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2014
        On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:
        > On 17 March 2013 09:13, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I looked further into it and no, Jing doesn’t use the catalog when
        >> URI in a schema that you give on the command line, as that will be
        >> resolved. This even works for URIs in schemas in the compact syntax.
        >>
        >> Given this, does it seem appropriate to add support for resolving the
        >> URI of the schema on the command line? I’ll add an issue on the issue
        >> tracker, if so.
        >
        > I don't understand your motivation for catalog support?
        > Jing is a command line validator, in which you specify the instance
        > and the schema as
        > parameters to jing? Is that not sufficient? Why add the indirection
        > via a catalog,
        > i.e. what does it gain you?

        Oops, managed to miss this. Sorry for reviving this thread from the dead.

        The answer is in your question. It gains me precisely the indirection
        via a catalog that I’m looking for so that I may tell people to run

        java -jar jing.jar -C /etc/xml/catalog -c http://…/a.rnc

        instead of

        java -jar jing.jar /exact/path/to/a.rnc

        (which is harder to control).