Re: [rng-users] Does jing use resolver.jar for the schema?

  • Nikolai Weibull
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2013
      On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:
      > Nikolai Weibull scripsit:
      >
      >> I’m trying to use a catalog together with jing for resolving the
      >> location of a Relax NG compact schema, but it doesn’t seem to work.
      >> Before I go on investigating, does jing use the catalog resolver for
      >> resolving URIs to a compact Relax NG schema given on the command line?

      > I would be very surprised if it did. XML catalogs apply only to XML
      > files, and compact-syntax files are not XML.

      Perhaps, but changing a.rnc to a.rng (and removing -c) doesn’t seem to
      change anything.
    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
        On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
        > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM, John Cowan <cowan@...> wrote:
        >> Nikolai Weibull scripsit:
        >>
        >>> I’m trying to use a catalog together with jing for resolving the
        >>> location of a Relax NG compact schema, but it doesn’t seem to work.
        >>> Before I go on investigating, does jing use the catalog resolver for
        >>> resolving URIs to a compact Relax NG schema given on the command line?
        >
        >> I would be very surprised if it did. XML catalogs apply only to XML
        >> files, and compact-syntax files are not XML.
        >
        > Perhaps, but changing a.rnc to a.rng (and removing -c) doesn’t seem to
        > change anything.

        I looked further into it and no, Jing doesn’t use the catalog when
        URI in a schema that you give on the command line, as that will be
        resolved. This even works for URIs in schemas in the compact syntax.

        Given this, does it seem appropriate to add support for resolving the
        URI of the schema on the command line? I’ll add an issue on the issue
        tracker, if so.
      • Dave Pawson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 17, 2013
          On 17 March 2013 09:13, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:

          > I looked further into it and no, Jing doesn’t use the catalog when
          > URI in a schema that you give on the command line, as that will be
          > resolved. This even works for URIs in schemas in the compact syntax.
          >
          > Given this, does it seem appropriate to add support for resolving the
          > URI of the schema on the command line? I’ll add an issue on the issue
          > tracker, if so.

          I don't understand your motivation for catalog support?
          Jing is a command line validator, in which you specify the instance
          and the schema as
          parameters to jing? Is that not sufficient? Why add the indirection
          via a catalog,
          i.e. what does it gain you?

          regards

          --
          Dave Pawson
          XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2014
            On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:
            > On 17 March 2013 09:13, Nikolai Weibull <now@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I looked further into it and no, Jing doesn’t use the catalog when
            >> URI in a schema that you give on the command line, as that will be
            >> resolved. This even works for URIs in schemas in the compact syntax.
            >>
            >> Given this, does it seem appropriate to add support for resolving the
            >> URI of the schema on the command line? I’ll add an issue on the issue
            >> tracker, if so.
            >
            > I don't understand your motivation for catalog support?
            > Jing is a command line validator, in which you specify the instance
            > and the schema as
            > parameters to jing? Is that not sufficient? Why add the indirection
            > via a catalog,
            > i.e. what does it gain you?

            Oops, managed to miss this. Sorry for reviving this thread from the dead.

            The answer is in your question. It gains me precisely the indirection
            via a catalog that I’m looking for so that I may tell people to run

            java -jar jing.jar -C /etc/xml/catalog -c http://…/a.rnc

            instead of

            java -jar jing.jar /exact/path/to/a.rnc

            (which is harder to control).