signed jar for jing?

  • tara_athan
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
      I am trying to implement Jing with Java Webstart, so we can publish a web service with full access to the command line options of Jing.

      When Jing resolves uris it looks up the path on the local machine, (even if the uri is an absolute URI and doesn't need that information). This action triggers Java Webstart to require a signature - and the Jing jar is not signed.

      Before I file an issue, I thought I would ask if anyone has already re-built the jar including signature?

      Of course, ideally the person building the official jar would be the one to sign it, certifying that it doesn't contain hidden evil features.

      Thanks, Tara
    • George Cristian Bina
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
        Hi Tara,

        We signed Jing (as well as other libraries) when we included it in the
        Java Web Start distribution of oXygen and also in the sample oXygen
        Author Component Applet.

        Best Regards,
        George
        --
        George Cristian Bina
        http://www.oxygenxml.com

        On 10/1/11 4:41 AM, tara_athan wrote:
        > I am trying to implement Jing with Java Webstart, so we can publish a web service with full access to the command line options of Jing.
        >
        > When Jing resolves uris it looks up the path on the local machine, (even if the uri is an absolute URI and doesn't need that information). This action triggers Java Webstart to require a signature - and the Jing jar is not signed.
        >
        > Before I file an issue, I thought I would ask if anyone has already re-built the jar including signature?
        >
        > Of course, ideally the person building the official jar would be the one to sign it, certifying that it doesn't contain hidden evil features.
        >

        > Thanks, Tara

      • Tara Athan
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2011
          George - I checked in the Java Web Start distribution - the signed jar
          that contains jing, oxygen_lib.zip.jar, does as you say contain quite a
          few other libraries, accumulating to 53MB. This is not really going to
          meet our needs for a light-weight JAWS for Jing alone (maybe a separate
          JAWS for Trang as well). But I see that you have put your signature on a
          lot of opensource jars from other sources, so maybe it is not outside
          the realm of best practice if we do what you did - bundle the Jing jar
          into another jar and sign it ourselves.

          Tara