Jing namespace issue?

  • terrycatapano
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2010
      Another issue with Jing (version 20091111). When validating a document with elements from multiple namespaces against a W3C XML schema, if there is no prefix declared for one of the namespaces, Jing throws the following java error/exception:

      at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaLoader.resolveDocument(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.findSchemaGrammar(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handleStartElement(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
      at com.thaiopensource.validate.xerces.ValidatorImpl.startElement(ValidatorImpl.java:172)
      at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
      at com.thaiopensource.validate.ValidationDriver.validate(ValidationDriver.java:160)
      at com.thaiopensource.relaxng.util.Driver.doMain(Driver.java:154)
      at com.thaiopensource.relaxng.util.Driver.main(Driver.java:35)

      Interestingly, I do not get the same error when validating the same document from within oXygen 11.2, build 2010031611 (i.e, xerces v. 2.9.1), or using oNVDL version 20070517 (i.e, Jing version 20030619 + Xerces 2.9.0), or sun msv-20081113 with the -xerces option (Xerces-J 1.44? set. This is reproducible on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Java 1.5.0_24 and on SunOS 5.9 with Java 1.6.0_18.

      Should this be reported as a bug? Is it something to be expected by standalone command line Jing?

      Thanks,

      Terry
    • Dave Pawson
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2010
        On 26 May 2010 20:51, terrycatapano <thc4ster@...> wrote:
        > Another issue with Jing (version 20091111). When validating a document with elements from multiple namespaces against a W3C XML schema,

        AFAIK Jing validates against a relaxNG schema, not W3C XML schema

        Convert it using msv?

        regards

        --
        Dave Pawson
        XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2010
          I'm pretty sure Jing will validate against XSD. The Jing page at
          http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html says:

          Jing also has experimental support for schema languages other than
          RELAX NG; specifically

          * W3C XML Schema (based on Xerces2-J)...

          I guess I'm trying to find out just how experimental it is

          Thanks,

          Terry

          On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

          > On 26 May 2010 20:51, terrycatapano <thc4ster@...> wrote:
          > > Another issue with Jing (version 20091111). When validating a document with elements from multiple namespaces against a W3C XML schema,
          >
          > AFAIK Jing validates against  a relaxNG schema, not W3C XML schema
          >
          > Convert it using msv?
          >
          > regards
          >

          > --
          > Dave Pawson
          > XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
          > Docbook FAQ.
          > http://www.dpawson.co.uk

        • Dave Pawson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 27, 2010
            On 26 May 2010 21:44, Terry Catapano <thc4ster@...> wrote:
            > I'm pretty sure Jing will validate against XSD. The Jing page at
            > http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html says:
            >
            > Jing also has experimental support for schema languages other than
            > RELAX NG; specifically
            >
            > * W3C XML Schema (based on Xerces2-J)...
            >
            > I guess I'm trying to find out just how experimental it is

            My apologies Terry.
            I've never heard of it used in that sense, since relaxng and xml schema
            are 'competing' standards.

            First time I've heard it mentioned on this list.

            regards

            --
            Dave Pawson
            XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 27, 2010
              Hi Dave,

              Jing includes this support for NVDL (and previously for NRL) that can
              refer to XML Schemas. It is not that Jing is an XML Schema processor, it
              just delegates to Xerces for validation.

              Best Regards,
              George
              --
              George Cristian Bina
              http://www.oxygenxml.com

              On 5/27/10 10:26 AM, Dave Pawson wrote:
              > On 26 May 2010 21:44, Terry Catapano<thc4ster@...> wrote:
              >> I'm pretty sure Jing will validate against XSD. The Jing page at
              >> http://www.thaiopensource.com/relaxng/jing.html says:
              >>
              >> Jing also has experimental support for schema languages other than
              >> RELAX NG; specifically
              >>
              >> * W3C XML Schema (based on Xerces2-J)...
              >>
              >> I guess I'm trying to find out just how experimental it is
              >
              > My apologies Terry.
              > I've never heard of it used in that sense, since relaxng and xml schema
              > are 'competing' standards.
              >
              > First time I've heard it mentioned on this list.
              >

              > regards

            • George Cristian Bina
              Message 6 of 7 , May 27, 2010
                Hi Terry,

                Yes, please report this issue and include also a sample that we can use
                to reproduce the problem:
                http://code.google.com/p/jing-trang/issues/list

                Best Regards,
                George
                --
                George Cristian Bina
                http://www.oxygenxml.com

                On 5/26/10 10:51 PM, terrycatapano wrote:
                > Another issue with Jing (version 20091111). When validating a document with elements from multiple namespaces against a W3C XML schema, if there is no prefix declared for one of the namespaces, Jing throws the following java error/exception:

                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaLoader.resolveDocument(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.findSchemaGrammar(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.handleStartElement(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
                > at com.thaiopensource.validate.xerces.ValidatorImpl.startElement(ValidatorImpl.java:172)
                > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
                > at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
                > at com.thaiopensource.validate.ValidationDriver.validate(ValidationDriver.java:160)
                > at com.thaiopensource.relaxng.util.Driver.doMain(Driver.java:154)
                > at com.thaiopensource.relaxng.util.Driver.main(Driver.java:35)
                >
                > Interestingly, I do not get the same error when validating the same document from within oXygen 11.2, build 2010031611 (i.e, xerces v. 2.9.1), or using oNVDL version 20070517 (i.e, Jing version 20030619 + Xerces 2.9.0), or sun msv-20081113 with the -xerces option (Xerces-J 1.44? set. This is reproducible on Mac OS X 10.5.8 with Java 1.5.0_24 and on SunOS 5.9 with Java 1.6.0_18.
                >
                > Should this be reported as a bug? Is it something to be expected by standalone command line Jing?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Terry

              • George Cristian Bina
                Message 7 of 7 , May 31, 2010