online maps with drawings

  • Todd Bradley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2008
      Hi, I'm looking for something that may be science fiction, but if someone
      knows of software that'll do this, I'd love to hear about it.

      My wife and I are interested in moving to a different part of the Denver
      metro area, but we don't know which part yet. I'm pretty familiar with many
      of the Denver area neighborhoods, but not all of them and not to a really
      indepth degree, despite living here for most of the past 27 years. I've
      made a list of things that are essentially criteria for narrowing down
      places to live. It's things like "must be within 3 miles of a grocery
      store" and "must be within 1 mile of a bike path" and other stuff like that.

      What I'm imagining is software based on something like Google Maps, where I
      can draw shapes on top of the map. For instance, I'd want to draw circles
      to show a 3 mile radius around the grocery stores in town, and then 1 mile
      rectangles around bike paths. Then, I figure, I could visually see which
      parts of the map are included in the most overlapping circles, and that
      would narrow down the places to look for housing.

      Have I been watching too many movies, or does something like this already
      exist? And if nothing exists to do exactly what I want, do you have any
      great ideas for how to do an exercise like this short of buying a big map
      and some colored pencils and freehanding it all on the living room floor?

      Cheers,
      Todd.

    • Bob Bandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2008
        Todd,
        Our website has a map search feature based on Google maps for finding homes,
        but it does not allow the points of interest search you are describing. It
        does allow you to put in price range, # of bedrooms and baths, etc. You can
        zoom in or out of an area, then hit search to see all the listings in that
        area. We also have some Denver neighborhoods set up on a pre-filled search,
        under the Denver section.

        I am not aware of any real estate map searches that do what you are wanting
        with the circles and rectangles, but it sounds pretty cool. Feel free to
        check out our map search feature at www.BandyHomes.com, and let me know if
        we can help you identify areas or search for homes.

        Thanks,

        Bob Bandy
        The Bandy Home Team
        303-693-0730 office
        <http://www.bandyhomes.com/> www.BandyHomes.com

        Use our website to search all Denver area homes for sale.
        Get a market analysis of your home's value.

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 8, 2008
          Hi Todd:

          What you want is some sort of mashup using the Google Maps API? There
          is a blog dedicated to mashups. I was flipping through the list (on
          the right of this site) and saw some big box retail tracking, etc. I
          did not see supermarkets or bike trails though.
          http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/

          I do know there are tools to perform what you want, but from what I
          understand they are for people looking to buy store locations and
          place business based on crime stats and other key indicators. I can't
          recall the name of the toolset. I think it is similar to the
          functionality that you will find Applebee's within proximity to
          McDonald's, etc.

          Maybe it was Krunching?
          http://mashable.com/2008/05/06/krunching/

          Maybe it was ZoomProspector?
          http://mashable.com/2008/04/23/zoomprospector/

          If you think you found a great business case for a startup you may
          want to look into MapBuilder which allows you to place items on a map
          - or you can build the mashup you want from data sources. This sounds
          like a lot of work though.
          http://www.mapbuilder.net/realestate/index.php

          I recently moved to Denver from Kansas City, and used the heck out of
          the following tools:

          There are a few "Web 2.0" sites around real estate.

          Hoodeo may be what you want. They are a new site that tries to match
          people with neighborhoods - the step before you actually get down to
          trying to buy that home. I found it kind of hokey, but maybe worth the
          5 minutes to fill in and see results.

          Dothomes may be interesting as you can search listings by keyword. I
          typed in bike trails and a few listings popped out. I think this is
          hokey but you never know.

          Zillow will give you "zestimates" which will give an approximate worth
          of a home. They also show the selling price history which gives you a
          leg up on negotiating with fix and flip situations. Trulia does
          searches relatively well. Redfin has a great business model, putting
          it here for posterity as they do not service Denver.

          Zillow
          http://www.zillow.com/

          Trulia
          http://www.trulia.com/

          Redfin
          http://www.redfin.com/

          Hoodeo
          http://www.hoodeo.com/

          Dothomes
          http://www.dothomes.com/

          School Accountability Report
          This gave scores of schools.
          http://reportcard.cde.state.co.us/reportcard/CommandHandler.jsp

          Nostalgic Homes
          This site just gave us the ability to filter by the age of the home
          (we wanted an older home), and we could remove schools with poor
          scores. Like other sites you can remove square feet and asking price.
          It is MLS based. I'm sure there are others.
          http://www.nostalgichomes.com/MLS.php

          When it came time to look at the home that made it through the
          Nostalgic Filter we used two sites. If one had a panoramic walk
          through the other sometimes had different photos or information.

          http://coloradolistings.idxre.com/idx/search.cfm?ll=1&cid=2723

          http://www.coloradohomes.com/CustomModules/Property/PropertySearch.aspx

          There are a lot of real estate engines for Denver out there, so find
          the ones you like.

          Here's a recent blog entry on tools as well
          http://mashable.com/2008/06/18/selling-your-house-online/

          Good luck!

          Michael
        • michanne5
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 20, 2008
            http://www.schmap.com/

            You can't draw on it but the offline version lets you add your own
            points of interest and photos - then publish.