REMINDER: Tues, November 8 RMIUG mtg – Podcasting: The Future of Broadcasting?

  • Joshua D. Zapin, PMP
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Just a quick reminder about next Tuesday's meeting.

      We look forward to seeing you.

      JZ

      The Tuesday, November 8th meeting of the Rocky
      Mountain Internet Users Group (RMIUG) will discuss "
      Podcasting: The Future of Broadcasting?"

      Podcasting, the method of publishing audio and video
      programs via a feed on the Internet, is exploding.

      Not convinced? Well, consider the following:
      * Researchers at Forrester predicted that the US
      podcast audience will climb to 12.3 million households
      by 2010.
      * The popular Apple iTunes store recently added 3,000
      podcasts for its millions of users to easily subscribe

      * What started out as a request from, amongst others,
      former MTV VJ Adam Curry (http://live.curry.com/), to
      Dave Winer, RSS (Really Simple Syndication)
      evangelist, for a way to deliver video and audio in
      their RSS feeds in 2003, has spawned major media
      companies including ABC, NBC, NPR, ESPN to begin
      offering their own podcast programming in recent
      months.
      * Even the venture capitalists are starting to get
      involved: rumor has it that Kleiner Perkins Sequoia (a
      large firm base in Silicon Valley) has funded Adam
      Curry's Podshow to the tune (no pun intended) of $8.5
      million.

      Convinced now?

      To explore this topic, RMIUG will bring in several
      speakers:

      Gil Asakawa (GKAsakawa@...) is the
      Executive Producer for the DenverPost.com, the website
      of The Denver Post, one of Colorado's largest
      newspapers. Gil is a writer, editor, and online
      content consultant with over 20 years of experience
      working for new media companies such as Digital City
      Denver (a new media subsidiary of America Online),
      Trip.com, and ServiceMagic. In 2003, he became the
      Executive Producer for the DenverPost.com which
      started providing daily podcasts this past May. Gil
      will talk about his experience launching the Denver
      Post's podcasts, the reception by its audience, and
      its affect on a traditional print company.

      Neal McBurnett (http://mcburnett.org/neal/) chairs the
      Information Technology team at KGNU (independent
      noncommerecial community radio for Boulder, Denver and
      beyond). Neal has been involved with virtual
      communities since he got hooked on Usenet at Berkeley
      in 1979. He was a Distinguished Member of Technical
      Staff at Bell Labs until 2001, and currently consults
      with Internet2. He co-founded the Boulder Community
      Network in 1993. Neal will talk about KGNU's effort
      to expand its podcasting. He will also address
      podcasting standards and support in free Content
      Management Systems, and share some dreams and
      questions about collaborative markup of audio content.

      Joe Pezzillo (jpezzillo@...) Joe has been
      working at the vanguard of media convergence for
      nearly twenty years. He started doing radio at KGNU-fm
      in Boulder, Colorado in 1987 and worked in broadcast
      television and digital publishing for several years
      prior to serving as creative director on the team at
      Apple Computer's Electronic Media Lab in the mid 90s.
      Joe founded one of the first internet-only radio
      stations (GoGaGa.com) in 1996, grew the station's
      audience to national prominence, patented the
      company's pioneering streaming management and
      personalization technology, and then passed the reins
      to leading radio and internet investors three years
      later. Joe will talk about his most recent work
      producing a bi-weekly segment on citizen journalism
      and remix culture for KGNU and being a podcast
      personality.

      Links:
      Wikipedia on Podcasting:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcasting
      Denver Post Podcasts: http://www.DenverPost.com
      KGNU Podcasts: http://www.kgnu.org/ht/listencomp.html
      Joe Pezzillo "On the Internets" podcast:
      http://www.kgnu.org/front

      The meeting is Tuesday, November 8th from 7:00 - 9:00
      pm (with optional 6:30 pm start for refreshments and
      informal networking). The meeting will be held at The
      National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) at
      1850 Table Mesa Drive in Boulder. To get to NCAR from
      the Boulder Turnpike (US 36) or Broadway (US 93), take
      Table Mesa Drive west towards the mountains for
      approximately 2.5 miles into the foothills. NCAR is at
      the top of the hill. For door-to-door driving
      directions, go to MapQuest (http://www.mapquest.com/),
      click on Driving Directions, enter your starting
      address, NCAR's address, and voila! Park in the NCAR
      lot, go in the main door, and ask the guard to point
      you to meeting, which is held in the main auditorium,
      right off the lobby. The meeting is free and open to
      the public, but we may pass the hat to help defray
      expenses.

      Our meeting location seats about 120 people. That is
      usually enough room to accommodate all attendees, but
      it's impossible for us to predict how many people will
      show up for any given meeting. Seating is always on a
      first-come, first serve basis, and in the event of
      more attendees than seats, we won't be able to admit
      additional people into the auditorium after all seats
      are filled.

      Thanks to our three sponsors who help make RMIUG
      meetings happen:
      MicroStaff (www.microstaff.com) which provides
      Creative and Technical talent for Web, Interactive
      Media, Marketing Communications and Software
      Development projects, is the sponsor of food and
      beverages for RMIUG meetings.
      ONEWARE (http://www.ONEWARE.com) -- a Colorado-based
      software company that provides semi-custom web-based
      applications, sponsors the RMIUG meeting minutes.
      Copy Diva (http://www.copydiva.com) which provides
      marketing project management, marketing communications
      consulting, and web content development is the AV
      sponsor for RMIUG.

      Consultants and companies are invited to bring
      Internet-related Product information, brochures, and
      business cards which will be displayed on an
      information table.

      There are email mailing lists set up for this group.
      To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
      http://www.rmiug.org/maillist.html. You can also reach
      the RMIUG "Executive" Committee at
      rmiug-comm@.... Our web site is at
      http://www.rmiug.org/

      *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
      Please note that RMIUG is hosted at NCAR and we are
      their guests. NCAR has security regulations in effect
      that we must follow in order to use the facility. If
      any RMIUG attendee is unwilling to follow these simple
      regulations, I would ask that he or she not attend and
      instead read the minutes after the meeting.

      Here are the NCAR security policies that must be
      followed:

      1. No weapons.
      2. Must sign in at front desk and provide name.
      3. Cooperate with security folks including providing
      ID if requested.
      4. We are guests of NCAR so cooperation and courtesy
      are expected when dealing with NCAR staff.

      If there are any questions or concerns with this
      policy, please contact me directly.
      Thanks, Josh Zapin (josh@...).