Kelo conference at Palm Beach Hilton Feb. 25

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2006
      Subject: You're Invited! Castle Coalition's Florida Eminent Domain
      Conference

      Friends,

      It is with great pleasure that I extend to you a formal invitation
      to attend the Castle Coalition's Florida Eminent Domain Conference.
      These regional conferences are a main component of the Hands Off My
      Home campaign, and the Castle Coalition will be holding them around
      the country. This conference will take place Saturday, February 25,
      from 10:00am to 4:00pm at the Palm Beach Airport Hilton in West Palm
      Beach, Florida. The purpose of this conference is to bring together
      a diverse group of eminent domain activists from around your state
      for a day of workshops and strategy sessions. Similar to our
      national conference, we will focus on how to coordinate effective
      multi-faceted approaches to defeating eminent domain abuse. This
      will also serve as an opportunity to network and build relationships
      with other activists in your region.

      The workshops will cover such topics as how to build a grassroots
      coalition, how to prepare for legal action, and how to harness the
      media to help in your grassroots fight. Included among the
      participants will be activists who are fighting current eminent
      domain projects, as well as a number of activists who bring to the
      table important lessons learned from their own successful battles
      against eminent domain abuse. Panelists from the Institute for
      Justice will also share their own wide array of expertise gained
      from almost a decade of litigating eminent domain cases, and teach
      conference participants how to take the fight beyond the courts of
      law, and directly into the court of public opinion through coalition-
      building and effective media strategies.

      As you know, on June 23, 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down
      its decision in Kelo v. City of New London, giving local governments
      nationwide a green light to condemn homes and businesses for private
      economic development. Since, we've seen a flurry of legislative
      activity at the local, state and federal levels. The Institute for
      Justice and Castle Coalition are eager to capitalize on this
      momentum-and we want you to bring your energy and insight to our
      first regional conference, so that you can utilize these tools in
      your own fight against eminent domain abuse.

      The Institute for Justice will provide you with lunch and snacks,
      along with conference materials. Participants will be responsible
      for their own travel. Please let us know by no later than
      Wednesday, February 15 if you will be able to attend by replying to
      this email with the information listed below. Spots will be
      reserved on a first come, first served basis, so please RSVP as soon
      as possible. I will respond to your RSVP with further details about
      the conference. If you have any questions or would like further
      information, please do not hesitate to contact me at 703-682-9320 or
      by email at cwalsh@....

      We look forward to seeing you in Florida!

      Best,

      Christina Walsh
      Assistant Castle Coalition Coordinator
      Institute for Justice
      cwalsh@...

      +++++

      If you would like to attend, please provide us with the following
      information:

      Name
      Address
      Phone
      Briefly explain your interest in attending this conference.
      Are you or have you ever been threatened by eminent domain abuse?
      Please explain briefly.
    • franiii@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        I'll be there

        Frank Bubb
      • Philip Blumel
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
          I just RSVP's also. I will be wearing an RLC lapel sticker ( see
          http://www.rlcfl.org/rlcfl_button.pdf ) and will have some extras if
          you want to help fly the RLC flag while we're there.

          -- Philip Blumel

          --- In rlcpb@yahoogroups.com, franiii@... wrote:

          > I'll be there
          >
          > Frank Bubb

        • acihouse
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2006
            I will try and attend since I will already be at the Hilton for a
            literacy event.

            Carmen L. Kunze