CAFTA and vitamins -- internet hoax!

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2005
      At the LP of Palm Beach County meeting on Monday night (where I spoke
      about advancing libertarian policy ideas through the GOP), we
      heard a short presentation from local conservative activist Dean
      Taffel, who challenged the national Libertarian Party's (and national
      RLC's) support for CAFTA.

      As part of his presentation, he suggested that CAFTA would tie the
      U.S. into CODEX standards and permit regulation of dietary
      supplements by in the U.S. by foreign bodies. However, this is not
      true.

      After the meeting, I called the Competitive Enterprise Institute in
      Washington to ask about this issue. CEI, by the way, is a respectable
      libertarian think tank that employs analysts with background in law
      and economics and other relevant disciplines and has read and
      analyzed CAFTA from our point of view.

      Regarding CODEX, he said that the CODEX language is standard in free
      trade agreements, as FTAs use CODEX as an international standard
      relating to food safety and hygene. For example, The WTO defers to
      the Codex in disputes between members regarding sanitary and
      phytosanitary standards to ensure that when a country refuses exports
      from another country for health and safety reasons, that the refusal
      is based on sound science and not protectionism (non-tariff trade
      barrier). Under the Codex standards, the BSE milk issue brought up by
      the EU was decided in the US's favor, for example.

      In other words, the CODEX language is an attempt to create agreed-
      upon standards so that cheating (trying to set up new non-tariff
      trade barriers) can be identified in some objective manner. This has
      nothing to do with a conspiracy to regulate dietary supplements or
      vitamins. No such authority is or can be granted by CAFTA.

      For more on CAFTA from CEI, see: http://www.cei.org/pdf/4561.pdf

      -- Philip Blumel