Congress & FDA threaten our vitamins

  • franiii@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      Legislation has been introduced in Congress that would increase FDA regulation of vitamin and mineral supplements.  This legislation would adversely affect both our freedom and our health.  If you are concerned about this, I urge you to write your Senators and Congressman.  A couple easy ways to do this online are mentioned below.  I also urge you to forward this email to other who might be interested.  Here are a couple of websites that have more information:  www.dshea.org and www.saveoursupplements.org.

      Senator Richard Durbin of Illinois has introduced (and Senators Hillary Clinton and John McCain are co-sponsoring) Senate Bill 722, The Dietary Supplement Safety Act.  A similar, but slightly less stringent, bill has been introduced in the House by Reps Henry Waxman (D-Calif), Susan Davis (D-Calif) and John Dingell (D-Mich) (H.R. 3377, the Dietary Supplement Access and Awareness Act).  These two bills would subject most vitamin and mineral supplements to FDA regulation that would be at least as strict as its regulation of prescription drugs, and would allow the FDA to remove a vitamin or mineral product from the market based on as little as one consumer complaint.  It has been reported that these bills are supported by the pharmaceutical industry - for the obvious purpose of squelching competition.

      I find it ironic that the massive Medicare prescription drug benefit was enacted on the basis that allowing the government to pay for drugs for the elderly would make them healthier, thus reducing the cost of Medicare hospitalization, but now many of the very same legislators and interest groups who backed that program are now seeking to make it harder for Americans to go to a store and buy vitamin and mineral supplements with their own money to improve their own health.  This is part and parcel of the paternalistic mentality that assumes people are not smart enough to live their own lives, but that government officials are smart enough to run everyone else's life.

      Approximately 70% of Americans use vitamin and mineral supplements, and these supplements are far safer than many prescription drugs (see www.dshea.org ), so these bills have the potential to seriously impact the health and freedom of large numbers of Americans.

      I hope you can take a few minutes and email your Senators and Congressman.  While there are several ways to do this, one that I have found easy is to go onto Congress' website, www.Congress.org.  At the top of the page is an invitation to "Write Elected Officials."  Just type in your zip code and the names of your Senators and Congressman will appear with a place to click to write them an email (you may need to provide the 4-digit extension to get your Congressman's name to show up).  Another way to write is to go to www.saveoursupplements.org and follow the prompts.

      Thanks!

      Frank