Re: Please write Congress for CAFTA

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 3 , May 20, 2005
      Great letter. I will be sending on to my Congressmen as well and
      encourage everyone on this list to do so. Here is a sample letter
      from the World Trade Center Miami:

      http://www.worldtrade.org/PDF/DR-CAFTA_Sample_Letter.pdf

      -- Philip Blumel

      --- In rlcpb@yahoogroups.com, franiii@a... wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      >
      > I urge you to write Senators Martinez and Nelson, as well as
      Congressmen in
      > your area, in support of the Central American Free Trade Agreement,
      or CAFTA.
      > As you may have read in the news, President Bush is lobbying hard
      for this
      > legislation, and is being opposed by the usual suspects - liberal
      Democrats
      > like Bob Wexler and the U.S. sugar industry. As the Wall Street
      Journal noted
      > in its lead editorial on May 13, the U.S. sugar program "may be
      the most
      > destructive policy in Washington." It involves a massive subsidy
      to U.S. sugar
      > producers in the form of price supports at 23 cents per pound -
      compared to
      > the world price of 5 to 9 cents. This editorial
      continues: "What's
      > astonishing about all this is how much damage is being done to so
      many for the benefit
      > of so few ... [citing specifically Florida's Fanjul family, which
      made
      > $573,700 in political contributions in the 2004 election cycle].
      >
      > According to the May 13 Sun-Sentinel, both Florida Senators remail
      undecided
      > on CAFTA, as are Rep. Foley (who is reported to be negotiating
      with the
      > White House on behalf of "the sugar industry" [i.e., the Fanjuls]),
      and Schultz
      > (D-Weston). Shaw supports CAFTA, and the Democrats other than
      Shultz oppose
      > it.
      >
      > In my view, we need to take the moral high ground in this
      argument. CAFTA
      > would help the people of Central America, not by giving them
      welfare and thus
      > treating them as subservient, but by removing barriers that
      prevent them from
      > becoming productive individuals, trading value for value as
      independent
      > equals. The existing barriers are there to protect wealthy
      special interests
      > which buy the use of government force to do what they could never
      do on their
      > own - prevent others from dealing with each other on mutually
      acceptable terms.

      > Another argument - less appealing to me but possibly of some appeal
      to our
      > Congress-persons - is that CAFTA would reduce illegal immigration
      from Central
      > America into the U.S. (often to work for the very same sugar
      companies whose
      > lobbying keeps them from working in their home country sugar
      industries!).

      > Now is the time to stand up for freedom. Please write your
      Senators and
      > Congressmen.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Frank Bubb
    • Philip Blumel
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 13, 2005
        Hi Frank, I don't know if you saw this, but the national RLC endorsed
        CAFTA. Here's the story: www.rlcfl.org.