Re: [rlcpb] Register 'R' for Ron Paul

  • TW
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2007
      Hi Frank,

      I know your opinions to be sage and well-reasoned. There is no doubt that a Giuliani presidency would be better for the United States than a re-run of the Clinton gang.

      My reason for advocating Ron Paul's bid has little to do whether he will win or not. I've never viewed voting as trying to guess the winner, in primaries or in general elections. Ron Paul has been a longtime fighter for limited government across the board and is able to articulate a pro-liberty position very well. Giuliani is not. Even if he is much more of a longshot, his presence in the race and in the debates will move the discussion on issues in that direction. I see many more benefits to supporting Ron Paul at present than Giuliani - at least until the day after the primaries.

      Like you, I'm also against outlawing abortions, but it doesn't deter my support of Ron Paul, as it isn't an issue which he is running on. I'm fairly certain he is for leaving the matter to the States, which is a more pro-liberty position than most conservatives.

      Rudy has many positives as well as negatives. My own perception of his negatives prevents me from supporting him. While his record as Mayor is laudable, my sense that his cleanup of New York owes to pragmatism rather than principle, and I don't feel he has a solid commitment to civil liberties.

      It will be interesting to discuss these as the race unfolds.

      Best Regards,

      Tom

      franiii@... wrote:
      Phil,

      I'm switching from NPA to Republican, but doing so to vote for Rudy Giuliani.  He cleaned up New York City based on the policy recommendations of the libertarian Manhattan Institute, and I think he would probably have the same inclinations at a national level.  We desperately need a candidate who can beat Hitlery, and I think Rudy could do it.  Ron Paul has no realistic chance of winning, and although he's a libertarian on most issues, he's against abortion rights, while Rudy is pro-choice. Finally, the only other realistic Republican candidates are McCain, who is an authoritarian (see the latest issue of Reason Magazine) and Romney, who is sucking up to the religious right.

      Frank Bubb

      Looking for earth-friendly autos?