Recap of tax reform hearing at PBCC

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2007
      This recap thanks to RLCer Bill Skinner:

      +++++

      Hi Republicans: Feb. 13

      Yesterday, I attended the PROPERTY TAX REFORM
      Hearing at Palm Beach Community College.

      There were 65 speakers given 3 minutes time to say
      what they had on their minds. Eleven were realtors
      or home rental agents who could not sell houses or
      rent properties. Thirteen were snowbirds or others
      who were concerned about the inequities in property
      taxes between homesteaders and out-of-state or
      foreign nationals. Eleven mentioned spending
      limits or TABOR. Three spokesmen for marinas
      testified they are being taxed out of business. They
      advocate getting rid of the use of the "highest and
      best use" method of appraisement.

      Only ONE person said the snowbirds should sell their
      other home and move to Florida instead of asking
      homesteaders of Florida to support them. Some speakers
      were unclear about what should be done, but they let
      all know they were upset.

      One lady said she did not know who to vote for
      because she did not know who would be in jail.

      Elected officials did not get a chance to speak
      and were invited to call the legislators. Time ran
      out on use of the Duncan theatre for the meeting
      at 12:15 PM.

      TABOR stands for TAxpayor Bill Of Rights.
      The movement started in Colorado where the
      most comprehensive plan was adopted many
      years ago. It is a series of constitutional amendments
      to limit spending to population and inflation growth
      except when the people vote to spend more by a
      super majjority. In Colorado this has allowed
      refunds to the taxpayers in most years since adoption
      of the new system.

      Many people said it is almost too late to do anything,
      but asked that tax breaks be retroactive to 2004.

      The legislators had 14 enlarged charts showing
      various aspects of the situation we are in, for example:

      Population is up 12% from 2001 to 2006

      Total Florida Property Taxes are up 86% in the same
      period of time.

      Palm Beach County Property Taxes are up 81% in
      the same period.

      Palm Beach School Property Taxes are up 74% in
      the same period.

      Municipal Property Taxes are up 103% in the same period.

      Florida Personal Income is up only 37% in the same
      period.

      Some small counties would lose large amounts of property
      tax if the homestead exemption is doubled.

      There are other assorted facts available. If you are interested
      in reforming Florida Property Taxes, be assured
      that it looks as though something could be done this year.

      So become informed and contact the legislature.

      Most of this information was NOT in The Palm Beach Post
      this morning.

      The Public Hearings end February 23. Get your TWO CENTS
      WORTH of ideas worked out and get them off to Tallahassee
      or other offices ASAP.

      See attached for background.

      William J. "Bill" Skinner
      Vice President, Republican Club
      of Central Palm Beach County
      561-433-1170
      Lake Worth, Florida
      BillSkinnerLW@...
    • TW
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2007
        Let's not forget the fees and fines local governments are imposing on citizens (I am an ongoing victim of the latter) to also enhance their revenue.

        I may have mentioned this before, but a little old lady up the street in lake Worth had $300,000 in fines on her house (more than twice the market value of her home). This is outrageous.

        Tom

        BillSkinnerLW@ aol.com

        The fish are biting.

      • David B.
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2007
          I think the crux of the problem is that nearly every line item on the
          property tax bill is "ad valorem." Aside from perhaps a few things like
          police and fire, the amount that it costs the government to provide a given
          service to you is not related to the value of your property. One could even
          argue that those living in homes in the bottom 20% of assessed value place
          greater demand on the government than those living in homes in the top 20%.
          I would rather see a fixed cost per residence or per square foot. This way,
          the taxes don't go up when the value of your property goes up.

          David