TONIGHT: Carlos Ball on U.S./Latin American relations

  • Philip Blumel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2006
      Carlos Ball, an adjunct scholar at the libertarian Cato Institute,
      will be speaking at 6 p.m. tonight Oct. 4 to the Central Palm Beach
      County Republican club, which meets at the Atlantis Country Club,
      190 Atlantis Blvd. The public is invited.

      Ball, a Venezuelan, runs Agencia Interamericana de Prensa Económica
      (AIPE), a wire service in Florida that distributes libertarian op-
      eds to major newspapers in Latin America. His opinion pieces have
      appeared throughout Latin America as well as in U.S. publications,
      including The Wall Street Journal.

      The title of his talk is "U.S. and Latin America: Unneighborly
      relations."

      $12 at the door includes a drink from the bar and hors d'oeuvres.
      After a social period the meeting begins at 6:30 PM.

      Directions: Exit off of I-95 is Lantana Road. Go west to Congress
      Ave and turn north (right). Immediately get in the left land and
      turn into Atlantis at the light -- that is the main entrance to the
      city. Go past the guard house to the STOP sign and turn right onto
      Atlantis Drive. The restaurant is on your left just after going
      around a curve. There is also an entrance off of Military Trail.
      Call if you need help: George Blumel, Program Chair: 543-4971
    • Philip Blumel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2006
        Friends,

        The meeting last night was great. Karl Dickey (RLC-endorsed
        candidate for State Senate District 30) made a short presentation
        about his campaign prior to Carlos' talk.

        Then Carlos talked about how U.S. policy hurts our interests in
        Latin America and pointed to five policy prescriptions to improve
        relations and to encourage the pro-liberty elements in Latin America:

        1) Expand free trade and investment with the Americas
        2) Expand legal immigration
        3) Ease travel restrictions between U.S. and Latin America
        4) Stop U.S. foreign aid to latin American governments
        5) Stop U.S. intervention in latin America in the name of the Drug
        War

        -- Philip Blumel, www.rlcfl.org