Libertarian Candidate Say "NO" To Broward "Penny" Tax

  • Karl Dickey
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2006
      BOCA RATON, FLORIDA, July 31, 2006 – This November Broward voters will
      be given the power to determine their financial future. On the ballot
      will be a proposal to increase Broward's sales tax by nearly 17% to
      pay for additional mass transit for Broward County.
      Karl Dickey, Libertarian candidate for State Senate in District 30
      said today, "The government wants to suck another $260+ million each
      year from the residents and tourists in Broward County to fund a
      project that has proven to be lackluster at best. If it is such a
      great project, perhaps we should find private companies to come in to
      run the system. We need to move from a system where everyone pays to a
      system that users pay. Aren't we all paying enough in taxes? And they
      are trying to market this additional tax as something to make our
      lives better? It is being marketed as if `Won't you just throw a penny
      in the pot to help mass transit?' but the fact is it is nearly a 17%
      increase in the amount of sales tax Broward residents are paying now."
      We seem to be adding resident tax dollars to the mass transit system
      that only a small portion of county residents use. Shouldn't the
      system at this point be self-sufficient and not in need of subsidies
      by taxpayers? At the very least our county officials should look at
      competitive bidding from the private sector to improve the performance
      of its mass transit system.
      Karl Dickey added, "Light rail has been a failure and there is no
      reason suggest it won't continue to be a drain of taxpayer money for
      years to come. Government-run bus systems are rarely self-sufficient.
      We need to see either a completely private bus system or at most a
      public-private bus system partnership. Coupled with increased
      telecommuting and synchronized traffic signals, exclusive busways,
      adding HOT and FAST lanes (amongst other ideas) would prove to be
      positive steps toward less congestion and faster commutes around
      Broward County."

      www.dickey2006.org