205Wellington Town Crier on Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas)

  • Philip Blumel
    Apr 1, 2007
      A Unique Presidential Candidate
      Jules Rabin 23.MAR.07

      Every time we turn around these days there seems to be another presidential candidate crawling out of the woodwork. And after reading the small print in a national newspaper, I have turned up another one. What’s different? Congressman Ron Paul ran once before in 1988.

      Who is Ron Paul, you ask… Here’s the scoop: Paul is a medical doctor who has delivered over 4,000 babies. He was elected to represent the 14th Congressional District of Texas in 1997. This happened, please keep in mind, after the good doctor voluntarily relinquished his Congressional seat in 1984 to return to his medical practice after serving his district in the late 1970s and early 1980s. He received four-tenths of one percent of the vote in his 1988 run for president representing the Libertarian Party.

      Now a Republican, Representative Ron Paul keeps to his Libertarian ideals, and whether you like his politics or not, you have to admire the fact that his votes, during both tenures in Washington, are totally consistent with his stated public views. And check this: he never votes for legislation unless the proposed measure is expressly authorized by the Constitution.

      Here are a few of the representative’s other thoughts: rights belong to individuals, not government; property should be owned by people, not government; and a return to sound monetary policies based on commodity-backed currency, a return to the gold standard. Other ideas in this candidate’s arsenal include questioning the Congressional decision to grant President George W. Bush powers to pursue military action in Iraq, opposition to most all taxes, gun control legislation and government spending in general. He is also pro-life and pro-family.

      Since we probably won’t get too much of a chance to see the M.D. on a national stage, as a public service I’ll also tell you he and wife Carol have five children and 17 grandchildren. In the words of former treasury secretary William Simon, “Dr. Paul is the one exception to the ‘Gang of 535’ on Capitol Hill.” Now will some nice soul out there tell me what a Libertarian is?