Re: topic for next meeting

  • vintagehifisteve
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
      I second this recommendation.

      Alan, I own 3 and would be willing to bring them for comparison. I've used them on my full range speakers with very nice results. Drop me a line if you'd like to swing by and give them a listen. They're currently in the last 20 hours of break-in right now and should ready to rock by Thursday evening.

      Cheers,
      Steven Z.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
        Steven,
        I very much would like to give a listen
        What amps do you have
        Alan

        Alan, I own 3 and would be willing to bring them for comparison. I've used them on my full range speakers with very nice results. Drop me a line if you'd like to swing by and give them a listen. They're currently in the last 20 hours of break-in right now and should ready to rock by Thursday evening.

        Cheers,
        Steven Z.

        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys,
        > How about for our next meeting the topic be class D power amps. Don't know if
        > any members own any
        > but if they do I would like to here some class D amps
        > Alan

      • vintagehifisteve
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
          Alan,

          I have a Bang & Olufsen ICEPower 125ASX2 based amp (3rd Gen. module), a Class D Audio SDS-224, and a Topping TP20 MKII which is a Tripath 2020 based integrated. The B&O and the Class D both output 60wpc @ 8ohms and 125 @ 4ohms. The Topping TP20 is meant for high efficiency speakers as it's output is only 6wpc @ 8ohm and 10wpc @ 4ohm.

          I can also bring along my Electra-Print PVA which is a really nice sounding passive preamp I had made for me by Jack Elliano with high purity copper and silver hand-wound transformers. It mates up really well running directly from a CDP's analog outputs as long as it's no more than 3V.

          Drop me an email if you're available on Thursday to swing by. I'm free after 6pm.

          Thanks,
          Steven

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
            That sounds like a fine topic to me as I have never heard a class D amp before.

            Don

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012

              What will we compare the class D amps with? Other transistor or tube amps?
              Thanks,
              Frank

              Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 8:57 AM

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
                If desired, I can bring my NAD c375bee integrated amp. with 150 wpc (class AB) and .008 THD for comparison, unless Steven has an AB amp or tube amp he wants to bring.

                Don

                Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 7:48 PM

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
                  I think it would be best if we kept it strictly class D instead of doing a comparison between class D and A/AB. I have a few class D amps and I think it would be neat for the members to hear the differences between each chipset and implementation.

                  -Steven

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 30, 2012
                    I agree
                     let it just be class D
                    alan

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                      I will talk with John about the topic, but it seems we have a number of members wanting the class D amplifiers at our August meeting. Will confirm in a few days. Appreciate the suggestions. Bob

                      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 7:48 PM

                      Sent: Monday, July 30, 2012 8:57 AM

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                        If you decide that you don't want to keep it all class D after all , I can bring my Carver tube amps.
                      • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                          Hi, Bob:

                          I just received an email from Bjorn's; they are planning on having another of their "Music Matters" free concerts on Aug. 15th, the same day we were supposed to have our next meeting there. I know it was a bit of a hassle this last time with us having to move into another room and them constantly borrowing chairs for the crowd out front. You may want to discuss with John an alternate date for the club meeting. Just a suggestion.

                          Don

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                            I agree. I dont want to cause them any extra problems. I also just saw this.
                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                              Robert:

                              My bad!  I hastily read the email from Bjorn’s at work and wasn’t thinking about the date.  The Music Matters event is on a WEDNESDAY the 15th, NOT Saturday the 18th, so we should be good.
                              Sorry for my confusion!

                              Don

                              <ddisbennett@...>
                              href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
                              > > Sent: Mon, July 30, 2012 8:03:50 PM
                              > > Subject: Re:
                              [rivercityaudiosociety] topic for next meeting

                              > > If desired, I can bring my NAD c375bee integrated amp. with 150
                              wpc (class AB)
                              > > and .008 THD for comparison, unless Steven has an
                              AB amp or tube amp he wants
                              > > to bring.

                              Don

                              July 30, 2012 7:48 PM

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                                Don.  OK, that is different, but better if there is no conflict. At the moment it seems we have several members wanting a class D amp comparison.....how about the others?????? Lets hear from a few more folks if this is what you would like or any other suggestions?

                                Bob

                                <ddisbennett@...>

                                Don

                                July 30, 2012 7:48 PM
                                > > To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
                                > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] topic for next
                                meeting

                                > > What will we
                                compare the class D amps with? Other transistor or tube
                                > > amps?
                                > >
                                > > Thanks,
                                > > Frank
                                > > --- On Mon,
                                7/30/12, Don Disbennett <ddisbennett@...> wrote:

                                > > >From: Don Disbennett <ddisbennett@...>
                                > > >Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] topic for next meeting
                                > > >To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
                                > > >Date: Monday, July 30, 2012, 7:14 PM
                                > > >

                                > > >That sounds like a fine topic to me as
                                I have never heard a class D amp
                                > > >before.
                                > > >
                                > > >Don

                              • david weil
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 31, 2012
                                  Bob,
                                  A few ideas:
                                  Ulysis Mentioned he could bring along his new Carver amps. I bet they're sweet and they'd be interesting to listen to along with the class D gear. I missed Alan's meeting and I think this could be a continuation - we can hear differences in amp designs. Maybe we can pool an a/b amp and a pure class A?
                                  Also, Dac design has probably seen the fastest advancement in audio lately and I'd bet many of us have bought new dacs since our first dac meeting. Another dac meeting might be in order?
                                  Best,
                                  Dave

                                  To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: godzilla56@...
                                  Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:21:04 -0700

                                  <godzilla56@...> wrote:
                                  > > I will talk with John about the
                                  topic, but it seems we have a number of members
                                  > > wanting the class
                                  D amplifiers at our August meeting. Will confirm in a few
                                  > > days.
                                  Appreciate the suggestions. Bob

                                  > > ________________________________

                                  Don

                                  July 30, 2012 7:48 PM
                                  > > To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
                                  > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] topic for next
                                  meeting

                                  > > What will we
                                  compare the class D amps with? Other transistor or tube
                                  > > amps?
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks,
                                  > > Frank
                                  > > --- On Mon,
                                  7/30/12, Don Disbennett <ddisbennett@...> wrote:

                                  > > >From: Don Disbennett <ddisbennett@...>
                                  > > >Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] topic for next meeting
                                  > > >To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
                                  > > >Date: Monday, July 30, 2012, 7:14 PM
                                  > > >

                                  > > >That sounds like a fine topic to me as
                                  I have never heard a class D amp
                                  > > >before.
                                  > > >
                                  > > >Don

                                • Matt Solorio
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                                    Bob, my two cents ---
                                    The suggestion for a Class D amps comparison meeting sounds great.

                                    ----Matt

                                    <godzilla56@...> wrote:
                                    > > I will talk with John about the
                                    topic, but it seems we have a number of members
                                    > > wanting the class
                                    D amplifiers at our August meeting. Will confirm in a few
                                    > > days.
                                    Appreciate the suggestions. Bob

                                    Don

                                    July 30, 2012 7:48 PM