RCAS BBQ Success!!!

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
      Many thanks to John and his wife for hosting the lst RCAS BBQ last Saturday. It was a fun afternoon and there was lots of food, music and socializing. John went all out and we had three different systems to enjoy and try different components. I also enjoyed the new music brought by Don (the white vinyl!) and others as well. We also enjoyed the DIY speaker systems and will be discussing the RCAS speaker project at future meetings. It is also worth noting that the man who slaved away outside in the heat cooking our food was John's sidekick Mark. Thanks Mark we all appreciate your efforts. I have posted pictures from the event in the photo section. It was great to see the spread of food and everyone really came through in supporting this event. I think we all owe John a great thanks for all the work preparing his home for our invasion and moving around equipment to set up the listening areas. It is a LOT of work and should not be taken for granted.

      Our next meeting will be at Bjorns and conducted by fellow member Don (also our esteemed photographer). I will post more information on the subject and date as it becomes available.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 27, 2012
        The lst annual RCAS BBQ was a great success. Many thanks to John and his wife for hosting the event. The amount of food was great, everyone did their part. Also, the outside "grill man" was John's sidekick Mark, and we appreciate his efforts outside in the heat!
        We had three systems to enjoy and it was fun hearing the DIY speakers and comparing the results. I also enjoyed Don bringing a new "white" vinyl album as well as some of the other music John provided.

        The event was a lot of work for John. He set up the equipment and moved a lot of furniture around to make it pleasant for all of us. I hope all members appreciate just what goes into an event like this.

        The photos from the event have been posted for your enjoyment.

        Our July meeting will be back at Bjorns. Don will be running the meeting and I will announce more details as they are finalized.

        Bob

        P.S. I have had some problems posting this message. Apologies if it gets duplicated on the site...the first draft seems to have disappeared into thin air.
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
          Hi, Bob/RCA Members:

          I concur with your comments about John’s(and his lovely wife) hospitality.  That was a great party, John, and we really do appreciate your allowing us to come to your home and listen to your music/systems!  Thank you very much!
          Secondly, I am gearing up for the Powered Speakers meeting at Bjorn’s this month; there were several of you who volunteered to help by bringing your powered speakers or other gear. I can’t recall everyone who said they would bring some gear, so please respond again.  Also, those who are able to bring your gear, please let me know if July 28th will work for you or if you prefer the July 21st instead.  Once I have confirmed the date with Bjorn’s, I will let everyone know.  Of course, I hope everyone will bring some great music to share with everyone.

          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
            I   vote for July 28th as I will be playing in a table tennis tournament on the 21st.
            Table tennis is my other passion in life along with music
            Alan

            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
              Thanks don. Yep my computer sent out weird emails last night. Changing
              Passwords only helped for 2 months since the last attack. Ugh!
              Either date for July is ok, I need 2 weeks notice for Bjorns so let me know
              What you decide on.
              Bob

              Sent from my iPhone 2104134222

[...]

            • Matt Solorio
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
                John, I agree with the prevailing sentiments. It really was a great BBQ and critical listening session! Thank you for opening your home for the occasion. I mentioned this to you toward the end of the day at the BBQ; however, it deserves repeating that the RCAS meetings and events are consistently fun, and popular. I believe due to the awesome people in the group, and in no small part due to the effort you and Bob put into starting the group, and into helping keep it together.

                In addition -- Don,  if I can help with the meeting prep please let me know. I think either of the Saturdays you mentioned is great.

                ----Matt

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 30, 2012
                  Thanks, Matt!  I appreciate your help.  I am trying to remember the RCA member who volunteered to bring his preamp and another who volunteered to bring his Dynaudio powered speakers.  If he sees this post, I hope he will remind me that he is the one who volunteered.

                  Don

                  Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 8:24 PM

[...]

                • david weil
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                    Hey Don, I'll be happy to bring the BM5A Dyns along to the meeting. I'll bring XLR cables, power cord and Benchmark Dac 1 to power them up. I've got about terrabyte of music on a laptop that I use as a source & can bring that as well. Let me know if you'll need any other gear. Either weekend will work for me.
                    Looking forward to it.
                    David

                    To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    From: thudeets@...
                    Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:24:13 -0700

                  • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012
                      Hi, David:

                      I really appreciate your bringing the speakers, cables, DAC and laptop with music. Now if I can just find someone who can bring a folding table to put everything on. I don't have one, so we really need to find one of those. Maybe Matt can bring one if he owns one?
                      Thanks guys! It looks like it will probably have to be on July 21st as I have company coming from out of town the following Saturday; I am waiting on confirmation that we can use the room at Bjorn's on that date.
                      Thanks again, David.

                      Don

                    • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 2, 2012

                        ---- david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Don, I'll be happy to bring the BM5A Dyns along to the meeting. I'll bring XLR cables, power cord and Benchmark Dac 1 to power them up. I've got about terrabyte of music on a laptop that I use as a source & can bring that as well. Let me know if you'll need any other gear. Either weekend will work for me.
                        > Looking forward to it.
                        > David
                        >

                        > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                        > From: thudeets@...
                        > Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:24:13 -0700
                        > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] RCAS BBQ Success!!!

                        > John, I agree with the prevailing sentiments. It really was a great
                        > BBQ and critical listening session! Thank you for opening your home
                        > for the occasion. I mentioned this to you toward the end of the day at the BBQ;
                        > however, it deserves repeating that the RCAS meetings and events are consistently
                        > fun, and popular. I believe due to the awesome people in the group, and in no small part due
                        > to the effort you and Bob put into starting the group, and into helping keep it together.
                        >
                        > In addition -- Don, if I can help with the
                        > meeting prep please let me know. I think either of the Saturdays you mentioned is great.
                        >
                        > ----Matt

                      • Matt Solorio
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                          Don, can do. Please keep me posted on the date.

                          ----Matt

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 3, 2012
                            Matt/Fellow RCAS Members:

                            Due to recent circumstances beyond my control, I had to schedule the July meeting at Bjorn’s on Saturday, July 21st, at 1:00 pm.  I know some of you may have other commitments that day and I truly am sorry if you have to miss this meeting, but I couldn’t work it for the following weekend as I had hoped.
                            I hope as many of you as possible will come and please bring any new/special music that you have as this meeting will not be so much about the equipment and certainly will not be a “which is better” sort of meeting.  Rather, we will just play several different types of powered speakers in a variety of price brackets to show what this category of speaker is about and then just play some great music for the rest of the meeting.  Matt and David will be helping me, so even if I screw things up, they will set me straight!
                            Hope to see you all on the 21st at Bjorn’s, just Bjorn’s.

                            Don

                            Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 12:22 PM

                            Don, can do. Please keep me posted on the date.

                            ----Matt

                            I really appreciate your bringing the speakers, cables, DAC and laptop with music. Now if I can just find someone who can bring a folding table to put everything on. I don't have one, so we really need to find one of those. Maybe Matt can bring one if he owns one?
                            Thanks guys! It looks like it will probably have to be on July 21st as I have company coming from out of town the following Saturday; I am waiting on confirmation that we can use the room at Bjorn's on that date.
                            Thanks again, David.

                            Don
                            ---- david weil <mailto:dpgdave%40hotmail.com> wrote:

                            > Hey Don, I'll be happy to bring the BM5A Dyns along to
                            the meeting. I'll bring XLR cables, power cord and Benchmark Dac 1 to power them up. I've got about terrabyte of music on a laptop that I use as a source & can bring that as well. Let me know if you'll need any other gear. Either weekend will work for me.
                            > Looking forward to it.
                            > David
                            >

                            > To:
                            href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com

                            From: mailto:thudeets%40yahoo.com

                            Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:24:13 -0700

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 5, 2012
                              Hi John,
                              As usual, you're the perfect host! I had a great time, thanks again for opening your house for us- great party!
                              .
                              Ulises.
                            • noflatsnosharps
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012
                                Don,
                                I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers I can bring. The satellites are spec'd @ 35watts/channel, and the sub is spec'd @ 50watts /130watts peak. Just let me know for sure.
                                Lee

                              • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 16, 2012
                                  Hi, Lee:

                                  Thanks for your kind offer. I am not familiar with your speakers, but they would need to connect to the preamp via either xlr or rca connectors. We are focusing on home audio/studio powered speakers, so if your speakers fit that description, please feel free to bring them and we will see what they sound like. We are going to cut this meeting a bit short so the members can listen to the live performers at Bjorn's that day(plus free food!).
                                  See you on Saturday, Lee.

                                  Don

                                • noflatsnosharps
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 17, 2012
                                    No biggie. I can bring them in for a later meeting.
                                    Lee

                                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, <ddisbennett@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi, Lee:
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your kind offer. I am not familiar with your speakers, but they would need to connect to the preamp via either xlr or rca connectors. We are focusing on home audio/studio powered speakers, so if your speakers fit that description, please feel free to bring them and we will see what they sound like. We are going to cut this meeting a bit short so the members can listen to the live performers at Bjorn's that day(plus free food!).
                                    > See you on Saturday, Lee.
                                    >
                                    > Don
                                    > ---- noflatsnosharps <leemoreno@...> wrote:
                                    > > Don,
                                    > > I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers I can bring. The satellites are spec'd @ 35watts/channel, and the sub is spec'd @ 50watts /130watts peak. Just let me know for sure.
                                    > > Lee
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Matt/Fellow RCAS Members:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Due to recent circumstances beyond my control, I had to schedule the July meeting at Bjorn’s on Saturday, July 21st, at 1:00 pm. I know some of you may have other commitments that day and I truly am sorry if you have to miss this meeting, but I couldn’t work it for the following weekend as I had hoped.
                                    > > > I hope as many of you as possible will come and please bring any new/special music that you have as this meeting will not be so much about the equipment and certainly will not be a “which is better” sort of meeting. Rather, we will just play several different types of powered speakers in a variety of price brackets to show what this category of speaker is about and then just play some great music for the rest of the meeting. Matt and David will be helping me, so even if I screw things up, they will set me straight!
                                    > > > Hope to see you all on the 21st at Bjorn’s, just Bjorn’s.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Don

                                  • david weil
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 17, 2012
                                      Hello Don,
                                      Unfortunately something has come up and I need to be in New York this weekend and won't be able to make it to Bjorns. I apologize for the short notice but you're still welcome to the Dyns, Dac and XLR cables for the meeting. Give me a call on my cell at 559-779-7029 or send me a message at dpgdave@... and we can arrange the hand-off.
                                      Best,
                                      Dave

                                      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: leemoreno@...