Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Interested in Tekton speakers...

  • Steven Zaiontz
    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2011
      Which size were you looking for? I've heard great things about the
      FE103's as well as FE127's. I myself love full range drivers. I'm
      currently building a pair of Pensils for the Mark Audio Alpair 10 Gen
      2 drivers. You can see my build in the photo gallery. The
      Tekton/Fostex drivers are cheap enough for you to purchase a pair and
      play around with no big loss if you're not happy.

      I plan on picking up a pair of FE103's in a month or two for a small
      bedroom set of speakers. If you decide to purchase a pair let me
      know. I'll help you build the appropriate enclosure.

      -Steven

      On 5/12/11, the_matching_mole <hopstetter@...> wrote:
      > Does anybody in town have a pair? I'd love to hear them.
      >
      > I'm currently using a pair of 1977 Cornwalls, powered by McIntosh MC30s and
      > an Audio Research SP-6B preamp. I'm itching to try some new speakers.

    • the_matching_mole
      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2011
        Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.

        Truth is, I've never built a pair of speakers. I just finished my first electronics kit -- a Bottlehead Quickie, and it didn't explode!

        I am curious about the prebuilt Tekton Design speakers -- the 81en and Lores, for example. But those Pensils with FE103s do seem intriguing.

        As for full-range drivers, I've heard a few. I once had a pair of Rethms in my house (courstesy of Creston Funk). I thought they sounded good but lacked bass and boogie factor.

        -- Gene Hopstetter
      • Steven Zaiontz
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2011
          I don't think the FE103 will work in the Pensil enclosure. Those were
          specifically made for the Alpair 10 Gen 2 drivers. Though I know
          there are quite a few designs out there, specific to the Tektons.

          If you decide on a style of enclosure you'd like to try, let me know
          and I'll see if I can help you out. I can provide you with a flat
          pack so you can assemble and finish it yourself, or we can spend a day
          together at my shop, and get it knocked out.

          You may want to look at the Markaudio.com drivers. They address the
          bass problem by having a great deal of suspension travel (Xmax) for
          full range drivers. Though this sacrifices some efficiency, I think
          it's a fair trade off. They're reasonably priced as well. Shoot me an
          email if you need more help. SZaiontz@...

          -Steven

          On 5/12/11, the_matching_mole <hopstetter@...> wrote:
          > Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.
          >
          > Truth is, I've never built a pair of speakers. I just finished my first
          > electronics kit -- a Bottlehead Quickie, and it didn't explode!
          >
          > I am curious about the prebuilt Tekton Design speakers -- the 81en and
          > Lores, for example. But those Pensils with FE103s do seem intriguing.
          >
          > As for full-range drivers, I've heard a few. I once had a pair of Rethms in
          > my house (courstesy of Creston Funk). I thought they sounded good but lacked
          > bass and boogie factor.
          >

          > -- Gene Hopstetter

        • Steven Zaiontz
          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2011
            Also, the veneer for my cabinets came in today so they will be
            completed within th next week or so. If by then youre still undecided
            about which route to take, I encourage you to swing by my house and
            give them a listen.

            At the moment they're in tiny little cardboard boxes while they
            break-in. I'm thrilled to say that on certain recordings their
            realism is down-right spooky. The vocals are smooth and controlled,
            and from what I can tell they can dig pretty deep for small drivers
            (considering their small cardboard enclosures). I've been pleasantly
            surprised by these drivers since I've hooked them up, and considering
            I'm only in the beginning process of break-in I'd imagine there's room
            for much more improvement. Not to mention that I'm using the absolute
            cheapest RCA cables and speaker wire I had on hand. When I hook up my
            Dayton cables and silver coated copper wire I'm sure things will only
            get better.

            Hahaha, anyways, sorry if I sound like a salesman. I'm here if you
            need help. Just drop me a line.

            -Steven

            On 5/12/11, Steven Zaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
            > I don't think the FE103 will work in the Pensil enclosure. Those were
            > specifically made for the Alpair 10 Gen 2 drivers. Though I know
            > there are quite a few designs out there, specific to the Tektons.
            >
            > If you decide on a style of enclosure you'd like to try, let me know
            > and I'll see if I can help you out. I can provide you with a flat
            > pack so you can assemble and finish it yourself, or we can spend a day
            > together at my shop, and get it knocked out.
            >
            > You may want to look at the Markaudio.com drivers. They address the
            > bass problem by having a great deal of suspension travel (Xmax) for
            > full range drivers. Though this sacrifices some efficiency, I think
            > it's a fair trade off. They're reasonably priced as well. Shoot me an
            > email if you need more help. SZaiontz@...
            >
            > -Steven
            >
            > On 5/12/11, the_matching_mole <hopstetter@...> wrote:
            >> Thanks for the quick reply, Steve.
            >>
            >> Truth is, I've never built a pair of speakers. I just finished my first
            >> electronics kit -- a Bottlehead Quickie, and it didn't explode!
            >>
            >> I am curious about the prebuilt Tekton Design speakers -- the 81en and
            >> Lores, for example. But those Pensils with FE103s do seem intriguing.
            >>
            >> As for full-range drivers, I've heard a few. I once had a pair of Rethms
            >> in
            >> my house (courstesy of Creston Funk). I thought they sounded good but
            >> lacked
            >> bass and boogie factor.
            >>

            >> -- Gene Hopstetter

          • the_matching_mole
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2011
              Thanks for the info, Steve. I'm eager to hear your speakers. Thanks for the offers for help and demonstrations; I'll be sure take you up on them.

              It was Dave Burgin who told me about this group (he had stopped by to look at some gear I'm trying to sell). He mentioned some challenges he's having with computer-based audio, and since I'm an Apple Certified Macintosh Technician, I said I'd be happy to get together over some beers and hash it out. Looks like this group has lots to offer; and I'd be happy to offer my Apple expertise to the group.
            • Steven Zaiontz
              Message 6 of 11 , May 12, 2011
                Awesome. I love Apple's originality in product design/features, but I
                just can't break away from my PC for some reason. I've given up on
                computer based audio for the most part. Even true lossless files
                don't compare to CD or vinyl quality in my opinion. We'll save that
                conversation for another day.

                I'm all for the integration of alcohol and audio. If anyone ever
                wants to meet up at Bombay down town or somewhere else let me know.
                Let's talk the talk and toss back a few while we're at it.

                Cheers,

                Message 7 of 11 , May 12, 2011
                  Oh man! does this mean I have to buy an Apple desktop to go with the iPhone and iPad I already have bluetooth to my stereo? LOL....Luther

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2011
                    Yes Luther, it's time you bought an Apple desktop. But don't worry, you get a free black turtleneck sweater with it, so you'll be cool like the rest of us ;-).

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 13, 2011
                      Oh, I could never be as cool as you. You are Mr. Cool Breeze...

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 13, 2011
                        I wanted to give a big "Thank You" to RCA member and Co-Founder, John Schurman, for his generosity in lending me his Dual 1219 turntable so that I can digitize about 50 old 78 rpm records that belonged to my parents. While picking up the turntable from John, I also got to see his unbelievable collection of vintage (and current) hi fi gear! I also got to listen to his Usher speakers with his Parasound bridged amps (600 wpc). I was quite impressed with them; this was the first time I had ever heard Usher speakers or Parasound amps. He also has a couple of beautiful vintage Marantz receivers, one of which has been fully restored and they are magnificent.
                        Thanks again for the loan and for your hospitality!