Re: Website

  • pkaragas
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 30, 2012
      Here's a link to the meetup.com fee schedule: http://www.meetup.com/help/Does-it-cost-money-to-start-a-Meetup-Group/

      More than one club member can be an organizer and setup & schedule club meetings. Those facebook fans can setup links to their profiles, get updates, etc. -Paul

      Message 2 of 24 , May 1, 2012
        I agree with Alan about the quick a/b testing. We saw how difficult that was at the cable shootout. The professional reviewers for the major audio publications take in a product and live with it awhile to get the full gestalt of what it sounds like.                                                                                                                                                           I also have a nice pair of set amps and modified Klipsch RF-5's , but no car. I would be willing to bring them with help. Also the gold speaker cables as I use them to greater advantage than was heard at the shootout.

        From: ddisbennett@...
        Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:14:11 +0000

        Bob:

        I would be willing to do a future meeting at Bjorn's on Powered Speakers. I have two such sets myself, one inexpensive and one modestly priced set, but I would like to have several other sets from other members if they are willing to bring them.
        Let me know and I will start working on it!

        Don
        ---- Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
        > Don has nailed it here. John and I changed to this format last year inasmuch as
        > it was a lot of work for the two of of us every month. However, if members would
        > identify topics, put together equipment and such there is no reason why we cant
        > go to more general meetings. . Bjorns will allow us there once a month if I ask
        > in advance. However, in the past when John & I have asked for topics
        we have
        > very little or no input. So, if the members want more meetings I think that is
        > great, but people need to step up for it to happen. Lets pick some months,
        > identify who will moderate the meeting, coordinate the equipment and so on. John
        > and I will be happy to continue the quarterly format as we are doing now and the
        > mini meetings. So, lets hear from others on this subject...what do you want?
        > As far as a separate website, that is more in Luthers domain. He set this up
        > for us and it seems to be working very well. If it costs money then that raises
        > another issue regarding club dues and such. John is already winded chasing
        > certain people to pay dues. I think I can speak for him when we say we dont need
        > to go out of pocket any more for expenses.
        > Anyway, these are good ideas and I like to hear members want more not less. It
        > is our club and should
        serve all of our needs. Lets here from others on these
        > subjects.

        counts: I am not opposed at all to our having our own

        Message 3 of 24 , May 1, 2012
          My thought is we should keep our audio society as low cost as possible,both to aid in attracting more members and to help introduce high end audio to younger people who are new to this hobby/obsession. As home theater blossomed, it seems to have left quality audio in it's wake, although home theater audio is getting better as customers learn the value of better sound.

[...]
          Bob

          I agree with Alan on both counts: I am not opposed at all to our having our own website if it can be done well and at a reasonable and sustainable cost, but I believe the full meetings are very important to retaining our members interest in the club. We can usually only accommodate 4 or 5 members at a mini-meeting and we have 20 or more members at the full meetings. As Alan stated, they are a lot of work(ask Bob and John about that!), but I believe there are plenty of members who would be more than willing to help with meetings as Luther and I and others have done in the past. Perhaps we need to get a list of topics for future meetings and then have members sign up to take charge of those meetings or help out in various ways to put that meeting on.
          As for Facebook, I am just not interested in it and have no desire to participate in that media. I was on Facebook briefly and cancelled my enrollment afterwards; not my thing, but I can see the appeal for younger members perhaps.

          Don
          ---- Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:
          > Hey guys,
          > Regarding the question of should we have our own web site, I would rather see us
          > make a greater effort to have
          > more full meetings for the general membership then we are now having. The mini
          > meetings are nice but a lot of our members
          > are not attending these and will eventually drop out, It is the full meetings
          > that will sustain our club. Trust me
          > I speak from experience. I know that the full meetings are a lot of work but we
          > have plenty of people
          > here willing to help out.
          > Also I do not want any involvement with Facebook
          > Alan

        • Erick Matta
          Message 4 of 24 , May 1, 2012
            david,
            a meeting on digital computer/laptop based front end setups would be very welcomed by me personally. i recently did a 24/96 recording of a gig i played on with orch/choir/organ at zion lutheran. this could also be another potential meeting topic at some point in the near future, as i know john is intereted.
            those dynaudio's would be great for on location recording sessions! would love to hear them!
            erick

            To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
            CC: godzilla56@...
            From: ddisbennett@...
            Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:14:11 +0000

            Bob:

            I would be willing to do a future meeting at Bjorn's on Powered Speakers. I have two such sets myself, one inexpensive and one modestly priced set, but I would like to have several other sets from other members if they are willing to bring them.
            Let me know and I will start working on it!

            Don
            ---- Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
            > Don has nailed it here. John and I changed to this format last year inasmuch as
            > it was a lot of work for the two of of us every month. However, if members would
            > identify topics, put together equipment and such there is no reason why we cant
            > go to more general meetings. . Bjorns will allow us there once a month if I ask
            > in advance. However, in the past when John & I have asked for topics we have
            > very little or no input. So, if the members want more meetings I think that is
            > great, but people need to step up for it to happen. Lets pick some months,
            > identify who will moderate the meeting, coordinate the equipment and so on. John
            > and I will be happy to continue the quarterly format as we are doing now and the
            > mini meetings. So, lets hear from others on this subject...what do you want?
            > As far as a separate website, that is more in Luthers domain. He set this up
            > for us and it seems to be working very well. If it costs money then that raises
            > another issue regarding club dues and such. John is already winded chasing
            > certain people to pay dues. I think I can speak for him when we say we dont need
            > to go out of pocket any more for expenses.
            > Anyway, these are good ideas and I like to hear members want more not less. It
            > is our club and should serve all of our needs. Lets here from others on these
            > subjects.

          • david weil
            Message 5 of 24 , May 1, 2012
              Joe,
              I find the A/B testing conversation interesting. I hear the differences between gear better when hearing them blind because I can concentrate on the sound I'm hearing and not all of the other information-->the designs of the gear and the way it "should" sound.  Sometimes I'll close my eyes and it seems my brain can absorb more music info, as if it's over compensating for loss of the visual sense with a boost to the audible sense.
              The group's long time audiophiles are probably better equipped in the critical listening department. Take Alan, a veteran in the recording industry who knows correct sound - pitch, tone etc... We have orchestral musicians as well--they know pitch and tone. I'm trying to get a better grasp for these characteristics of sound and I find this group very valuable in that department.
              Maybe we can have a group meeting to demonstrate tone of real instruments for a better idea of the differences between our own systems and the real deal?
              Best,
              David

              To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              From: bohan.joseph@...
              Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 05:33:16 -0700

              From: ddisbennett@...
              Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 19:14:11 +0000

              Bob:

              I would be willing to do a future meeting at Bjorn's on Powered Speakers. I have two such sets myself, one inexpensive and one modestly priced set, but I would like to have several other sets from other members if they are willing to bring them.
              Let me know and I will start working on it!

              Don
              ---- Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
              > Don has nailed it here. John and I changed to this format last year inasmuch as
              > it was a lot of work for the two of of us every month. However, if members would
              > identify topics, put together equipment and such there is no reason why we cant
              > go to more general meetings. . Bjorns will allow us there once a month if I ask
              > in advance. However, in the past when John & I have asked for topics
              we have
              > very little or no input. So, if the members want more meetings I think that is
              > great, but people need to step up for it to happen. Lets pick some months,
              > identify who will moderate the meeting, coordinate the equipment and so on. John
              > and I will be happy to continue the quarterly format as we are doing now and the
              > mini meetings. So, lets hear from others on this subject...what do you want?
              > As far as a separate website, that is more in Luthers domain. He set this up
              > for us and it seems to be working very well. If it costs money then that raises
              > another issue regarding club dues and such. John is already winded chasing
              > certain people to pay dues. I think I can speak for him when we say we dont need
              > to go out of pocket any more for expenses.
              > Anyway, these are good ideas and I like to hear members want more not less. It
              > is our club and should
              serve all of our needs. Lets here from others on these
              > subjects.

            • vintagehifisteve
              Message 6 of 24 , May 1, 2012
                David, good post. I agree. A meeting on how to understand correct tonal differences and pitch would be awesome. As well as listening to a recording of a solo instrument and then a/b with one of the guys here that plays the said instrument. I think this is worth pursuing.

                -Steven