Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] The RCA'S Speaker Project

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
      Yes, very cool Steve. You have some nice tools. They make all the difference in a quality project. I too have a table saw,  router table/bits, table sander and drill press but no planer. I was lucky to meet Steven, who works in a cabinet shop, when I need some 1" bubinga planed on one side.

      So, are you of the school that you can never have to many clamps? LOL

      What I really want is a CNC machine but that cuts into the audio fund. Besides Steven is our resident CAD/CNC guy.

      Hopefully we can get together and build something.

      Luther

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
        Luther,

        Yes, never too many clamps!

        Sounds like you and Steven have that stuff covered.

        Always great to befriend a cabinet shop guy.....Second only to the buddy with a pick up truck.
        Steve

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
          I had an original idea today , but don't know if anyone here is capable of building it. Re : 15' Hawthorne speakers. My Klipsch RF-5's use a Tractrix horn to load the 1" dome tweeter. Instead of an open baffle for the 15" driver I see a siamese pair of Tractrix horns back-to back loading both the front and back wave of that large driver providing MUCH greater distance between the front and back ,thereby reducing the low freq. cancellation and ? probably lowering the rolloff frequency giving louder bass. The advantage I see in Tractrix is that it's shorter than the horn shape of the legacy speakers like La Scala.

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 22, 2012
            I just came across the most comprehensive site I've found regarding high efficiency loudspeaker design for those interested ( and willing to do a LOT of reading ) here it is : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES.htm With many photos.