Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: The RCA'S Speaker Project

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
      Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.

      I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.

      Luther

        Hey guys, just wanted to throw out another idea. I've currently got a pair of 15" Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers on open baffle that are not being used. We could possibly use these drivers and rebuild the baffle to accommodate a pair of Hawthorne's Augie 15" open baffle subwoofers as well. Here is a link that will show you the different variations of Hawthorne speakers that have been built by people all around the U.S.A and other parts of the world. Enjoy!

        http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297

        -Steven

        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:

        > Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.
        >
        > I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.
        >
        > Luther

      • Steve Surbaugh
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012

          Very cool.
          I've not been active in the club but have high quality woodworking tools if needed.

          Have a well set up table saw, router table/bits, planer and various other stuff.
          Steve

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
            Yes, very cool Steve. You have some nice tools. They make all the difference in a quality project. I too have a table saw,  router table/bits, table sander and drill press but no planer. I was lucky to meet Steven, who works in a cabinet shop, when I need some 1" bubinga planed on one side.

            So, are you of the school that you can never have to many clamps? LOL

            What I really want is a CNC machine but that cuts into the audio fund. Besides Steven is our resident CAD/CNC guy.

            Hopefully we can get together and build something.

            Luther

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
              Luther,

              Yes, never too many clamps!

              Sounds like you and Steven have that stuff covered.

              Always great to befriend a cabinet shop guy.....Second only to the buddy with a pick up truck.
              Steve

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                I had an original idea today , but don't know if anyone here is capable of building it. Re : 15' Hawthorne speakers. My Klipsch RF-5's use a Tractrix horn to load the 1" dome tweeter. Instead of an open baffle for the 15" driver I see a siamese pair of Tractrix horns back-to back loading both the front and back wave of that large driver providing MUCH greater distance between the front and back ,thereby reducing the low freq. cancellation and ? probably lowering the rolloff frequency giving louder bass. The advantage I see in Tractrix is that it's shorter than the horn shape of the legacy speakers like La Scala.

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 22, 2012
                  I just came across the most comprehensive site I've found regarding high efficiency loudspeaker design for those interested ( and willing to do a LOT of reading ) here it is : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES.htm With many photos.