Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: The RCA'S Speaker Project

    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
      Here is another link to look at
      Plans for the Medallion cabinets are available here for downloading
      Alan

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
        There are lots of projects listed on Parts Express
        http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery/speaker-projects/

        There is a 955 page thread on Audiokarma for a 2-way EconoWave
        http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

        check out these repurposed cabinets (I have a pair of Altec cabs in my garage)
        http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939&page=622

        Econowave on DIYAudio (econowaves are a hot topic these days)
        http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/179800-s15-econowave-dsp-constant-directivity-vs-dipole-study.html

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
          My audio " hero " is Paul Klipsch and I agree with High Efficiency as the best way for high resolution audio . I would be willing to contribute as much of that gold plated OCC wire as needed to wire the cabinets and as speaker cable. I know they did not win at our Cable Shootout, but the gauge was too small for the efficiency of the speakers used. You have no idea how they can disappear !

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
              I think the group build is a great idea. I'm most interested in horns right now and I'm thinking about buying or building a new midhorn for my Klipschorns right now so that would be an interesting undertaking, especially considering we have a darn good horn building in Luther. I agree that single full range drivers would be the easiest route and I'm a fan of Audio Nirvana too. A friend has been experimenting with single driver builds and he prefers them in an Open Baffle. We could consider that too-it would make the project even easier. His latest build was Tang Band full range drivers and he's ordered top of the line Hawthorne full range drivers for his next build. I'll ask him if he's done with the Tang Bands in case they could be an option for our build. They're a  pretty nice set.

              Dave W

              To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              From: bohan.joseph@...
              Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:48:07 -0700

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                Great input guys, keep it coming!

                -Steven

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                  Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.

                  I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.

                  Luther

                    Hey guys, just wanted to throw out another idea. I've currently got a pair of 15" Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers on open baffle that are not being used. We could possibly use these drivers and rebuild the baffle to accommodate a pair of Hawthorne's Augie 15" open baffle subwoofers as well. Here is a link that will show you the different variations of Hawthorne speakers that have been built by people all around the U.S.A and other parts of the world. Enjoy!

                    http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297

                    -Steven

                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:

                    > Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.
                    >
                    > I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.
                    >
                    > Luther

                  • Steve Surbaugh
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012

                      Very cool.
                      I've not been active in the club but have high quality woodworking tools if needed.

                      Have a well set up table saw, router table/bits, planer and various other stuff.
                      Steve

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                        Yes, very cool Steve. You have some nice tools. They make all the difference in a quality project. I too have a table saw,  router table/bits, table sander and drill press but no planer. I was lucky to meet Steven, who works in a cabinet shop, when I need some 1" bubinga planed on one side.

                        So, are you of the school that you can never have to many clamps? LOL

                        What I really want is a CNC machine but that cuts into the audio fund. Besides Steven is our resident CAD/CNC guy.

                        Hopefully we can get together and build something.

                        Luther

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                          Luther,

                          Yes, never too many clamps!

                          Sounds like you and Steven have that stuff covered.

                          Always great to befriend a cabinet shop guy.....Second only to the buddy with a pick up truck.
                          Steve

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                            I had an original idea today , but don't know if anyone here is capable of building it. Re : 15' Hawthorne speakers. My Klipsch RF-5's use a Tractrix horn to load the 1" dome tweeter. Instead of an open baffle for the 15" driver I see a siamese pair of Tractrix horns back-to back loading both the front and back wave of that large driver providing MUCH greater distance between the front and back ,thereby reducing the low freq. cancellation and ? probably lowering the rolloff frequency giving louder bass. The advantage I see in Tractrix is that it's shorter than the horn shape of the legacy speakers like La Scala.

                            > I think the group build is a great idea. I'm most interested in horns right now and I'm thinking about buying or building a new midhorn for my Klipschorns right now so that would be an interesting undertaking, especially considering we have a darn good horn building in Luther. I agree that single full range drivers would be the easiest route and I'm a fan of Audio Nirvana too. A friend has been experimenting with single driver builds and he prefers them in an Open Baffle. We could consider that too-it would make the project even easier. His latest build was Tang Band full range drivers and he's ordered top of the line Hawthorne full range drivers for his next build. I'll ask him if he's done with the Tang Bands in case they could be an option for our build. They're a pretty nice set.
                            >
                            > Dave W
                            >
                            > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                            > From: bohan.joseph@...
                            > Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:48:07 -0700
                            > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] The RCA'S Speaker Project

                            > Here's a link to a lengthy discussion on open baffle design for anyone interested in eliminating cabinet sound : http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0709/open_baffle.htm Just my 2 cents' worth. Joe Bohan

                          • bohan.joseph
                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 22, 2012
                              I just came across the most comprehensive site I've found regarding high efficiency loudspeaker design for those interested ( and willing to do a LOT of reading ) here it is : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES.htm With many photos.