Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] The RCA'S Speaker Project

  • David Burgin
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
      I have 10 thumbs but I would love to try it.  Single drivers and horns always interest me most.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 10, 2012, at 8:42 PM, "wardsweb" <wardsweb@...> wrote:

      I know John and Steven have been talking about this, so I thought I would see how much interest there is in the group for a DIY speaker build? The first pair will be funded by John and Steven has volunteered to help with cutting. Once complete we would have a meeting to listen and critique the finished product. You may love it enough to want to build a pair yourself.

      We would like your input. What would you like to see, hear, and learn how to build?

      Here are some links to get the brain flowing.

      Full range, single driver, no crossover, very cabinet dependent.
      http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

      A DIY playground with kit builds, buy a cabinet? build a cabinet?
      http://www.madisound.com/kits/

      2-ways and horns
      http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3

      Let's keep it fairly simple. Maybe later we can take it up a notch and build some Hedlund horns?

    • vintagehifisteve
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
        For simplicity's sake, my vote goes for the use of a high efficiency full range driver. No crossovers, no filters, just pure untouched signal from amplifier to driver. This route will be very amplifier friendly. 1 good watt is really all you would need.

        That being said, I personally believe Audio Nirvana should be looked at. Even if the budget doesn't allow for the use of their higher end Alnico and/or Neodymium drivers, I still believe their ferrite magnet based drivers have one of the highest price to performance ratios of full range drivers.

        I've also talked to the manufacturer and have been offered an exclusive discount for this RCAS project, which is a win win situation for both of us. Perhaps his flagship 15" Alnico driver is within budget after all?

        In any case, you guys' opinions and questions are welcome so please don't be shy. This is a group project all the way down to binding posts, speaker wire, and cabinet color. All ideas are welcome!

        -Steven Z

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
          Just to let you guys know I have Lowther PM2A's in Meddalian II cabinets
          These are a single driver, No crossovery in a backloaded horn cabinet
          Alan

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
            Hi, All:

            I know absolutely nothing about building speakers, but it certainly sounds like an interesting project for our club.  However, I will defer to those more knowledgeable than I as to what/how we should proceed.

            Don

            Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 9:52 PM
            Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: The RCA'S Speaker Project

            href="http://www.planet10-hifi.com/">http://www.planet10-hifi.com/

            href="http://www.madisound.com/kits/">http://www.madisound.com/kits/

            href="http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3">http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3

            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
              Guys you can see the full range of Audio Nirvana speakers and others here:
              http://www.lowtherspeakers.com/

              Here is a link to a Fonken cabinet for the cast AN10 (Super 10 Cast frame $228/pr at Common Sense Audio)
              Actual plan talk starts on page 5, post 42 & 48
              Dave (Planet10) is even looking for beta testers for the cabinet design (read free plans)
              http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/194043-fonken-10-audio-nirvana.html

              Here is a link to the Emken cabinet for the Eminence 12LTA ($160/pr at Parts Express)
              Dave is looking for beta testers here too.
              http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/208347-ladies-gentlemen-emken.html

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
                Here is another link to look at
                Plans for the Medallion cabinets are available here for downloading
                Alan

                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 10, 2012
                  There are lots of projects listed on Parts Express
                  http://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery/speaker-projects/

                  There is a 955 page thread on Audiokarma for a 2-way EconoWave
                  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939

                  check out these repurposed cabinets (I have a pair of Altec cabs in my garage)
                  http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=150939&page=622

                  Econowave on DIYAudio (econowaves are a hot topic these days)
                  http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/179800-s15-econowave-dsp-constant-directivity-vs-dipole-study.html

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                    My audio " hero " is Paul Klipsch and I agree with High Efficiency as the best way for high resolution audio . I would be willing to contribute as much of that gold plated OCC wire as needed to wire the cabinets and as speaker cable. I know they did not win at our Cable Shootout, but the gauge was too small for the efficiency of the speakers used. You have no idea how they can disappear !

                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                        I think the group build is a great idea. I'm most interested in horns right now and I'm thinking about buying or building a new midhorn for my Klipschorns right now so that would be an interesting undertaking, especially considering we have a darn good horn building in Luther. I agree that single full range drivers would be the easiest route and I'm a fan of Audio Nirvana too. A friend has been experimenting with single driver builds and he prefers them in an Open Baffle. We could consider that too-it would make the project even easier. His latest build was Tang Band full range drivers and he's ordered top of the line Hawthorne full range drivers for his next build. I'll ask him if he's done with the Tang Bands in case they could be an option for our build. They're a  pretty nice set.

                        Dave W

                        To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                        From: bohan.joseph@...
                        Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:48:07 -0700

                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                          Great input guys, keep it coming!

                          -Steven

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                            Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.

                            I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.

                            Luther

                              Hey guys, just wanted to throw out another idea. I've currently got a pair of 15" Hawthorne Silver Iris drivers on open baffle that are not being used. We could possibly use these drivers and rebuild the baffle to accommodate a pair of Hawthorne's Augie 15" open baffle subwoofers as well. Here is a link that will show you the different variations of Hawthorne speakers that have been built by people all around the U.S.A and other parts of the world. Enjoy!

                              http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3297

                              -Steven

                              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:

                              > Absolutley! The more that get involved the better. This is an RCA's project.
                              >
                              > I'll give everyone a few days to look at the links and think about this project. Then, I'll start asking some question to narrow the focus and dial in the build given your feedback.
                              >
                              > Luther

                            • Steve Surbaugh
                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012

                                Very cool.
                                I've not been active in the club but have high quality woodworking tools if needed.

                                Have a well set up table saw, router table/bits, planer and various other stuff.
                                Steve

                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                                  Yes, very cool Steve. You have some nice tools. They make all the difference in a quality project. I too have a table saw,  router table/bits, table sander and drill press but no planer. I was lucky to meet Steven, who works in a cabinet shop, when I need some 1" bubinga planed on one side.

                                  So, are you of the school that you can never have to many clamps? LOL

                                  What I really want is a CNC machine but that cuts into the audio fund. Besides Steven is our resident CAD/CNC guy.

                                  Hopefully we can get together and build something.

                                  Luther

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                                    Luther,

                                    Yes, never too many clamps!

                                    Sounds like you and Steven have that stuff covered.

                                    Always great to befriend a cabinet shop guy.....Second only to the buddy with a pick up truck.
                                    Steve

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 11, 2012
                                      I had an original idea today , but don't know if anyone here is capable of building it. Re : 15' Hawthorne speakers. My Klipsch RF-5's use a Tractrix horn to load the 1" dome tweeter. Instead of an open baffle for the 15" driver I see a siamese pair of Tractrix horns back-to back loading both the front and back wave of that large driver providing MUCH greater distance between the front and back ,thereby reducing the low freq. cancellation and ? probably lowering the rolloff frequency giving louder bass. The advantage I see in Tractrix is that it's shorter than the horn shape of the legacy speakers like La Scala.

                                      > I think the group build is a great idea. I'm most interested in horns right now and I'm thinking about buying or building a new midhorn for my Klipschorns right now so that would be an interesting undertaking, especially considering we have a darn good horn building in Luther. I agree that single full range drivers would be the easiest route and I'm a fan of Audio Nirvana too. A friend has been experimenting with single driver builds and he prefers them in an Open Baffle. We could consider that too-it would make the project even easier. His latest build was Tang Band full range drivers and he's ordered top of the line Hawthorne full range drivers for his next build. I'll ask him if he's done with the Tang Bands in case they could be an option for our build. They're a pretty nice set.
                                      >
                                      > Dave W
                                      >
                                      > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                      > From: bohan.joseph@...
                                      > Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 05:48:07 -0700
                                      > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] The RCA'S Speaker Project

                                      > Here's a link to a lengthy discussion on open baffle design for anyone interested in eliminating cabinet sound : http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0709/open_baffle.htm Just my 2 cents' worth. Joe Bohan

                                    • bohan.joseph
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 22, 2012
                                        I just came across the most comprehensive site I've found regarding high efficiency loudspeaker design for those interested ( and willing to do a LOT of reading ) here it is : http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/HES.htm With many photos.