Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Saturday's Meeting

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 18, 2012
      Hi, Dave:

      I won’t give you my “opinion” of the results as they would obviously have my bias, so I will just give the facts that I can recall.  We first evaluated all the cables (10) by playing 30 seconds of an instrumental and one vocal song and each member ranked each cable in turn using a numeric scale.  At the end, the numbers were totaled and entered besides the cables name, retail cost, etc.  The top three cables were the Nordost, the Analysis and a third I am not familiar with and can’t recall, but it was a audiophile grade cable.  There was actually a tie for third place with some 16 ga. zip cord tying the high-end cable for third place.  Interestingly too, the most expensive cable, a Cardas cable costing $2,200 was mid-pack.  After the initial round of listening tests as described above, we had a “face off” among the top three cables, not including the zip wire, to see if the order would change.  We used the same songs and same procedure as in the first test.  The order came out exactly the same in the face-off, with the Nordost, the Analysis and the other audiophile cable placing one, two and three again.  I think we were all a bit surprised at the results being the same the second time around.  I also must point out that the numeric differences between the top cables and even the lower-ranked cables were not large and we did not do any statistical analysis of the results to see if they were statistically significant or just due to random chance.  But it was very interesting and I think everyone had fun.  As has been pointed out by Matt already, Luther did a great job of designing and constructing the audio setup so we (he) could change cables behind the scenes and non of the members could see which cable was being tested as they were all just assigned a number.  Luther also provided a very nice set of monitor speakers and a great sounding tube integrated amp. for the tests.  The songs were played from an attached hdd in FLAC format using my Oppo universal blu-ray player (BDP-93).
      If I have left out anything important or gotten the facts wrong, any member who was there please feel free to correct me.
      I hope the above helps, Dave, and also lets any other members who were not able to attend how these tests were conducted.

      Don

      Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:13 AM
      Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Saturday's Meeting

      Gang,

      I was unable to attend due to work events but glad everyone had a great time.  Was there a consensus about the differences among speaker cables?  Or was the standard Zip cord indistinguishable from the mega buck blends?  Was curious to attend and try my own hand (or ears, actually) seeing what (if anything) I could determine on this topic so will look forward to those who were in attendance providing their thoughts.

      Regards,

      Dave Burgin
    • vintagehifisteve
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 18, 2012
        Thanks for the write-up Don. I'm sure this was quite an eye opener for most. The fact that a pocket change zip cord could actually perform in the same realm of audiophile grade(and price) cables is quite a shocker. Hopefully this will open up the idea of DIY for a few of you guys. If y'all are interested here is a great website that shows you how to make some fantastic sounding cables from Walmart extension cord (crazy, I know!) for very very cheap. Just cut to length, put on your favorite terminations on, and have fun. I wouldn't advise making the intereconnects on this site as they're not quite up to par as many others on the market though have made quite a few sets of the White Lightning Moonshine cables with great results.
        http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/whitelightning/moonshine.html

        Cheers,
        Steven Zaiontz

        P.S. If anyone needs assistance building a set of these, please let me know. I'm more than willing to help.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 18, 2012
          Hey Don,
          Did we keep the scored results of all the cables and could we post those?
          Alan

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 18, 2012
            Hi, Alan:

            I don’t have the tally sheet that was on the wall; perhaps either Bob or John kept it and can copy them to this site for everyone to share.

            Don

            Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:46 PM

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 18, 2012

              My recollection is that the third cable was john's "Crimson" brand, a British audiophile cable. Im expecting John to publish the entire results.
              Bob